does anyone kknow how to fuck up a laptop?

seeking

Originally posted by dowmagik@Jan 5 2005, 09:43 AM

is there anything he can do with static electricity to fry circuits?

I was wondering the same thing.

The damage pretty much has to be some kind of hardware failure right? It can't be because of powersurges or act of god bullshit.

I'm gonna vote for replacing it with an already broken piece. Less chance of them calling bullshit and being left with absolutely nothing.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i would like it to be either the ethernet, or preferably the CD(since both have been fixed several times) and obviously have a history of malfunctioning. if i could find a way to screw up the optics, that would be tits. of course it has to be sneaky though. i cant just tear the drawer out. it has to be something that could be seen as as result of a faulty system.

the problem is that they're replacing the logic board right now, which is basically the entire computer. a brand new logic board is not going to be very likely to just 'overheat' or to fry itself and they're going to be suspicious of anything like that.

i'm real leary of putting it in the oven. if its warm enough to cause it to over heat, its going to be warm enough to melt (or atleast warp) the entirely plastic case.

seeks/gigglefuck

ha. thanks steve.

is there anyway to do it without causing complete meltdown though? im afraid that spraying water all inside of it might be too obvious.

the whole thing doesnt need to be dead, it just needs anything to go wrong. it could simply not recognize the battery or the headphone jack could be not working... anything that requires it to be serviced will be good enough.

Originally posted by Vanity@Jan 4 2005, 10:26 PM

infect it w/ spyware.

or keep fucking w/ the power source..... it'll look like it's just from plugging and unplugging it.

long run... have it contribute to that SETI search shit... it'll just get 'tired' a lot quicker

That won't permanenltly destroy it, all you would have to do would be reinstall everything.

Originally posted by trackstand@Jan 5 2005, 11:48 AM

Don't put it in the oven, it'll melt. especially if it's an old iBook, the shell or whatever is plastic... Oh, use a powerful magnet... Pop the keyboard off and touch a magnet to the motherboard... that should do it.

You're thinking of harddrives, that won't do shit to the motherboard. You'd also need a powerful magnet on the level of an industrial powered degausser.

Guest imported_Tesseract

I think that the best way to pull something like that is to fuck up just the drive. The best way to do that is to slightly move the laser head so the beam would hit cd/dvd disks from a slight angle instead of vertically having as a result not being able to read 90% of the disks you try to access. Thats something that can be done from exsessive use so its convincing enough. You just have to be really carefull not to over do it and make the thing move freely cause then, it will be obvious someone touched it in order to relocate it.

my02

that sounds fantastic.

how does one go about that?

just stick my finger in there and nudge it?

and ive had it in atleast once, ifnot twice for the cd drive, so it'll be totally believable, and[ it wont be something that would otherwise be fixed by the new (better) logic board.

why dont they have giant websites devoted to this shit? someone should start that. warrantyscams.com

Guest imported_Tesseract

haha, true...i think your best bet is a tiny tiny screwdriver or a pin, stick it underneath the optics head and slightly up it from one side.

On a sidenote i had a friend studying in a tech school in london that was making a living out of that shit. He'd knew everybody and had access to the labs so any piece of hardware that got broken he'd collect. Then he dropped all the items on ebay for like 1 pound with a disclaimer 'i dunno if it works so get it for almost free and see for your self' ebayers are competitive fucks and most of that hardware was good stuff (only broken) so he'd get 4-5 pounds at least on each one and make a decent montly income from those suckers.

Guest imported_b0b

I don't know macs at all well, but on a pc I'd try fucking something integral to the motherboard like the I/O controller. This is what controls data between your drives and the processor and if it goes the motherboard would have to be replaced and no it section bothers doing work like that these days - they buy new kit instead cos they are lazy. Replacing a drive is easy so not likely to get you a new machine. Open up the mac, follow the leads form the hard disk and cd to the motherboard and fry where they go into.

As a little extra to all the water on keyboard suggestions: tip some sachets of salt on the keyboard first to help it conduct the electricity better.

how did you break the cd drive the first few times?

edit: on that headphone jack tip you mentioned, ive broken the jack on my mixer a few times, mini plugs are even easier. just jiggle a headphone jack around in there and something will usually fuck up. from my experiences ibooks are touchy as fuck, as are most laptops.

also, id advise against any opening of the machine. theres always a chance you'll slip up on something and they will catch you for tampering with it.

Google around for some common problems with the model of component you want to fuck up and try to replicate it.

I'd just think of a clever way to make it overheat. Unplug the fan, take the heat sink off and let it rock for a while. Best way would probably be to obstruct the fan to burn it out and then let it run with no fan. That way the tech will think it was the fan that caused it and also see some heat damage with the thermal compound they put on the bottom of the heat sinks, if you took the heat sink off it won't have the damage from all that heat. Who knows how long you'd have to let it run in an oven at a low setting.

Take out the hard drive and wrap it up good with something, rags or whatever. Flip it around for a while, drop it all over, or put it in a sock and beat Tease over the head with it. Put it back in, and if it's making grinding/clicking noises after that, you're good to go. Repeat if it's not loud enough.

No one will open up a hard drive to check it out.

what the fuck is all this giggling talk? are we talking abuot "JIGGLING" or is this some technical term that hasn't made it to china yet? maybe they call it "giggering" here or some shit. i don't know. i'm lost.

but if you start fucking with the laser as tesser suggested, DO NOT point it at an airplane.

LOOK ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS TAKE A CD AND PUT IT IN THE FREEZER FOR A FEW DAYS SO IT GETS REALLY BRITTLE. THEN TURN ON THE puter and let it get nice and hot. then pop the cd in and wait for the cd to disintergrate and destroy the CD drive. Boom POW you got shattered cd fucking shit to hell.

thank heavylox.