Beginning Bible for Graffiti Writers

why write?

I missed that one.

and I am dead serious about the 'just be a guy who writes on things' comment.

The only people who try to be writers are kids in highschool and kids who lack art skills.

here's another tip based on some shit I saw this morning,

DO NOT write excuses, expecially on bombs.

I saw a really shitty drippy toss up and the guy wrote 'too drunk' next to it.

why are you trying to justify that the work is sub-par?

Will I say 'oh... that sucks, but he was drunk so I forgive him'.

that's the kind of person who cares to be a 'writer'.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I tend not to answer any question asked by kids on the subject of graffiti, but it does serve a valid point with todays writers being influence by the internet, and not being schooled by handed down knowledge.. Somebody should complie all this crap neatly,make it a sticky, and then lock it out..

Originally posted by chumbawumba+Feb 8 2005, 04:49 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (chumbawumba - Feb 8 2005, 04:49 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-vare_one@Feb 7 2005, 10:06 AM

DO NOT THINK ITS OK TO BITE this is one of the most common things i see now adays its INTOLERABLE AND NEVER allowed

Note, children, he said don't think its ok to bite, which means it is perfectly alright to excecute the act of biting, just not to think it is alright.

[/b]

i re-correct my self shamelessly lol DONT FUCKIN BITE ITS A NASTY HABIT AND WONT GET U ANY FURTHER INTO UR OWN STYLE WHICH IS WHAT U NEED TO BE THINKING BOUT MORE OK SO NO BITING

here's my take on biting:

when you are just starting out, bite everything you see.

wha? did he just say that?

yes... and no. 'BITE' every piece of graffiti you can find into

your sketch book. Learn what makes a piece work by recreating

it for yourself. Dont trace the work, dont tell anyone it's yours,

and DONT DARE paint what you've copied. Mess around in your book

for as long as it takes to make something that is a collection of everything you've learned.

Then, buy a new sketch book and ONLY draw what you can make up on your own.

Just like with the classic arts, you are expected to do what other people have already done.

Once you master the basics, then you can innovate and do something unique.

DONT for a second even think you can pass off Cubism as your own creation,

so why would you think you can pass off 1990-era wildstyles as something you created.

someone asked for espo's rules?

Espo's Rules Of Graffiti

As published in The Art of Getting Over:

You suck until further notice

It's gonna take a long time before we even acknowledge your existence, even longer before we can bear to look at that foul scribble you call your name. To speed the process of acceptance, you can A) Choose a clever name that defies the norm of simple-minded slang. An example of a good name is "ARGUE" (RIP). It looks good when written, sounds cool when spoken, and conveys a combattive attitude. On the other hand, "ENEMA" (actual name) looks, sounds, and conveys a shitty attitude. BE CHOOSY. B ) Use paint, gain a thorough knowledge of supplies, remember that permission walls, stickers, and dust tags are small parts of a balanced diet, be bold, learn a style of writing for every occassion,and write your name bigger every time you go out.

Jealousy is a diesease for the weak

Your heart is your greatest possession, dont let it get taken from you.

Dont write on houses of worship, people's houses in general, other

writer's names, and tombstones. Writing on memorial walls and cars is beef beyond belief. Furthermore, involving civilians in your beef is grounds for dismissal. These are are the five fingers of your right hand. Get to know them well. Give soul claps, firm handshakes, and throw smooth bolo punches.

Although being a toy seems undesirable, you should enjoy it while you can. At this stage you can bite all you want with no remorse. All your elders will say is, " Awww isn't that cute, kootchie kootchie koo." So steal that dope connection, rob that color scheme. and loot whole letterforms. Dont worry about giving any credit, we'll pat ourselves on the back and brag how we're influencing the next generation. However, style isnt a crutch or a schtick. It is understanding why that connection you bit flows, or why that color scheme bumps. Style is the process to an appealing end. Once you got it down to a science, you can reinvent letterforms to suit yourself. This creative growth will amaze the old and young alike. Pretty soon somebody will steal your secret sauce and the cycle will be renewed. If this happens to you, don't bitch about not getting your due. Graffiti is the language of the ignored. If your style is stolen, someone heard you speaking. You got what you wanted from the beginning, some attention, you big baby.

