Beginning Bible for Graffiti Writers

why write?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

new stuff u should know for starting out in a blackbook and practice...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

keep two books...one for practice...that the basic sketch spiral book...

now in this book, u should use pencil more and have little notes on the back of the piece to say what needs to be done...

ex...the pic is crooked, on the back u should have a small note stating what needs to be fixed, or if u post it online...write the comments on the back to remember and read back for them..

u can color in it, but its suggested that u use the cheap shit in this book...simply go to walmart and buy urself some crayola..it's good to know an practice ur coloring....but practice more on ur letters and art mor than the color...color is simply to boost the good comments..not to mention they hide flaws...

do not waste the paper by putting something small on it...

use the whole damn page hence the word practice..use the whole page...that's what its for...use the whole page...it only inhances ur skill.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

the other is a hardcover ( ur choice) this book has in the hardcore nice shit...doesn't matter...it's the better book with advanced coloring,shading and all fancy looking shit...

basically this book should be collecting dust until u can burn and spray a can...otherwords the book stays on the shelf next to ur KY jelly..

i'm a toy..and i know this...common sense on the book.

i'ma post this somewhere else.

if you are 15-18....just go do what ever the fuck you want: write, drink, skate, fight, write, drugs, write, fight, fuck, fuck,write, drink...

you'll thank me when you're steadily employed.

just dont be a chump, listen to what elders have to say and don't blow spots, especialy if you were given permission to write there. if you find a spot that has shit up, find an open space, put up you're best work and come back a week or two later, if you see new shit up, and your peice isn't dissed, that kinda means either "welcome" or "wew dont give fuck, g'head".

if a senior writer wants to have words with you, just listen to him, noone likes to be told, dont be a bitch, and if it comes to fists hold it down best you can...but listen to the asshole and keep your mouth shut, even if you think he's a doushe he has been in it longer and can teach you shit, humilty can be a beautiful thing.

heads up!

you ARE going to meet the po, sooner or later, there is plenty of legal advise already so i will say nothing on it except this: do not be so blind and dumb as to think you can get ups and never meet the cops, you will and you deserve to , its part of the game, and don't go feelin like a victim when it happens if you think its not fair...remember the thousands of dollars of damage you did, yep, welcome to the streets.

roll solo as much as possible. it toughens you up.

get nextel, i have heard numerous chase stories where nextel saved crews from getting busted.

beep beep *1

steel wheels tips for people considering this culture:

1) if you dont already write, dont start.

2) if you are a sensitive person who dosent like criticism, dont start writing.

if you have just started writing:

dont look at this message board or any other website magazine or general graffiti media to learn or get tips. this is a contact sport. graffiti is best when viewed in real time. learn from looking at real graffiti, and by looking at the shit that real writers do...and dont do.

practice if for the birds....dont bother practicing in "chill spots"

just think, what the fuck did people do before there were "chill spots" ? they practiced real spots. graffiti is supposed to be gritty. if all the graffiti in public view was real fresh it would be pretty boring. and besids all the older experienced writers would have nothing to laugh at.

you cant gain the experience of illegal graffiti by painting at chill spots - it dosent make sense.

be safe and smart - this is common sense - requires no explaination.

even if you learn to paint decent in 6 months, you are not a real established writer until you have reached at least the 5 year mark...and i mean 5 years of bombing, not 5 years of practicing at your chill spot or blackbook.

this culture is based on legacy - even if you think your better, the guy who has been around twice as long will probably get more respect, even if you can command a thin cap and make a clean line.

thats all for now.

all this talk and you forgot the cardinal rules

throw ups over tags:

peices over throw ups:

better peices over peices:

dont rag somethin with a bullshit tag:

dont buff someones shit unless you gonna burn the wall better than them...<--you get fucked up for that where im from...

best advice ever

STAY OFF THE INTERNET WITH YOUR SHIT..dont be a self-promo homo.. :hatred: youll get knocked by squaley(this is the police..for all my non DIPSET peoples)!!! evry now and then is cool but dont be a fuckin herb..

peash peash motherfuckers :D

• Like 1

some advice is good to listen to but the best adivce comes from yourself be safe and incognito. And dont rush as a toy just practice. the # on thing i hate is when a toy says how did u do that? a experienced writer will say with my hands so dont ask stupid questions just practice......

