seeking says download this shit right now (grey album)

GamblersGrin

Guest Pilau Hands

J gave the hookup to the white album in good quality. those sandbox website were a joke.

anyone have the same kind of quality and the brown album in full?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://greytuesday.org/

Historic Online Protest

It's time for music fans to stand up and demand change from the music industry's copyright cartel.

Tuesday, February 24 will be a day of coordinated civil disobedience: websites will post Danger Mouse's Grey Album on their site for 24 hours in protest of EMI's attempts to censor this work.

DJ Danger Mouse created a remix of Jay-Z's the Black Album and the Beatles White Album, and called it the Grey Album. Jay-Z's record label, Roc-A-Fella, released an a capella version of his Black Ablum specifically to encourage remixes like this one. But despite praise from music fans and major media outlets like Rolling Stone ("an ingenious hip-hop record that sounds oddly ahead of its time") and the Boston Globe (which called it the "most creatively captivating" album of the year), EMI has sent cease and desist letters demanding that stores destroy their copies of the album and websites remove them from their site. EMI claims copyright control of the Beatles 1968 White Ablum.

Danger Mouse’s album is one of the most "respectful" and undeniably positive examples of sampling; it honors both the Beatles and Jay-Z. Yet the lawyers and bureaucrats at EMI have shown zero flexibility and not a glimmer of interest in the artistic significance of this work. And without a clearly defined right to sample (e.g. compulsory licensing), the five major record labels will continue to use copyright in a reactionary and narrowly self-interested manner that limits and erodes creativity. Their actions are also self-defeating: good new music is being created that people want to buy, but the major labels are so obsessed with hoarding their copyrights that they are literally turning customers away.

This first-of-its-kind protest signals a refusal to let major label lawyers control what musicians can create and what the public can hear. The Grey Album is only one of the thousands of legitimate and valuable efforts that have been stifled by the record industry-- not to mention the ones that were never even attempted because of the current legal climate. We cannot allow these corporations to continue censoring art; we need common-sense reforms to copyright law that can make sampling legal and practical for artists.

The Grey Tuesday protest is being organized by Downhill Battle, a music activism project that has no affiliation with Danger Mouse. Downhill Battle Press Contact

You can read more about this issue by following the links on the sidebar.

Sites Participating in the Protest

We are currently compiling the list of sites that are participating (more than 40 as of 4pm Thursday). If you'd like to include your site in the protest, send an email to greytuesday@downhillbattle.org. An intial list of participating sites will be posted here on Thursday evening and will be updated regularly as we approach Feb 24.

Guest Pilau Hands

wow i've been missing the cask of amontillado sample in Kno's Threat

By the last breath of the four winds that blow, I'll have revenge upon Fortunato. Smile in his face I'll say "come let us go, I've a cask of Amontillado"

Originally posted by mental invalid

whats the deal with multiple versions? are there different versions?

just got my copy. listened to it last night.

great.

too bad mouse and mf cancelled their bowery gig....bastards

when jay made this album he gave a handful of dj/producers to recreate his album. the only ones ive listened to is the grey(dangermouse),blacker(9th wonder),and brown(kev brown) album. el-p is supposed to be doing one too. this aint the first time that dj's recreate albums, 9th wonder does it all the time(nas-god's stepson,murs3:16) and does a damn good job at it too, his beats is kinda pete rock-ish

Originally posted by Sarah Tonin

when jay made this album he gave a handful of dj/producers to recreate his album. the only ones ive listened to is the grey(dangermouse),blacker(9th wonder),and brown(kev brown) album. el-p is supposed to be doing one too. this aint the first time that dj's recreate albums, 9th wonder does it all the time(nas-god's stepson,murs3:16) and does a damn good job at it too, his beats is kinda pete rock-ish

i thought it was just becasue he released the accapela's on a separate album, that people started fucking around with it. that none are really jay-z 'sponsored', but thats kind of what he was hoping for....:confused:

he's letting people dip into his pockets since the only one moving units is pimpjuice, em and me ... or whatevea.

and here yet another:

SANDBOX EXCLUSIVE RELEASE!

PRE-ORDER: Ship date Friday, February 27th.

Bazooka Joe presents "The Silver Album (Jay-Z vs. RJD2)" CD [$10] Truck Jewls

Authorized remix project approved by RJD2 himself! Legendary underground mixtape DJ and part-time Philly visitor, Bazooka Joe aka Truck Jewls (who brought you the best-selling "Hidden Treasures" series) pits Jay-Z's Black Album with the best from legendary underground producer (and part-time Philly resident) RJD2, using classic instrumentals from songs by Soul Position, Cannibal Ox, Massive Attack, Aceyalone, El-P, Diverse, Aesop Rock and Polyphonic Spree! Bazooka Joe did not want this CD to be considered a "bootleg", so with the help of the Sandbox team, he approached RJD2 directly with a copy of the remixes in advance, and offered him portion of the sales royalties. RJ gave "The Silver Album" the green light, so order up in confidence that each sale directly supports RJD2's hard work on the samplers and drum machines! However, because this is not an official RJD2 release, it is not subject to be offered on his own web site, therefore it is a SANDBOX AUTOMATIC EXCLUSIVE title.

i listened to a little of the gray album, sounded ok, even better from the little i heard. but i just think there is only so much you can do with one set of lyrics, seems to be getting a little out of hand. some of the lyrics are nice, but i don't think most of deserve the constant re-do's. but i guess others are definatley thinking otherwise.

i've played this shit back to back with all my favorite hip hop albums and i must say that the grey album DESTROYS them all with full alterations to my pants.

Seriously. I've went as far to fully recommend this to my local music nerd who refuses to download music and give him a copy.

Archived