Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by EnimeeOne@Nov 28 2005, 12:03 PM

Does anyone know a online virus scanner that works for mozilla firefox?

i did have one but it only works if you are in the UK there are non that i know of that will run on the Firefox kernal all online virus scan are based upon active x which is microsoft

this is the link to i

t

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/h...call_launch.php

I can not get onto my school email or Gmail, or sign in on ebay with firefox or internet explorer. With firefox it says "the connection was refused when attempting to contact ...." and with internet explorer it just says the page cannot be displayed. If anyone has any idea how to help me with this i really would appreciate it.

currently using 2 x 256 pc 800 RDRAM

my other computer has a virus, in the cab system folder (not sure the exact file name right now, norton cant deal with it because the file is in use, as soon as the comp boots up.) but on the advice of my friend who had a smiliarly placed virus, if i put my harddrive into an external case and usb it to another computer i can go in to it and fix it. but since theres nothing of great importance on the harddrive, i figured why not scrap it, and while im at it upgrade it.

so im going to get a new harddrive and ram. is this the right way to go about it? and if so, what is the proper procedure for upgrading these? all the ram has to go when u upgrade, right?

this will get rid of the virus? or is it likely that it is also in another memory say, a graphic card?

back to procedure, take out both ram and harddrive, and then which goes in first? doesnt matter?

any help would be appreciated, im supplementing this with the advice of my uncle, but i dont want to bother him too much.

Originally posted by Mainter+Nov 28 2005, 01:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mainter - Nov 28 2005, 01:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-EnimeeOne@Nov 28 2005, 12:03 PM

Does anyone know a online virus scanner that works for mozilla firefox?

i did have one but it only works if you are in the UK there are non that i know of that will run on the Firefox kernal all online virus scan are based upon active x which is microsoft

this is the link to i

t

http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/consumer/h...call_launch.php

[/b]

Champ.. thanks matey

Originally posted by TiCaLiOn sTaLiOn@Nov 28 2005, 12:45 PM

I can not get onto my school email or Gmail, or sign in on ebay with firefox or internet explorer. With firefox it says "the connection was refused when attempting to contact ...." and with internet explorer it just says the page cannot be displayed. If anyone has any idea how to help me with this i really would appreciate it.

SSL settings or your connection?

maybe a firewall

GODAMNIT.

ok, i dont mean to intrude, but this fucking error shit is pissing me off. Everything was gravy until i had to reinstall windows for a reason i shall not get into now. Since then, whenever there's any type of streaming video on any webpage (except .mov) i get the following error message:

Illegal Operation in Plugin
Windows Media Player Plug-in Dynamic Link Library
The plugin performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Navigator.

I've been searching all over the net and have tried everything so far, including a Windows Media Player regfile that was sposed to fix this and NOTHING. If any of you all could please help with a solution, i'd be greatful.

Oh, and it's in both Mozilla and IE, so it must be some shit up with WMP?

-mindv

Originally posted by WhoGotJokes@Nov 28 2005, 04:30 PM

currently using 2 x 256 pc 800 RDRAM

my other computer has a virus, in the cab system folder (not sure the exact file name right now, norton cant deal with it because the file is in use, as soon as the comp boots up.) but on the advice of my friend who had a smiliarly placed virus, if i put my harddrive into an external case and usb it to another computer i can go in to it and fix it. but since theres nothing of great importance on the harddrive, i figured why not scrap it, and while im at it upgrade it.

so im going to get a new harddrive and ram. is this the right way to go about it? and if so, what is the proper procedure for upgrading these? all the ram has to go when u upgrade, right?

this will get rid of the virus? or is it likely that it is also in another memory say, a graphic card?

back to procedure, take out both ram and harddrive, and then which goes in first? doesnt matter?

any help would be appreciated, im supplementing this with the advice of my uncle, but i dont want to bother him too much.

no you do not need to do that all you need to do is format your hard drive

pop in your windows xp setup cd and delete all partitions on the hard drive

if you are using 95 - ME use the FDISK command to delete the partitions

and create a new one then install windows back on the computer

BUT LETS START SIMPLE FIRST TRY TO BOOT TO SAFEMODE IF YOUCAN GET TO SAFEMODE GOTO

START:

RUN:

TYPE IN: MSCONFIG

PRESS ENTER:

A PROGRAM WILL POP UP CALLED SYSTEM CONFIG......