It must be noted that the vandal squad loves graffiti. Their job requires

them to fiend for graff as much as you do. When you wreck enough walls, they'll want to meet you. Just like the ball huggers outside the graff shop, they'll recite every spot you hit, with the difference being you'll also hear the Miranda Warning. To postpone this, go solo as much as possible. Dont write with anyone that wont fight for you. Don't be paranoid, but be careful. If you avoid writing on pristine properties, you'll stay in misdemeanor territory, and you wont divert the cops' attention from pastry and caffiene consumption (consult local laws to be sure). Remember, if they didn't see you do it, it's almost impossible for them to win a conviction without your own damming testimony. Shut up, shut up, SHUT UP! Giving a cop info on another writer will doom you to a life of ridicule, from cops and kids alike, with no parole.

There's nothing wrong with knowing your the shit as long as you are. But once you reach that conclusion, your one foot over the edge of falling off. Watch your step fathead, there's no shortage of people chanting, "JUMP JUMP JUMP!" There are plenty of writers that have been painting well for the better part of 20 years, and your posing and fronting looks retarded next to them. Get back to work, you "never was" slouch. In conclusion, graffiti is free, impresses the girls, is heroic in our couch potato culture, will provide you with a million stories to tell at parties, and a sure cure for the inner-city blues. If it's not fun, you're doing it wrong or have been doing it too long. So get going, fame awaits the fly among you.

• Like 3

stop asking if u can be in the best crew in ur town/city....get good and you'll be let in anyway....or by that time u could start ur own.

If ur painting a legal wall and u see something thats obviously better than u could ever do...and its only been up for a day or two...dont take it out, take out something thats either A) dogged B) 2 colour chrome or C)painted by another toy.

thankyou. :burn:

some of these are my personal thoughts... and I mostly write alone anyway so I can't tell what the real, true moses rules are... but anyway.

personally, where I'm from I feel like it's all good to have just about anybody and everybody paint something because it's damn boring. to me it's not a bussiness to whine about what's written on walls, so I don't complain if I see a crappy handstyle or someone getting up everywhere with shitty effortless graffiti. Even though this open mindness is a common opinion around here, most people won't take you seriously if you get up all city with your first overnight tag. It's just nonsense, but no one cares really.

if you ask a person "what you write", dont be surprized if you hear a distant cricket sound. In order to breathe and live, you don't need that information. You'll know better when your non-writer little brother asks the same question. Even if you trust him and if he manages to keep his mouth shut, you no longer control the information. all your little brother can do with the knowledge is keep it secret or pass it on. So don't ask that shit. there may be exceptions to this rule but I cant think of any.

Also make sure it's the police, not you who thinks graffiti is a big deal. Graffiti is paint where you want it, and most of the time you shouldn't worry about what you are or what to call it. wether it's graff, writin' vandalism, art or wtf, I think it should be all the same to you. You're not a rock star, nor an artist just cause you paint stuff. you might be one already, but that has nothing to do with you and your aerosol cans. this is actually good to know when you're painting, because it just breaks your concentration if you're role-playing all the time. stay focused and be yourself

• 4 weeks later...

Dont Spray for NO ONE! no one alive that is, theres been a few times

were some norte or serrenio asked me to bomb a wall repping thier set for money. its a good way to get found out if that person starts bragging "oh this guy did it for me" its also a good way to get your ass

wooped or killed if a rival gang finds out it was you. dont do it for your friend, your girlfriend or anyone. i see some writers on tv and they get paid to do it for some rap company in a music video, the way i see it

they are sell outs no matter how good they are.

If you need space to do your piece, at least buff the whole piece thats already there- ESPECIALLY if its way better than your piece will ever be. And of course, this is only possible if they piece got already dissed on, and has been in that state for a few months or so (So that the writer who did it would know so prior to you painting over it). If you just straight up paint over someones piece, and its still possible to tell whose piece that is after youre done, then thats definately disrepectful. Oh, and sidebusting your tags on somebody elses piece is NOT cool. Listen and future beatdowns will be prevented. Its all about repect.

Honestly does it really matter where you store your paint and markers? I can understand sketchbooks and all, but what does it matter if cops find your supplies at home? Owning that stuff isnt illegal right? I guess the only reason youd have a marker in hiding is if its very distictive. For example you got a homemade bright orange paint mop with gold glitter in it or some shit, and you got tags running all around your neighborhood with that marker. I mean even in that case it would be hard for the cops to charge you with it unless you actully confessed to doing all those tags.

Theres a difference to being smart about writing, and being straight paranoid.

yeah but sometimes that difference is hard to see.

and I'm not saying I work this way, but you just hear about people who have arranged their lives. you know... no paint in the house, no sketches no nothing. no fingerprints on cans, hiding away the shoes etc. but then again you would have to get up pretty damn much or this really would be straight paranoia. also you still really can't say if they're over-doing it or not because those guys never get caught unless in-action. If they did, I would probably freak out myself because they were "making sure" about every detail... even if they do get caught the police shouldnt find anything, just use common sense on your behalf, it doesnt hurt if you have a secret loose brick above the fireplace to keep the flicks at...

