Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I have another qustion. I have a linksys wireless router. I just got a new iMac G5 with airport, but I lose connection for maybe 1-2 seconds every 5 minutes. Sometimes the internet will just stop working (1-2 times a day) and we have to unplug the modem, unplug the router, then plug them back in again. After that it works fine. So annoying having to do that all the time =p Any ideas?

::edit:: in the past 4 mins it has disconected 3 times.... Shit's awful

i dont have good news for you I.C but i was reading up on this question sense i do not know much about MACS but alot of people are having problems this is do to APPLE the airport extreme was not fully ready for the 802.11g standard (type of wireless) and this is a standard that is supported by your linksys router

on the other hand you need to keep wireless routers away from microwaves , 9.2 ghz cordless phones run on the same frequency which may mess up the signal

any other suggestions on this question please post

oh got something to add check with apple and linksys for firmware and drivers

also linksys has a free good live technical support website

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper

Casek.. forgot to say thanks for the lead.. AVG and Sygate create the beast of internet security. Sygate even lets you know when your being port scanned, and AVG is just ill because it uses an internet database for its definitions rather than infesting your computer with 0's and 1's... and best of all... i dont have to steal it (er, buy it, that is)!!!!!111!1

thanks again sunny!

Originally posted by guerillaeye@Dec 3 2005, 05:19 PM

Casek.. forgot to say thanks for the lead.. AVG and Sygate create the beast of internet security. Sygate even lets you know when your being port scanned, and AVG is just ill because it uses an internet database for its definitions rather than infesting your computer with 0's and 1's... and best of all... i dont have to steal it (er, buy it, that is)!!!!!111!1

thanks again sunny!

damn are you that scared about security on a home PC what the hell you trying to hide if you are that anal about being secure you should not even be online cause you get tracked by all different types of ways them programs are good but they DO NOT STOP INTRUDERS IF THEY WANT IN THEY WILL GET IN!!!!!!

guerillaeye

i got a bunch of tools that will help you (protect your connection) try them on yerself and see if they get threw your network

I do not condone using these tools to expolit neighbors networks unless you got writtin agreements with them you will go to jail if you are caught using them wrong

(just saving my own ass)

have fun kids

so perhaps someone can explain this.

I have a comcast account. Do I have a definative url dedicated to me? Or is it some generic comcast one that a search would get stopped at the comcast company. Like for instance, if the man wanted to find out who made my 12oz post, would they be able to track me my specific computer here at home, or only as far as comcast? And then could comcast trace me to my account whne they assigned my url. And are web pages the same? Like a websites owner can be traced?

sorry for the rambling

dumy: niggas can\\\'t stop me. damn.

birch: you mean an ip address....it\\\'s not dedicated to you, in all probablity it\\\'s an ip given to you and several others....what the man will look for is your mac address.

to see such things, you should go to a command prompt

start/accessories/command prompt

and type ipconfig/all

that will show your mac, your ip, and some more info that you shouldn\\\'t be concerned with.

to be stealth, you need to do several things.

go back in this thread and i explain proxy servers, security, etc etc.

there\\\'s alot you can do to make yourself invisible. for example, right now, as i post this, it would appear to the admins that i am coming from europe or mexico...somewhere. in fact, i\\\'ve always used a proxy for this site.

niggas can\\\'t stop me.

anyhow, do some reading in this thread. i link you to nsa standards for security, stealthing (proxy servers), tools, etc.

don\\\'t front you know you bitches miss me.

heh, the slashes mean i\'m awesome.

Alright, I'm in the market for a new monitor, because the CRT I have now probably isn't going to last much longer. I want to get an LCD, but from what I read, they're not the best for gaming. Regardless, I still want one, so does anyone know of a specific model that's good for gaming? I know all about the specs, and what to look for, but specs can be misleading (the different ways companies measure pixel pitch, black-to-white refresh rate vs. gray-to-gray, etc.) and the reviews posted on sites like newegg.com are often contradicting. One guy will claim the monitor is awesome while another says it ghosts a lot and sucks in general. Also, I'd rather not buy the monitor online, because a lot of vendors have annoying dead pixel policies and won't always replace the monitor if a few pixels are dead.

Basically, I'm looking for some info from people who own LCDs and play games a lot. Let me know what's good.

* And I'd prefer something that's sold in stores so I can actually go and look at it first to see if I like the quality.

LCDs are generally not very good for serious (read: professional) 2D graphics work. the colors are not as true as on a well calibrated as a CRT.

for gaming, go with the lowest response time panels. the 17in and 19in models from Viewsonic (the newest versions) look very carefully at the refresh rate of an LCD. the best you are gonna get with a LCD response/refresh rate is 17ms

good response/refresh times for a CRT (8ms, 16ms).

you will spend a pretty so if you are really into gaming like running the new quake 4,call of duty the big graphic eatters stick with a CRT

Also, don't forget to check out the contrast for a certain monitor, good values are 600:1 or 700:1 - ie. blacker blacks and whiter whites.

oh one more thing to add for a LCD look for active matrix display

DO NOT GET A passive matrix display

so putting that all together you got to do your homework on LCDS if you dont just get a CRT old technology is the best technology thats why it stayed around for so long

Originally posted by John Birch@Dec 8 2005, 12:44 AM

so perhaps someone can explain this.