ON THE FAR RIGHT PRESS THE STARTUP TAB:

SELECT DISABLE ALL:

THEN GO TO THE SERICES TAB:

CHECKMARK THE HIDE ALL MICROSOFT SERVICES:

THEN PRESS DISABLE ALL:

PRESS APPLY:

PRESS OK:

RESTART YOUR COMPUTER BACK IN SAFEMODE

NOW YOU WILL BEABLE TO RUN NORTON..... WITH NOTHING ELSE RUNNING IN THE BACKGROUND THIS INCLUDES THE VIRUS HOPEFULLY NORTON WILL FIND IT AND DELETE IT ALSO DELETE ALL SYSTEM RESTORE POINTS BECAUSE IF THE VIRUS IS IN THE CAB LIKE YOU SAID IT WILL BE ABLE TO TRAVEL THROUGH ALL THE SYSTEM RESTORES

AND IF YOU JUST DONT WANT TO DO ANY OF THIS SEND ME THE HARD DRIVE AND MEMORY I WILL BE HAPPY TO TAKE IT OFF YOUR HANDS :laugh1: DONT THROW AWAY

Originally posted by mindvapors@Nov 28 2005, 09:33 PM

GODAMNIT.

ok, i dont mean to intrude, but this fucking error shit is pissing me off. Everything was gravy until i had to reinstall windows for a reason i shall not get into now. Since then, whenever there's any type of streaming video on any webpage (except .mov) i get the following error message:

The plugin performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart Navigator.

I've been searching all over the net and have tried everything so far, including a Windows Media Player regfile that was sposed to fix this and NOTHING. If any of you all could please help with a solution, i'd be greatful.

-mindv

DIRECTX9C HAS A BUG IN IT THAT MESSES WITH WMP AND WINAMP DELETE IT IF YOU CAN AND REINSTALL DX9B

Other than that You can check your codec setup, try G-Spot, it will id all the codecs and tell you if any are 'broken'.

Originally posted by ARCEL+Nov 28 2005, 09:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ARCEL - Nov 28 2005, 09:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-TiCaLiOn sTaLiOn@Nov 28 2005, 12:45 PM

SSL settings or your connection?

maybe a firewall

[/b]

MOST LIKLEY IF ITS A SCHOOL YOUR WORKSTATIONS ARE RUNNING THROUGH PROXY SERVERS THAT RUN TO A MAIN SERVER SOMWHERE ELSE IN THE BUILDING THE REASON YOU CANNOT GET OUT TO THEM SITES IS BECAUSE THEY ARE BLOCKED AND BEING MONITORED ( LIKE ARCEL SAID ITS A FIREWALL) YOU ARE MENT TO BE AT SCHOOL TO DO WORK NOT LOOK UP PERSONAL STUFF BUT WHO CARES... I COULD BE NICE AND TELL YOU HOW TO GET PAST ALL THAT STUFF BUT IM TO TIRED RIGHT NOW

NEVER NOTICED YOU PEOPLE KEPT CASEK SO BUSY LOL

KEEP UP THE GOOD QUESTIONS

TiCaLiOn sTaLiOn i guess i will be nice this is one way to get past the firewall use IP addresses not domain names example

the IP for this site is 204.215.12.10 put that into your browser instead of the name this works because school proxy servers do not have DNS now there is another way by using tunneling but this is a pain in the ass go here

http://theproxyconnection.com/firewallsupport.html

oh one more way if the proxy is blocking IPv4 adresses use ipv6 this uses hexadecimal IP addresses but to learn this you better pay attation in math class

i've got one

there's a problem with my cd drive/burner. the cds it makes do not play in my cd player. winamp does not recognize the fresh blank cds i got. i was going to try a firmware update, but don't know the make and model of the drive. i am not only too lazy to take it out and look for the info, but suspect it may not be there. device manager says it's an "HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B".