I have my items all over my apartment and I dont paint the spots that would bring me heat so I guess it doesnt matter... but keep in mind that if you have a large stash of markers, spray cans and other equipment stored NEXT TO the sketches and handstyles and the cops happen to search your house for fun, they most likely will take all your stuff. even if you never did anything illegal. I wouldn't be surprized if they took the fucking oil paint and rollers, house paint and all but watercolors and pencils... anything that stains and they think you MIGHT use illegally.

this is a good quote:

"If you need space to do your piece, at least buff the whole piece thats already there- ESPECIALLY if its way better than your piece will ever be. And of course, this is only possible if they piece got already dissed on, and has been in that state for a few months or so (So that the writer who did it would know so prior to you painting over it). If you just straight up paint over someones piece, and its still possible to tell whose piece that is after youre done, then thats definately disrepectful. Oh, and sidebusting your tags on somebody elses piece is NOT cool. Listen and future beatdowns will be prevented. Its all about respect."

When you go over a piece, its always polite to go all over it so that there are NO TAGS or nothing left half-covered. if you can read it: entity#1 has gone over entity#2, that's usually considered a diss. I havent seen a polite beginner that would know this, but would definately be impressed and happy if I saw one... sort of

Man... i wish i wasnt an idiot... but i meen i had no one to look up to or nuttin just started in my books for like a year cause i thought it was fun then i started tagging... which i know i know before it is said 50 fucking times was stuipid and i know im just some shitty ass toy... also why do all these people say "Fuck this thread has bin done a million times god" well every thread has bin done a million times and if we couldnt redo ones that have then i dont think any forum would survive very long....

For all you writers that have just started and need to ask questions and want some tips....here you go.

General Tips:

- always keep your mouth shut

- never tell people you dont trust that you write graffiti

- dont 'tag up' your backpacks/shoes/hats and other things people will see

- dont write on your school

- keep on a low profile

- avoid any contact with police

::::If police arrest you for painting:

- never say anything, dont say that you did it or did not do it...just keep your mouth shut

- tell them you will not speak until you have a lawyer present

- never rat out your buddies

- dont fall for their phony tricks "oh we will let you go if you just tell us who does it and blah blah blah", it is just a trick to mess with your head to get information out of you

Painting Tips:

- dont go straight out to the streets and make yourself look like a fool

- start by practicing at a chill wall that no one will see, if not a chill wall...get plywood or posterboard or cardboard and anything just to practice till you get it down

- dont go straight out and buy 20 cans of montana and waste your money on some toy shit, buy dollar cans just to start off

Tips on Sketching Pieces:

- at first stay simple ;

this means -simple letters, simple colors.

- master block letters and letters on your keyboard at first then progress from there

Big ups 4 dis tips here... but what should u do if ur up allnight n just have graphing on ur mind... go out n bomb at 3 in the morning stay home n practice or what... n also whats the best time 2 go bombing...oh yeah my bad 1 more thing if u go bombing, how should u go... with some of ur catz or by urself or what man?...hit me up yeah...THANKS :huh2: :huh2: :huh2:

Originally posted by raezker1er@Mar 22 2005, 01:26 AM

Big ups 4 dis tips here... but what should u do if ur up allnight n just have graphing on ur mind... go out n bomb at 3 in the morning stay home n practice or what... n also whats the best time 2 go bombing...oh yeah my bad 1 more thing if u go bombing, how should u go... with some of ur catz or by urself or what man?...hit me up yeah...THANKS :huh2: :huh2: :huh2:

I sure hope youre kidding.

I keep my house clean of any evidence that could be used to build a case against me. You never know when your going to be busted so keep your self on top by not tagging your room, school/college folders or leaving sketches, paint or flicks lying about. It may sound over the top but fuck it.

gloves are always a good idea. if you get rolled on at a spot and you happen to ditch your cans/bag somwhere its not going to do you any good with paint all over your hands. ..also if you carry your cans in shopping bag if you do have to ditch them you dont lose your good bag. if you have no cans and no paint on your hands its harder to connect you to the graffiti. what youre wearing also could fuck up a quick getaway. its not easy to hop fences or run on gravel with a pair of timberlands, a 4X shirt and a triple fat goose. keep it simple.. become a ghost