Caseks-Computer-Corner

RumPuncher

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Originally posted by Herbivore+Dec 9 2005, 09:37 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Herbivore - Dec 9 2005, 09:37 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-John Birch@Dec 8 2005, 08:31 PM

Anyway, talking about monitors, I just bought one today. Actually last night after I made my post here, my old viewsonic 19 crt that I had for 4 years conked out. after spending all last night troubleshooting I decided to buy a new one, which I had been planning to do for a few months now anyway.

So I got a Samsung 960BF 19 flatscreen lcd monitor at best buy.

my new monitor

I guess its pretty cool, but I've spent all day trying to configure the color/contrast setting etc... Its seems a bit bright and the programs included to adjust the monitor keep freezing my computer... I haven't tried any gaming yet, but I'll let yous know, but I agree with what mainter wrote above, I'm not sure how good it looks looking at photos and using photoshop and using mapping software etc which I use professionally (ooooooops?)... also the text seems a little fuzzy or maybe its just my eyes...

I actually just bought a new monitor last night myself. I went to CompUSA with the intention of buying (or at least checking out) this ViewSonic. However, when I looked at it in person, the text looked pretty shitty, and fucked with my eyes... so I ended up getting this Sony. I had heard a lot of good things about Sony monitors, and despite the review, it's actually really good (in my opinion, at least).

In reference to your comments, though, I had to turn the "backlight" setting for my monitor all the way down to 0, and the "brightness" down to like 30 (out of 100), and it's still pretty bright.

Regarding the blurry text, there may be a way for you to fix that. My monitor came with some software to help me calibrate the settings to make everything look "good". However, if I followed the instructions it made text look really really shitty. There's an option on my monitor for sharpness that drastically affects the way text looks. Set at the right level, text looks amazingly crisp, so see if your monitor has an option like that. I wish I had known about that when I was in the store looking at the ViewSonic with the "shitty text", because I would've fiddled around more with the controls for it. Anyway, I'm fairly satisfied with my purchase. I did, however, get the shaft with the rebates. There were two rebates available, one for $70, and one for $30.... but they both require I send the original barcode from the box. Kind of fucked up, but whatever.

[/b]

to keep this short it really does only matter about your eyes if you see really good or it looks like shit all dependes on you thats why i always look at a group of reviews from all sources because everyones option is different but then just average them out

Okay I am going to start posting my top calls of the day

Calls that i get at work dealing with Tech Support

* Me: "Customer Support may I help you?"

* Customer: "Hello, yes, it's me."

* Me: "Oh, it's me too." [chuckle]

* Customer: "No, Esmie. E, s, m, i, e."

* Me: "Oh, sorry."

Last but not least for today.

* Me: "I need you to right-click on the Open Desktop."

* Customer: "Ok."

* Me: "Did you get a pop-up menu?"

* Customer: "No."

* Me: "Ok. Right click again. Do you see a pop-up menu?"

* Me: "Ok, sir. Can you tell me what you have done up until this point?"

* Customer: "Sure, you told me to write 'click' and I wrote 'click'."

(At this point I had to put the caller on hold to tell the rest of the tech support staff what had happened. I couldn't, however, stop from giggling when I got back to the call.)

* Me: "Ok, did you type 'click' with the keyboard?"

* Customer: "I have done something dumb, right?"

Originally posted by Mainter@Dec 10 2005, 01:33 AM

yeppers it will i got plenty they come in all day long

Tech Support World Wide, BIOTCH!!!!

Guy was told... "there might be a problem with your connection"

next thing.. homie is going to climb up the fire escape to check the connections. wow.

i feel like telling people.. "you know the box that came with your computer?"... "go ahead and place the computer back in the box and dont touch it again."

This one was just to funny to keep to myself

* Me: "Ok, can you see the arrow in the middle of the screen?"

* Customer: "Yes."

* Me: "Good! Now trying moving the mouse around. Do you see the arrow moving?"

* Me: "Not even a little?"

* Customer: "No, not at all."

