What Book Are You Reading? Pt. 13 (Lucky Summer Edition)

Weapon X

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by !@#$%

i think they're turning Choke into a movie.

i also have read that at a bunch of readings of his new [book?] short stories[??] people have been fainting

I have to say it:

That’s ‘cuz they’re all emo art fags! Haahhahahahahahahaaaa!

Originally posted by Weapon X

You should read the Mahabarata. On the cover of that copy, Krishna is driving Arjuna’s chariot. Arjuna soon kills Karna, his long lost brother. Karna was left vulnerable on the battlefield because his chariot’s wheel got stuck in the mud. The wheel got stuck in the mud because of bad karma.

Big ups to the Pandava Brothers: Arjuna (that’s who I was when I was a kid), Bhima, and uh…I forget the other three.

If you’re not interested in reading the Mahabarata, then check out the Amar Chitra Kata comic books. They’re really damn good. They might be hard to find, though. Maybe the Little India in your town.

*edit – the Mahabarata is the story of the great battle that is taking place on the cover of that Gita you have. But you probably knew that.

I'll check that out. Theres no little india in my town, but I'll ask some devotees if they got them, I'm sure some of them do.

Originally posted by !@#$%

oooopp.

movie's about Survivor, not choke.

Movies are being made out of Choke, Survivor, Invisible Monsters, and Diary.

**Edit: Just gave up on Last Exit To Brooklyn by Selby, just started Me Talk Pretty One Day....its good and funny.

^Me Talk Pretty... Yeah, Sedaris is really funny, witty and well written. Thanks to the King of Hell for introducing his work to me a few years back. (Sidenote, his sister is Amy Sedaris of Strangers with Candy fame...)

So, I thought somebody had mentioned The Day of the Jackal earlier on but didn't see the post when I rescanned the thread... Oh well, I found it on my bookshelf and I'll start that tomorrow when I finish 8 Million Ways to Die by Lawrence Block...

Guest imported_El Mamerro
Originally posted by Smart

So, I thought somebody had mentioned The Day of the Jackal earlier on but didn't see the post when I rescanned the thread... Oh well, I found it on my bookshelf and I'll start that tomorrow when I finish 8 Million Ways to Die by Lawrence Block...

I had mentioned the film on some movie thread. Both the book and the movie (the original 1973 film) are excellent.

For the Sedaris fans on 12oz, which apparently there are quite a few, his new book just came out: Dress Your Family in Corduroy and Denim. It'll premiere at #1 tomorrow on the NYT bestseller list.

Plus, he had an interview on NPR that I listened to today. [note: the date of the interview was 6/15/04 .. you may need to click "Previous Show" until you get there.]

i was reading "history of the second world war" got to page 2500 some odd, and stopped. haha.

i am about to start reading a short book called "the legal research manual"

i also picked up "law dictionary for nonlawyers third edition"

much fun.

I noticed a lot of other kids reading up on WWII...

right now I'm reading:

Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon

"A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now."

If you like reading about WWII, or if you like having your fucking mind blown by, who I consider to be, the best American writer of the 20th century, check this out. This is Pynchon's tour de force, which at its most general is about a man's relationship to the V-2 rocket. When I read books I underline sentences or passages that I like, and I've got entire pages underlined in this book. The man just has a way with words and sentences. Amazing. Plot and story are top notch to boot so far, too. This is not for the faint of heart though: it isn't a real easy read, and it isn't a real short read either, clockin in just under 800 pages. I've been reading it in spurts over the last year.

On the Natural History of Destruction by W.G. Sebald

His final book about the (arguably) self-induced cultural amnesia in Germany regarding the Allied heavy-bombing campaigns to reduce to ashes a number of largely civilian, non-military cities during the final years of the war. More German civilians were killed in these campaigns than total US deaths in both theaters of war, yet there is an almost total vacuum in German postwar literature about facing and bluntly describing these atrocities.

up to bat next:

The Wind-up Bird Chronicl by Haruki Murakami

Picked this up on a whim. I think it's peripherally related to the rape of Nanking. Said to be bizarre and disturbing, just how I like my fiction.

Fast Food Nation by Schlosser

I've been meaning to read it for a while and I've just recently got it.

man I wish I had the money for:

The Second World War boxed set by Churchill

Just finished:

The Diamond Age, Neal Stephenson - Great book, in the cyberpunk vein but it deals as much with social structures and etiquette as it does with science fiction. If you liked Snow Crash you'll like it. Just stick with it through the first 60 or so pages which are boring as hell.

Mystic River, Denis Lehane - Much better than the movie, quick read, if you liked the movie a lot or haven't seen it yet read it.

The Rules of Attraction, Bret Easton Ellis - The guy who wrote American Psycho (which I haven't read) and the book that the movie was based on. It's a lot different from the film, a lot more sex and drug use and different plot turns and it takes place in 1985. Can get repetitive and it's not exactly a positive book. I came away hating liberal arts drama majors even more than I already did. There is not a single likable character in the book. All in all, not that bad but nothing amazing.

Next up:

Moneyball, Michael Lewis - That #1 non-fiction bestseller about baseball.

The Exorcist, William Peter Blatty - What the movie was based on.

• 2 weeks later...

*bump*

So, I'm here at the library and I seem to recall someone mentioning an older book that was the basis for either 1984 or Brave New World. If anyone knows the title or author, by all means let me know...

kthx :dazed:

Originally posted by bathoræ

*bump*

So, I'm here at the library and I seem to recall someone mentioning an older book that was the basis for either 1984 or Brave New World. If anyone knows the title or author, by all means let me know...

SHIT! I HAVE MAD OVERDUE BOOKS TO RETURN!

Oh yah, bathorae…Zamyatin's We?

Archived