Originally posted by insane30@Apr 24 2005, 05:04 PM

"im not a graffiti writer mr.officer,

im a street artist"

ull thank me later...my 2 cents

Thats about the dumbest thing ive ever heard, cops dont care whether you think its art or not. If youre trying to play it off like "hey im doing a mural" first thing hes going to ask is some kind of documentation that you have permission to do this.

TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS

IF YOU GOT A BAD FEELING CHECK YOUR SPOT. CHECK FOR CAMERAS IN ALLEYS. THESE COPS THINK THEY CAN CATCH US BY PUTTING UP CAMERAS THEY THINKING WRONG.

WERE QUICK

WERE SMOOTH

DONT WRITE YOUR NAME AROUND YOUR HOUSE.

STORE YOUR STASH SOMEWHERE GOOD. UNDER YOUR FLOORBOARDS OR IN SAFES. EVEN OLD TREEHOUSES. IF YOU GET CAUGHT

DENY EVERYTHING THEY SAY. MAKE UP SHIT, AND DONT LET THE COPS GET TO YOU. REMEMBER YOU ARE NOT A VANDAL. YOU ARE A ARTIST. NOT THAT COPS GIVE A SHIT, BUT STAY LOW, DONT LET YOUR CLASS KNOW YOU GRAFF, AND DONT PUT YOUR TAG IN YOUR EMAIL ADRESS/MSN NAME!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by SHADER ONE PARIS@May 12 2005, 03:45 PM

Here's my advice: have fun, don't take writing too seriously...too many guys start out having fun with it, and then end up feeling forced to keep going even thought they no longe really take any pleasure doing it.

best advice in this thread

if it aint fun your doing something wrong, or shouldnt be writing anymore

• 2 weeks later...

i've been scetching in a notebook for a few days and ill keep practicing n all but i was curious what type of markers are pens are anything your using to make the outlines it could be what i was making was small but my markers make thick lines.... also what do you use to color the scetches in..

Most of these "rules" apply if you live in a big city with bad ass robocops or wherever, but if you live in a shitty, uncultured little town like me - I swear there's only one other stenciler and I think he's moved on now - I feel lucky to live in such a slack place. The whole town is a massive chill spot.

Don't let the bastards grind you down. If it's in your heart keep it that way.

Listen to this guy:

Think from outside the box.

• Collapse the box and take a fucking sharp knife to it.

• Leave the house before you find something worth staying in for.

• Spray the paint sparingly onto the stencil from a distance of 8 inches.

• Be aware that going on a major mission totally drunk out of your head will result in some truly spectacular artwork and at least one night in the cells.

• When explaining yourself to the Police its worth being as reasonable as possible. Graffiti writers are not real villains. I am always reminded of this by real villains who consider the idea of breaking in someplace, not stealing anything and then leaving behind a painting of your name in four foot high letters the most retarded thing they ever heard of.

• Remember crime against property is not real crime. People look at an oil painting and admire the use of brushstrokes to convey meaning. People look at a graffiti painting and admire the use of a drainpipe to gain access.

• The time of getting fame for your name on its own is over. Artwork that is only about wanting to be famous will never make you famous. Any fame is a by-product of making something that means something. You don't go to a restaurant and order a meal because you want to have a shit.

Lol i read this thread too late, about 2 years late.My homies got me into graff and the first thing they did was send me to artcrimes and my stupid ass was like dayum, ima be peicing wildstyle in about a week! so 2 years later i basically start from square one and do bombs only for a few months. Really makes u reflect on things.

Best advice for the beginner, Stay simple, stay clean, stay up.

dont go tagging with other writers that you dont want your shit bein associated with. for example: if they areyour friend thats cool but if you dont like their tag dont let them put it up with yoursall thetime.

also dont go on a tag walk with someone who doesnt tag no matter how cool they are you never know which faggot is gonna belike" dude let me see your marker" and then write poop on a dumpster if they arennt serious about writing dontlet them writebecause they think it will be cool

this thread will help alot of noobs,but i think its too indepth.i think if some kid just follows simple guidelines,uses common sense these threads wont be needed.me personaly i dont hide my books,paint,flicks,ect under floorboards,like im 007 or something.i just keep the shit on a shelve in books and photoalbums. because i have flicks, sketches ect from all kinds of homies.if my house gets raided i just say i document the art because i love the art form.its good to keep a low profile,but dont be paranoid.

peace remors