State a Fact.

why write?

July 29, 2004

Kerry/Edwards: Most Liberal Senators?

On July 10, the Journal’s Richard E. Cohen (not the Post columnist) tried to explain the pleasing facts which so many scribes have been peddling. Are Kerry and Edwards really first and fourth most liberal? That rating is based on calendar year 2003, when both senators—campaigning for the White House—missed large numbers of the 62 votes the Journal used for its tabulations. (Kerry missed 37 of the 62 votes; Edwards missed 22.) Writing in the rag Goldberg loves, Cohen laid out the big picture:

COHEN: The bigger picture presents a more nuanced view of the two senators on the Democratic presidential ticket. Since joining the Senate in 1985, Kerry has compiled a “lifetime average” composite liberal score of 85.7 in NJ's vote ratings. Ten other current senators have a lifetime composite liberal score that is higher than Kerry’s. (See NJ, 3/6/04, p. 679.) Meanwhile, Edwards, who first joined the Senate in 1999, has a lifetime composite liberal score of 75.7, a number that puts him in the moderate wing of his party.

“The bigger picture presents a more nuanced view?” Richard E. Cohen, repeat after us: In fact, the bigger picture shows that Kerry and Edwards are not first and fourth most liberal! In fact, ten current senators have more liberal lifetime voting records than Kerry. And how crazily liberal is Edwards? Here are the Journal’s annual rankings since he arrived in the Senate:

John Edwards:

1999: 31st most liberal senator

2000: 19th most liberal senator

2001: 35th most liberal senator

2002: 40th most liberal senator

2003: 4th most liberal senator

When pundits call Edwards the “fourth most liberal,” they are cherry-picking his rank from one year—a year in which he missed more than a third of the votes used to make the tabulations.

Of course, stripped of their ability to rate Kerry and Edwards "first and fourth most liberal" senators with a straight face, conservatives will hammer on their missed votes. But this isn't uncommon in a presidential election year. John McCain missed gobs of votes when he ran for president in 2000. So the missed votes are clearly not a partisan issue. If missed votes are your concern, change the rules, and require senators/representatives to step down if they're going to run for higher office.

As with so many of the GOP's talking points, the "first and fourth most liberal" claim amounts to little more than smoke. And the so-called "liberal media" cheerily parrots it without scrutiny.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

did ya know.....

*mr. snuffleupagas'(spelling?) first name was alyoisus.

*cat's urine glows under a blacklight.

*it takes forty minutes to hard boil an ostrich egg.

*the declaration of independence was written on hemp paper.

*barbie's measurements if she were life size: 39-23-33.

*dolphins are the only other animals besides humans that get pleasure out of sex. they are also the only other animals that have sex for reasons other than reproduction.

*ancient egyptians shaved off their eyebrows to mourn the deaths of their cats.

*donald duck's middle name is fauntleroy.

*the common goldfish is the only animal that can see both infra-red and ultra-violet light.

*a group of geese is called a gaggle.

*kermit the frog is left handed.

*that i only have an hour and a half of sleep and i'm at work? like whoa.

1: Behav Pharmacol. 2003 Jul;14(4):357-62.

Plasma levels of corticosterone and testosterone after sexual activity in male rats treated neonatally with clomipramine.

Bonilla-Jaime H, Retana-Marquez S, Vazquez-Palacios G, Velazquez-Moctezuma J.

Departemento de Biologia de la Reproduction, Universidad Autonoma Metropolitana-Iztapalapa, Mexico City, DF, Mexico.

Neonatal treatment with clomipramine (CMI) in rats, induces alterations of pleasure-seeking behaviors during adulthood. Alterations of hormonal responses to stressful situations have also been reported. In this study, the levels of corticosterone and testosterone in response to sexual activity were assessed in rats treated neonatally with CMI. Male pups received subcutaneous injections of CMI (15 mg/kg, 0.1 ml), twice a day (09.00 hours and 18.00 hours) from 8 to 21 days of age. A control group received saline in the same number of injections. Four months after CMI treatment, subjects (Ss) were submitted to the forced swim test to verify the effect of CMI. Thereafter, they were tested to assess their spontaneous sexual activity. Plasma levels of corticosterone and testosterone were assessed under different conditions. Results of sexual behavior and the forced swim test corroborate the depressive-like effect of CMI. The sole presence of an estrogenized stimulus female caused an increase in plasma levels of testosterone in both control and CMI-treated Ss. The same was true for corticosterone; however, this increase was significantly lower in the CMI-treated group. There is a discrepancy between the normal hypothalamus-pituitary-gonadal (HPG) response and the decreased sexual behavior. The data suggest that CMI induces permanent changes in the reactivity of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis.

.....looks like rats get pleasure from sex

and surprise! they are less interested in it when they get a chemically-induced depression.

i'm pretty sure...i heard it in one of the episodes. i'll be damned if i can remember which one, maybe one of the bajillion dance themed ones. i think they just reference the beach a lot, and i guess there is a little part of indiana that borders lake michigan. pretty much the only times you ever see them actually at the beach is when they're away on summer vacation or if they're working at that one resort for the summer. i could be wrong though.

Originally posted by WEAK NIGGUH

my friend told me he stayed up for 15 days. he might be lying though.

was he on meth?

and

Originally posted by THE CORONER

blah

anyone ever seen a penguin and a duck race

its funny as fuck

it is a fact that this is not a fact

Originally posted by Devilush

*the declaration of independence was written on hemp paper.

pot smoking hippies...

Archived