the NEW sketch thread

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think what I appreciate above much else is the simple colour schemes. A lot of this reminds me of what was around when I first started painting in the early-mid 80s. There's a strong focus on structure and flow, which caries the piece and the colour schemes match but complement rather than overpower the letters. And there's no trendy-fad type shit in there, which I super-appreciate.

#oldmangrafrant

• Like 1

Thanks for the kind words, guys. I know what you mean though. I started in the early 2000s and was really inspired by a lot of the stuff on freights from that time, there was a lot of of innovative stuff going on then. The newer styles that I see, I can appreciate them, but they're really watered down in my opinion.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

I think what I appreciate above much else is the simple colour schemes. A lot of this reminds me of what was around when I first started painting in the early-mid 80s. There's a strong focus on structure and flow, which caries the piece and the colour schemes match but complement rather than overpower the letters. And there's no trendy-fad type shit in there, which I super-appreciate.

#oldmangrafrant

Wow, you started painting in the 80s, your a true legend. Please give me some pro writers advice because I am only 13 and started last year

Edit :Whoops I was responding to the last message on the last page lol  

But hua ,is right ray go follow the advice and you will progress 

Facts bro! . And it's like the harder I try to do the trendy shit to "fit in" the more I fail missirebly  like that loopy shit above lol .

I tend to like the more aggressive style were the letter protect them selves but also  i like the older skewl bendy funk so I get a little lost trying to smash to to together lol  .

I can deff see that old rail shit in your style . Good shit mang !

20190821_175214.jpg

20190821_110209.jpg

Edited by ElbowMack187
  • Like 4
  • Props 1

@ElbowMack187- take this for what it's worth, or tell me to fuck off. Honestly, I'm only trying to be helpful. 

I like the blue LBOE piece but I don't read it as LBOE... it reads as EROE. The L and E both have the same shape and structure which led to my double-take on what is what. The B is shaped and flows just like an R, complete with the extender flowing right into the bit that connects to the arm coming off the O. I do like that part, but I think there's a way to hit that without changing the structure of the letter B. 

Also, the arm coming off the bottom of the E seems forced when compared to the arm coming off the bottom of the B and extending out past the L. I see what you've done with the subtle mirroring of the two arms and get why you pushed it, but maybe it comes off the extender arm from the O? That way both the arm coming off the B extending past the L and the arm coming off the O extending past the E would be extending from an equal distance... if that makes sense. I do like that even though you've mirrored the flow on the left and right, the style is not exactly the same. To me, that feels more considered than doing the same thing on both sides. 

Am I being an ass, or helpful?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Hua Guofang said:

Looks nice enough but it reads JROE to me.

Wanna exchange I know you don't get at it much but I seen your shit and it's deff worth the exchange... for me  at least . lol if not that's cool man . But also on that jroe lol  I'll take half of it as a complement . Only because one of my local hero's  writes jaero . But his shit toatly different then mine . And I'll take the other half as  ...i need to work on my extestions width so that it isn't confused for letter structer?

Edited by ElbowMack187