I spent several minutes having the user follow the cable from the the mouse to the back of the PC. It was plugged in all the way.

* Me: "Ok, try moving it again. Up, down, left, right -- anything?"

* Customer: "Nope, still nothing."

* Me: "Hmmm, maybe the table is too slippery -- why don't you try rolling the mouse on a book or a piece of paper?"

* Customer: "Oh!! On the table!"

[1969]

The ARPA (Advanced Research Projects Agency) originates the Arpanet (Advanced Research Projects Agency Network), a service designed to provide efficient ways to communicate for scientists. Bolt Beranek and Newman who won an ARPA contract to design and build a network of Interface Message Processors (IMPS) which act as gateways to other mainframes. Within a few days of delivery machines at UCLA and Stanford link up for the first time and Arpanet is founded. Later the network expands to four nodes (networks) consisting of the University of California Los Angeles, University of California Santa Barbara, University of Utah and the Stanford Research Institute. This system would evolve to be known as the Internet or the Information Super Highway.

• Customer: "I have just received your software, but I have these plastic things, what are they?"

• Me: "Could you describe them please?"

• Customer: "They are black plastic, thin, and square."

• Me: "Anything else?"

• Customer: "They have a metal bit on one edge."

• Me: "Disks?"

• Customer: "Well, I don't know, do I? I just brought your package. What do I do with them?"

I see a horrible call ahead, and the customer is quite irate already.

• Me: "Put the disks in the drive."

• Customer: "What's a drive?"

• Me: "The slot in your machine that looks just the right size for the disk."

• Customer: "Which machine?"

• Me: "Do you have a hard drive?"

• Customer: "I have two boxes. One has a picture on it."

• Me: "Put the first disk in, metal side first."

• Customer: "Ok. It's gone in."

• Me: "Go to the 'start' button, then run, then type 'setup'."

• Customer: "My computer isn't on. How do I turn it on?"

• Me: "Push the button by the drive to eject the disk, and press the button that says 'power' on the machine without the pictures on it."

• Customer: "Ok. Done."

• Me: "Now put in the disk, go to start, run, and type 'setup'."

• Customer: "Oh, it's all working now. Thanks, but your software isn't very easy to use, is it

i just love calls like this

Originally posted by ^ . ^@Dec 11 2005, 03:09 AM

i need a little advice..my laptop hates me.

i finally got the wireless connection work, but now the screen will just randomly go blue with some crazy error message every time the internet is connected. help. plz?

when did this start happening, did you add anything new before this started happening, what does the error message say?

it only started after i got the wireless connection to work again. I havent installed anything new in quite a long time...

the error message is something saying to uninstall new hardware and restart the computer... but it just happens at weird random times outta nowhere. :(

Its not a new wireless card either..same one i've had for like two years...

sounds like a irq conflict like richard says heres how to fix it

1. Click on the Start button, and click on the Run option.

2. When the “Run� window opens, type in devmgmt.msc into the “Open � field and click “OK�.

3. When the “Device Manager� window opens, click the View menu, and select Resources by Connection.

4. Expand the Interrupt Request (IRQ) category to view IRQ assignments.

5. Once you find your adapter on the list, check if the number that is assigned to it is the same as anything else on the list.

6. If your adapter is sharing an IRQ with another device, you may be having an IRQ conflict.

Resolving the IRQ Conflict:

1. Try placing the Network Adapter into different PCI slots. By doing this, the BIOS may assign the network adapter a different IRQ.

2. Disabling COM and parallel ports, or built in motherboard devices (sound chips, etc) in the BIOS may help to free up their IRQ's.

3. You may be also able to assign IRQ's by PCI slot in the BIOS.

4. If you do not know what you are doing in the BIOS then talk with yer computer manufacturer

the service calls yes we record them and play them back at the end of the day to laugh are asses off

so when you call like the phone company and other businesses and get

This Call May Be Recorded for Quality Assurance

its so we can laugh and make the job a little better cause if we didn't we would really go off on people