Originally posted by ARCEL@Nov 29 2005, 03:02 AM

i've got one

there's a problem with my cd drive/burner. the cds it makes do not play in my cd player. winamp does not recognize the fresh blank cds i got. i was going to try a firmware update, but don't know the make and model of the drive. i am not only too lazy to take it out and look for the info, but suspect it may not be there. device manager says it's an "HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8240B".

yeah its firmware issue yer drive is LG here is the site for the firmware upgarde so take yer lazy ass to the website and follow directions lol

hmm had to edit this cause i forgot to put in the link lets try again

http://us.lgservice.com/index_b2c.jsp

the site is so stupid it will not let you link to the right location so sense you are lazy i will give you a step by step

when you click the link the site will come up

PRESS ;DEVICE DRIVERS

UNDER PRODUCT SELECT CD-ROM

UNDER SUBJECT TYPE IN: GCE-8240B

PRESS SEARCH

THEN SELECT THE ONLY FIRMWARE ON THE LIST AND GO FROM THERE

hey thanks for the helpvMainter, but i am not using it at school i am using it at home, i just can't access my school email, basically anything where i have to login it won't let me. I have been trying to figure it out but i can't if anyone knows of anything else to do please let me know!! thanks

Originally posted by Mainter+Nov 29 2005, 12:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mainter - Nov 29 2005, 12:34 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-mindvapors@Nov 28 2005, 09:33 PM

GODAMNIT.

-mindv

DIRECTX9C HAS A BUG IN IT THAT MESSES WITH WMP AND WINAMP DELETE IT IF YOU CAN AND REINSTALL DX9B

Other than that You can check your codec setup, try G-Spot, it will id all the codecs and tell you if any are 'broken'.

[/b]

i'm down with codecs like woah usually (i view all realplayer and quicktime movies with WMP), but i guess this one decided to fuck me. nice tho, im DLing 9b right now, hope it works!

**EDIT: i installed 9b over watever i had and nothing, so im trying a DX9 uninstaller now.

Originally posted by TiCaLiOn sTaLiOn@Nov 29 2005, 01:00 PM

hey thanks for the helpvMainter, but i am not using it at school i am using it at home, i just can't access my school email, basically anything where i have to login it won't let me. I have been trying to figure it out but i can't if anyone knows of anything else to do please let me know!! thanks

lol sorry bout that then lets told ya I was tired when i wrote that so lets try again

this seems simple go to intewrnet explorer

TOOLS:

INTERNET OPTIONS:

SECURITY TAB: "DEFAULT LEVEL"

CONTENT TAB: "CLEAR SSL STATE"/ AUTO COMPLETE "CLEAR FORMS AND PASSWORDS"

ADVANCED: PRESS RESTORE DEFAULT

ALL THE WAY DOWN THERES A SECUITY WITH A LOCK ICON IN THAT LIST YOU WILL SEE "USE SSL 2.0"/USE SSL 3.0 MAKE SURE THEM 2 HAVE CHECKMARKS ON THEM

PRESS APPLY: THEN OK

NOW YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO ACCESS SECURED WEBSITES ON INTERNET EXPLORER

NOW FOR FIREFOX GOTO

TOOLS:

OPTIONS:

