Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

ok new problem that i dont expect to find an answer to:

someone gave me an old computer (not all that old.. it was better than my 750 mhz). I played some music on it and the soundcard sucked. I went to uninstall it, but it is part of the motherboard. I disabled it and installed the sound card from my old comp. It went smoothly and worked fine.

I didn't listen to it all that much, but I moved. I get into the new crib, set up shop and *poof* no sound. Tried reinstalling the drivers and nothing but an error message saying bad drivers. I try going back to the old sound card, but now get the same message. Now, it'd be great to get one of them working, but I'm also looking to upgrade to a more professional soundcard.

So here's my dillemmas:

-anyway to get 1 of the old ones running?

- if i install a new one (PCI), do i need to worry about conflicts?

thanks

Oh Wise One,

I just bought Call of Duty 2, and installed it on my Dell Dimension 4700. However, when I try and play it, a message comes up that DirectX has encountered an unrecoverable error and closes.

Now I've done everything in the DirectX FAQ's, and I have downloaded the latest version but still no joy. What's the deal? Is this a video or sound card problem? Do I need to buy new ones?

Please help, Rev.

hmm, let me tell you my specs.

athlon 1.96 ghz

512 ram

128 meg ati 9250 video

sb live 24 bit 7.1 channel soundcard

runs perfectly on my system.

as for directx...i've had some similar probs,

download the full directx from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...en&Hash=V93YHY5

and reinstall.

let me know what happens after you get it reinstalled and restart your computer

p.s.: i already did the genuine advantage thing for you.

OK I don't know if this is what you need but...

Windows XP v. 2002

Service Pack 2

Dell Dimension 4700

128 MB Intel Adapter

Pentium 4 CPU 3.4 GHz, 3.39 GHz, 0.99 GB of RAM

I have no idea what those mean....

Also, when I'm downloading DirectX, should I just run it instead of saving it? I did what you said and there's still the same problem...

Originally posted by ARCEL@Nov 16 2005, 05:09 PM

the cds i made on my computer play fine on my computer, but they don't work in my cd player. i used windows media player to make them. what the hell do i do to make proper cds? a cd that i made a couple years ago works fine.

It's almost definitely the type of CD you're using that's causing the problem. I was having a similar problem, where my burned CDs would only play up to track 15 or 16 and wouldn't read the rest. I tried a different brand of CDR, and it works fine now.

Also, Casek, I'm surprised your computer has no problems playing COD2 given your specs.

Originally posted by Herbivore+Nov 21 2005, 12:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Herbivore - Nov 21 2005, 12:12 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-ARCEL@Nov 16 2005, 05:09 PM

the cds i made on my computer play fine on my computer, but they don't work in my cd player. i used windows media player to make them. what the hell do i do to make proper cds? a cd that i made a couple years ago works fine.

It's almost definitely the type of CD you're using that's causing the problem. I was having a similar problem, where my burned CDs would only play up to track 15 or 16 and wouldn't read the rest. I tried a different brand of CDR, and it works fine now.

Also, Casek, I'm surprised your computer has no problems playing COD2 given your specs.

[/b]

2 ghz, 512 megs ram, ati radeon 9250 video card with 128 megs of ram....

i'm playing gta san andreas too. all fine. no glitches.

my comp is tuned to performance.