bicicletas

Guest HESHIANDET

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
are you using this tire on the road as well?

i'd rather not swap a tire every time i wanna hop on the trainer.

i got a continental trainer about 4 years ago in japan, and i was told not to use them on the street, but the person telling me this was using one for his rear wheel and won every race he was in. i rode one for about a week in san francisco when i got back, and it looked like someone took a boxcutter to it. i wouldnt use them on the street.

i'm not planning on using a trainer wheel on the road - my main questions is how using a road tire on the trainer affects it?

as in: do you go through tires on a weekly/monthly basis due to trainer usage??

--

and rubbish - i can dig it. only got in about 45min's last night and it's a bit hellish.

but it's much better than dealing with downtown drivers in the dark while it rains... luckily i live in CA so it shouldn't last too long.

i'm not planning on using a trainer wheel on the road - my main questions is how using a road tire on the trainer affects it?

as in: do you go through tires on a weekly/monthly basis due to trainer usage??

--

and rubbish - i can dig it. only got in about 45min's last night and it's a bit hellish.

but it's much better than dealing with downtown drivers in the dark while it rains... luckily i live in CA so it shouldn't last too long.

I had a not very good older wheel with a conti trainer tire that I used for a while until the wheel fell apart.

Right now Im doing hour interval sessions twice a week on the trainer with my main wheel and a gp4000....and it is wearing quick! At this rate maybe a new tire every couple of months, not sustainable at $70 each.

reflectors on the pedals? -5 hipster points

but that diamond made you a faggot 3 years ago, i'm pretty sure by today's standards it would be gigantic faggot.

so. i don't have access to a bike here, and based on missions i can use the gym about twice a week. besides doing a simplified crossfit set up i've been trying to get cycling into my routine.

any pointers for riding on a exercise bike?

i'm riding with medium resistance and keep my rpms right around 105, up to 130 for sprints and giggles. i ride for about 30 minutes. (this ends up being 20+mph). i'm using the 'cascade setting' so i get some hill feel, but not really. its not the most comfortable thing, and it doesn't really feel like i'm on a bike at all... my goals are pretty much shapely legs and better cardio.

any thoughts?

Sounds like you're doing just what you need. In all honesty, riding those exercise bikes is a bit difficult to control due to the fact that you can't really dictate your ride. I mean, you can turn the knob to make the resistance more difficult but that doesn't equate to riding up hills or pushing a bigger gear. If you wanted a good workout on the exercise bike I would watch one of those Spinervals TT videos or something. Or take a spinning class at the gym. You don't have to do the whole hour long class but that 30 minutes should be pretty good exercise, and keep the legs familiar with the movement.

I'm headed to San Francisco in a few weeks and will be there for about a week... just before the first race of the season. So I have to work with my coach to figure something out to keep my fitness in tact while I'm there. I'm sure it will require daily mornings at the gym.

So happy this has been a rest week...

It's called heat acclimation.

Man up, 10,000 years ago it wasn't the norm when people weren't pussified by year round indoor heating/cooling.

last i checked you arent the guy who lives in a place where over 125 with humidity is pretty normal. oh wait, im that guy. my bad.

im not complaining about the weather... I lived in washington state for about 6 years of my life and now i live in a sub tropical climate. im just commenting on how a 40 degree temperature change every other day cant be good for your body when you expose yourself to it.

and besides, my summer heat is a HELL of alot worse then your year around rain and cold weather.

last i checked you arent the guy who lives in a place where over 125 with humidity is pretty normal. oh wait, im that guy. my bad.

im not complaining about the weather... I lived in washington state for about 6 years of my life and now i live in a sub tropical climate. im just commenting on how a 40 degree temperature change every other day cant be good for your body when you expose yourself to it.

and besides, my summer heat is a HELL of alot worse then your year around rain and cold weather.

I concur - I can ride around in 20-30F weather for months but when it spikes above 95F, my riding goes down the drain on account of plain old not being able to get fluids/electrolytes back in as fast as they're going out. If it's 125 out, you have a lot worse things to worry about than riding a bike.

Chocula - damn, that's a shit ton of climbing. Nice job. Is your region just hilly as hell or what? You must be a skinny dude.

I got 84 miles in today, not sure on the elevation. Real nice weather for January... as good as Thursday with less wind. 50F feels like paradise right now.

Is your region just hilly as hell or what?

It's flat the first couple miles inland from the Bay then it gets hilly. There's a ridge that runs the entire length of the East Bay due to a couple fault systems...the hills peak out around 2000' or so.

4 hour ride in the rain today with 3 flat tires amongst our group. Sometimes no-drop group rides really suck - there's nothing worse than getting a nice tempo established, with your body heat warming you, and then ruining it all to stop for a flat repair.

Just completed my biggest hours in a week to date. Taking a deserved rest this next week. I felt absolutely great today and was rocking all the climbs, descents and sprints without going race-pace hard, but I'd say a structured rest is going to give a lot more benefit than slogging through another week of base.

I don't mind the rain at all, but I'm really thinking that long rainy rides are best done in the company of 2 or 3 other people at most. Getting road grime water in your face is never fun and the bigger the group, the more it's going to happen. On the other hand, there's something really peaceful, calming and spiritual about riding alone on long hills in the rain.

I agree. Something about riding alone in the cold wet weather is a bit boring, but slogging up a long climb with nothing but the sound of the rain hitting the trees to keep you company is a bit therapeutic.

Anyone interested in buying a 2008 medium Look 595 Ultra with full Dura Ace 7800? I got one for sale...