I have a comcast account. Do I have a definative url dedicated to me? Or is it some generic comcast one that a search would get stopped at the comcast company. Like for instance, if the man wanted to find out who made my 12oz post, would they be able to track me my specific computer here at home, or only as far as comcast? And then could comcast trace me to my account whne they assigned my url. And are web pages the same? Like a websites owner can be traced?

sorry for the rambling

richard explained it well

but just to add dont worry about it everyone is getting traced by (The Government) lol

just throw a anonymous IP blocker/proxy and you will be set all free if you know how to look and keep your virus definitions up to date theres alot of open source antivirus programs that work great just google them

but my choice go get norton and use a great free program called http://www.ccleaner.com/ to clean all them tracing things

Originally posted by Mainter@Dec 8 2005, 03:17 PM

for gaming, go with the lowest response time panels. the 17in and 19in models from Viewsonic (the newest versions) look very carefully at the refresh rate of an LCD. the best you are gonna get with a LCD response/refresh rate is 17ms

good response/refresh times for a CRT (8ms, 16ms).

See, I don't know... this monitor advertises a 3ms gray-to-gray response time, and a 5ms black-to-white response time. But then some of the reviews claim that it's not all that fast. Plus, I'm really nervous about getting a monitor with some dead pixels, as most companies won't send a replacement unless it has over 7 or 8. I'm done with CRT, though, I definitely want LCD. We'll see, I'm going to check out what they have at CompUSA today after work.

Originally posted by Mainter+Dec 3 2005, 10:52 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mainter - Dec 3 2005, 10:52 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-guerillaeye@Dec 3 2005, 05:19 PM

thanks again sunny!

damn are you that scared about security on a home PC what the hell you trying to hide if you are that anal about being secure you should not even be online cause you get tracked by all different types of ways them programs are good but they DO NOT STOP INTRUDERS IF THEY WANT IN THEY WILL GET IN!!!!!!

[/b]

actually, my original concern was with the size of norton. that fucking program takes up too much memory and the definition database is has too much info to just sit on your hd.. but with AVG, its just a shell that scans your computer and cross-references an internet database (i think the whole program is just over a few megs), thus freeing up your computer vital ram and hd space.. plus norton sucks. and im not worried about someone walking in one of my many open ports, i would just like to know when one does, and sygate notifies me of just that.

Thanks for the tips. I was reading all the secuirty stuff above and just kinda needed it put into perspective.

Anyway, talking about monitors, I just bought one today. Actually last night after I made my post here, my old viewsonic 19 crt that I had for 4 years conked out. after spending all last night troubleshooting I decided to buy a new one, which I had been planning to do for a few months now anyway.

So I got a Samsung 960BF 19 flatscreen lcd monitor at best buy.

my new monitor

I guess its pretty cool, but I've spent all day trying to configure the color/contrast setting etc... Its seems a bit bright and the programs included to adjust the monitor keep freezing my computer... I haven't tried any gaming yet, but I'll let yous know, but I agree with what mainter wrote above, I'm not sure how good it looks looking at photos and using photoshop and using mapping software etc which I use professionally (ooooooops?)... also the text seems a little fuzzy or maybe its just my eyes...

BTW the refresh rate is 4ms!!!!

what do you guys think?

good choice or no?

Originally posted by John Birch@Dec 8 2005, 08:31 PM

Anyway, talking about monitors, I just bought one today. Actually last night after I made my post here, my old viewsonic 19 crt that I had for 4 years conked out. after spending all last night troubleshooting I decided to buy a new one, which I had been planning to do for a few months now anyway.

So I got a Samsung 960BF 19 flatscreen lcd monitor at best buy.

my new monitor

I guess its pretty cool, but I've spent all day trying to configure the color/contrast setting etc... Its seems a bit bright and the programs included to adjust the monitor keep freezing my computer... I haven't tried any gaming yet, but I'll let yous know, but I agree with what mainter wrote above, I'm not sure how good it looks looking at photos and using photoshop and using mapping software etc which I use professionally (ooooooops?)... also the text seems a little fuzzy or maybe its just my eyes...

I actually just bought a new monitor last night myself. I went to CompUSA with the intention of buying (or at least checking out) this ViewSonic. However, when I looked at it in person, the text looked pretty shitty, and fucked with my eyes... so I ended up getting this Sony. I had heard a lot of good things about Sony monitors, and despite the review, it's actually really good (in my opinion, at least).

In reference to your comments, though, I had to turn the "backlight" setting for my monitor all the way down to 0, and the "brightness" down to like 30 (out of 100), and it's still pretty bright.

Regarding the blurry text, there may be a way for you to fix that. My monitor came with some software to help me calibrate the settings to make everything look "good". However, if I followed the instructions it made text look really really shitty. There's an option on my monitor for sharpness that drastically affects the way text looks. Set at the right level, text looks amazingly crisp, so see if your monitor has an option like that. I wish I had known about that when I was in the store looking at the ViewSonic with the "shitty text", because I would've fiddled around more with the controls for it. Anyway, I'm fairly satisfied with my purchase. I did, however, get the shaft with the rebates. There were two rebates available, one for $70, and one for $30.... but they both require I send the original barcode from the box. Kind of fucked up, but whatever.