ADVANCED: YOU WILL SEE SECURITY AND A LIST OF 3 THINGS UNDER IT CHECKMARK ALL 3 PRESS OK AND YOU ARE DONE

NOW IF THIS DOES NOT WORK DISABLE WINDOWS SP2 FIREWALL AND TRY AGAIN

IF THAT DONT WORK AND YOU GOT A FIREWALL SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE FIREWALL YOU HAVE TO OPEN PORT 443 THIS IS THE SSL PROTOCOL ALSO MAKE SURE PORT 110 AND 25 ARE OPEN THESE ARE FOR YOUR EMAIL

folks its important to download the latest updates from windows

http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/...t.aspx?ln=en-us

when you reinstall windows after the computer crashes or you are doing spring cleanup to wipeout the harddrive you do need to go to windows update and download all the windows updates recommended by microsoft even if you use Firefox as your default browser you are still on a windows machine.....

and for the people that are using hacked versions of windows go here to download microst updates

http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ that way you dont have to download the genuine keychecker

?? i dunno but the fact that i'm sitting at home online and typing this is amazing to me...since i dont have an internet connection in my apartment....

:pets his linksys wireless card and ibm laptop while looking lovingly at his thin walls wondering who in the complex has wireless:

thank goodness for stupid people who dont know how to secure there connection and give free bandwidth

If you decide to go with wireless for your home networking needs, make sure you secure your home network against intrusion. Many wireless networks are automatically set up so that someone with a wireless card could come by your house--or live next door--and access your home network and the Internet using your connection. To ensure that your data is safe and your network bandwidth isn't compromised from the outside, you can do a couple of simple things. First, make sure your wireless access point isn't broadcasting its service set identifier (SSID), which will prevent most cards from even finding your network. Then, harden your network from the outside by hard-coding the Media Access Control (MAC) addresses of your wireless cards into the management software for your access point, so that only your machines can use the network. Be sure to use 128-bit encryption, if possible, and if you're using a bridged network, with wireless and wired components, consider keeping them separate so that machines on the wireless network can't access resources on the wired one. Also, be sure that you've got the latest firmware update for your wireless access point; many companies, such as Apple, Linksys, and others, have shipped crucial security updates for their hardware.

Come On People Read The DAMN INSTRUCTIONS!!!! THATS WHY THEY ARE THERE

So my roommate knows dick about computers and ended up getting a virus/spyware through AIM. It was something like "Hey, is this you?" With an official looking link. After he clicked the link it sent the same message to everyone in his buddy list. Now his PC acts as little more than an in room billboard, ads upon ads. I ran spyware seach and destroy and adaware on his PC, but it still has MAD pop ups. Any idead?

Originally posted by I.C.Shadow+Dec 1 2005, 08:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (I.C.Shadow - Dec 1 2005, 08:34 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>So my roommate knows dick about computers and ended up getting a virus/spyware through AIM. It was something like "Hey, is this you?" With an official looking link. After he clicked the link it sent the same message to everyone in his buddy list. Now his PC acts as little more than an in room billboard, ads upon ads. I ran spyware seach and destroy and adaware on his PC, but it still has MAD pop ups. Any idead?

[/b]

start > run > MSconfig - go to the startup tab and remove anything that looks shady - for example keep anythign to do with the applications you use (winzip, aim, MS Office, winamp, msn messenger.. ) and if it sounds dodgy then it probably is... This will stop whatever nasty shit is starting when you boot up your PC (this requires a reboot).

If that doesnt help download 'HiJack This' (can be easily found with a google search) and do pretty much the same with that.

<!--QuoteBegin-Yellow Feets@Dec 1 2005, 09:06 AM

Alright, stupid question but...

My USB port thing is completely fucked. My scanner won't work alongside the digi cam. And the problem isn't the USB cable or either of the devices. It's definetly the USB port. Can I replace this or do I have to buy a whole new computer?

Quick example from a google search -

http://www.verbatim.com.au/products/interface_cards_USB.cfm

all sounds good, to ARCEL yes not ALL but most support audio the other ones are data cds you can put mp3,flac,ogg format (music formats) just not .wav or .cda when they get converted to be put on disc when burned they will play in the computer just not home audio systems, and to Rental no i aint casek

oh and to Yellow Feets its your usb controller that got fried mine went out too but my shit was under warranty also to say it was on my monitor not processer but yeah anyway use that link that DRSEV posted