Movie Recommendation Thread

H. Lecter

triplets_of_belleville_ver2.jpg

the triplets of belleville is sooo dope. i watched it with my girlfriend last week... the backgrounds and some of the characters remind me of Os Gemeos.

B0001WTUPI.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpgof course, always been a favourite.

land_of_the_dead_cover.jpgromero kills it.

B0001NBMIK.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpgthis is soo rad. was it noc who painted this character in subway art?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • 2 weeks later...

"Baraka"

barakasce.jpg

I could not use words that would properly describe how great this film is..

or how much I would recommend it..

Beautifully shot in 24 countries in 70mm , it takes far flung aspects of this world

and puts them into relative perspective..

using amazing camera and editing techniques as well as time-lapse photography

, visual metaphors and an excellent music score, this film captivates, confuses and calls you into

it's meaning ..whatever it may be to you..

No words, no script, no storyline.. it is what is.

Even for the individual footage on it's own, it's worth the time and money..

One of the best movies I have seen in a long time..

--

P.S.

It was made by the director of photography for "Koyaanisqatsi" ..

but it is far more beautiful and meaningful..

It did right what Koyaanisqatsi did wrong~

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by H. Lecter@Jan 10 2006, 06:37 PM

"Baraka"

barakasce.jpg

What exactly did Koyaanisqatsi do wrong? They're two different films with two different purposes. I thought Baraka ("Blessing") was a gorgeous film with superior photography, but the statement laid bare by Koyaanisqatsi ("Life Out of Balance") was much more thought-provoking to me. It may not raise too many eyebrows these days, but when that film came out nobody had ever seen humanity from the angle presented in that film.

I guess people will always tend to compare the films because of the style of photography, but that's about where the similarity ends. One's about presenting the beauty of our world through never-before-seen perspectives, the other's about showing us just how fucking crazy we've allowed human society to become. I tend to find the subject matter of the latter more interesting, but they're both excellent movies in their own right.

Originally posted by El Mamerro+Jan 11 2006, 01:11 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (El Mamerro - Jan 11 2006, 01:11 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-H. Lecter@Jan 10 2006, 06:37 PM

"Baraka"

barakasce.jpg

What exactly did Koyaanisqatsi do wrong? They're two different films with two different purposes. I thought Baraka ("Blessing") was a gorgeous film with superior photography, but the statement laid bare by Koyaanisqatsi ("Life Out of Balance") was much more thought-provoking to me. It may not raise too many eyebrows these days, but when that film came out nobody had ever seen humanity from the angle presented in that film.

I guess people will always tend to compare the films because of the style of photography, but that's about where the similarity ends. One's about presenting the beauty of our world through never-before-seen perspectives, the other's about showing us just how fucking crazy we've allowed human society to become. I tend to find the subject matter of the latter more interesting, but they're both excellent movies in their own right.

[/b]

Maybe you should watch Baraka again, I really feel it was far better..

Baraka makes the same statement as Koyaanisqatsi, but uses better and more impactful

visual metaphors.. Chicken processesing plants cut back-and-forth into shots of escalators and subways,

rather than "could-be-better" timed Oscar Meyer and Hostess's cake factory scenes..

Baraka even re-does shots exact shots and scenes in Koyaanisqatsi with far superior technique.. aesthetic and symbolic..

Koyaanisqatsi lacked order and with the exception of a few "chapters" the meaning was something you had to search for and even then were lucky to find.. where as Baraka constantly projects them at you with forceful grace.. keeping you fixed on the screen..

Some scenes in Koyaanisqatsi are absolutely amazing, and were not superceeded by Baraka,

such as the microchip - city grid analogies, alot of the bomb footage and the amazing final shots of the rocket and it's snow-like floating decent to earth timed perfectly with Phillip Glass's music..

So your opinion is surely credible , and I understand your point..

but I just believe that you missed the point of Baraka..

In my opinion the title "Baraka" was used to stir irony considering it's subject matter..

It is the beauty of the world intertwined with the unbalanced, chaotic and destructive qualities that have accompianated it since humans rise to power over it..

It was far more diverse in the physical subjects it chose to film as well as subject matter it chose to present..

Another thing that seriously bothers me about Koyaanisqatsi is that it did'nt leave America..

so how complete of a portrail of humanity is it?

I even think that the soundtrack of Baraka is far better.. What Phillip Glass did was amazing and there are a great amount of points where it fits perfect with the visual,

however the diversity of the soundtrack in Baraka, as well as the fact that they included actual sounds and audio from shots made it far more meaningful and integral to the concepts portrayed..

It was not simply a film postcard from a beautiful earth.. if you believe so, I really suggest you watch it again, and without a decision on it's intended meaning gathered from the VHS/DVD case..

This man Ron Frike knew that Koyaanisqatsi was'nt what it could have or even should have been, and that's why he made Baraka..

Honestly, good to hear your perspective Mammero~

---

about..

"when that film came out nobody had ever seen humanity from the angle presented in that film."

Came to mind and

worth a mention here anyway..

Not quite the perspective of that film, nor presented in the same manner (at all!) ,

but it was definately a start~ and definately a film that helped break the ice for this ship to sail through..

B0001FGBWA.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

&

Mondo-Cane-2-VHS.jpg*My preference of the two

To those reading on,

it's a documentary of sorts from a 3rd "person" perspective of humans and humanity..

Alot of wierd, abnormal and sometimes even disgusting footage of human ritual and behaviour..

Guest imported_El Mamerro

I've been meaning to purchase Baraka soon anyways, cause I still flipped when I saw it (I actually recorded a shitload of scenes from it to play with textures in AfterEffects). It just didn't seem to slap me in the face as solidly as Koy. I'll give it another whirl and tell you my thoughts. Good looking out, Lecter.

Murderball was pretty damn awesome.