The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

have you guys ever wondered where some of the photogs on here will end up in the enxt 5-10 years?

kind of like marco started posting flicks here now hes standing on the sidelines getting shit published for his local paper.

nice pics!

and yeah it's pretty funny, some people are doing their thing, some people just disappear..

i am doing neither

mega props for marco, mayor, and rage..

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

some recent work - some might have been more appropriate in the day in pics thread but oh well

5141410173_608fcc5805_z.jpg

The Arabian Nights is one of the more badass books I've ever read.

5141410121_efa9e2dfa2_z.jpg

transporting a wedding cake on a crowded public bus is a risky move. the entire wedding is resting on not wanting to pay a couple more bucks for a cab..

5141410235_406b8eac40_z.jpg

Long live the people's struggle

5142015858_a2f65c0ce3_z.jpg

5141410301_edf27caf60_z.jpg

5141410419_6b29b63b31_z.jpg

one part of my neighborhood is well regarded by the panamanian upper class (a lot of history, a lot of the presidential offices are located there, as are some museums). I took this outside the entrance to a fashion show, the sort of events where rich people go to be seen as much as anything else, to be the type of person important enough to get that much desired invite (i asked to get in to take some pictures of the models and stuff, and they asked me 'who do you know', not if i had an invite or anything - thought that was pretty telling).

5142015976_07a806f14e_z.jpg

Halloween in the neighborhood. the younger crowd organized a zombie walk which the police did not take kindly to (despite them having a permit), and decided to do everything they could to prevent. This guy above was arrested, as were some others for 'disturbing public order' while others were released without charge. It turned out that some in the govt. still regard halloween as tantamount to devil worship.

5142016218_5c84b3a3b2_z.jpg

@mn1 - i hope everyday that i'm doing this shit in 5-10 years, i bet you do as well. one of the things i like about this thread is that for many people here, its a dedicated hobby - for you (going to school for it), i imagine that you imagine yourself working professionally. if my experience is any help, it might be helpful for you to figure out now what sort of thing you'd like to do in a perfect world, then create a road map to get there. i've stumbled from one opportunity to the next, with a lot of downtime. i've learned a lot and become more flexible, but in hindsight i wished i had been more focused on documentary-feature type photojournalism.

@jbrsh - good looks on the shoutout, although marco deserves extra props for being so practical and pragmatic about it. me - i've just been following the dream with sometimes disastrous consequences.

i also hope to still be shooting in 5-10 years. i feel like i've come along way in photography. i remember being in high school and i got into punk and hardcore and started to borrow my mom's point and shoot camera and i had no idea how to use it what film speeds and all that stuff meant. i shot from the back of the room mostly until i learned you obviously get better pics standing up closer to the bands. i moved to the bay area when i was 21 and needed a job and just basically applied at anything that had a help wanted sign in the window. i wound up getting a job at wolf camera where i bought my first slr and shot shows like crazy because i could get free film and developing. i was getting some pictures in bands records and zines which i was pretty stoked about. i quit that job to go on tour with a friends band for the summer and didn't really take pictures for about 4 years and then decided to pick up a digital slr. i've been shooting digitally for about 2 years now and when i started i still didn't know much about apeture white balancing editing shooting in raw etc, but i've learned so much from friends i shoot with and this thread. some of my graffiti pictures have been used on blogs and in magazines which is awesome. while i'm not really into photography in hopes of becoming a professional i really like that my work is being used by people that think it's good enough to be used in their magazines or on their blogs. anyway i guess what i'm trying to say is i really hope i keep improving in my skills in the next 5-10 years and i hope a lot of us are still posting on this forum. it looks like it's my turn tomorrow to post in the portfolio thread which i'm looking forward to. ok i'll end this long ass rant now. haha.

Some stuff from today wandering around in the class MN1 and I have together. Went down to Union Station for a little to shoot.

5143814361_11af539eee_z.jpg

5144420140_cb33a3e0e8_z.jpg

5143813853_cc5476e66f_z.jpg

5143814181_f15fbe5b77_z.jpg

my teacher suggested that it might look cool if someone was behind the plastic so she went outside to see if it worked, and you couldn't see anything, so she just ripped the side and walked behind it so i could get the shot.

5144419778_3b4b5b2670_z.jpg

This week in Panama is Independence Week. Full of parades, not working etc. After the war with America in 1989 the armed forces were disbanded, but as youre about to be able to see, the police is more or less a military. A lot of people here are nervous about the increasing threats against democracy by the new president, Martinelli:

5146826296_299c305edd_z.jpg

5146223061_002279a41a_z.jpg

5146223949_552e259708_z.jpg

Definitely debatable if this counts as necessary for a police force (then again, they border Colombia, and the cocaine/FARC threaten Panama's sovereignty for sure)

5146826134_ee4f5d049d_z.jpg

5146827008_373e3c41bf_z.jpg

5146223651_5ba6b8651d_z.jpg

5146223771_4b7afc37ab_z.jpg

The US isn't the only country that compares its leaders to hitler.

5146826354_86d34644ae_z.jpg

the white guy in sunglasses is the president. He is looking at me cuz the cute girl i was with was flipping out, shouting for his attention so i could get a shot off.

5146827274_2fc8bff8ae_z.jpg

5146827396_1f1c073126_z.jpg

It wasn't just military stuff, there was marching bands and dancers too

5146223359_6a11edc512_z.jpg

5146223259_a3ca1196d0_z.jpg

Both the police and a girl wearing traditional Panamanian skirt are unnerved by a drunk.

5146223449_dcf7712c2f_z.jpg

5146826714_23da55f795_z.jpg

5146827338_ef768d209a_z.jpg

There are many different types of police with varying degrees of prestige. the most respected (and feared) is teh State Presidential Guard. Their sole purpose is to protect the areas surrounding government buildings (including my neighborhood). While the other forces chose to put forth a show of strength, these guys decided to show their superiority by putting on tricks. It was pretty ridiculous -

5146826026_45e9ecef53_z.jpg

SPI stands for the Institutional Protection Service, but most people refer to them as the Guardia Presidencial (Presidential guard).

5146222857_25e310b013_z.jpg

All in all, it was a pretty ridiculous affair.

@mn1 - i hope everyday that i'm doing this shit in 5-10 years, i bet you do as well. one of the things i like about this thread is that for many people here, its a dedicated hobby - for you (going to school for it), i imagine that you imagine yourself working professionally. if my experience is any help, it might be helpful for you to figure out now what sort of thing you'd like to do in a perfect world, then create a road map to get there. i've stumbled from one opportunity to the next, with a lot of downtime. i've learned a lot and become more flexible, but in hindsight i wished i had been more focused on documentary-feature type photojournalism.

Frankly i dig the whole street photography thing i am doing now but i would really like to get involved with wedding and special events of the same nature. i Have dealt with all types of assholes which include rich and drunken. So i know i am able to keep my cool and sanity while dealing with all types of people and weddings and those types of jobs seem to be a steady income if you do good work.

Here are a few of the shots i took at union station along with oh snap.

5152040899_9c8bb9b257.jpg

5152649486_1a7b4f34ca.jpg

5152649274_a3ce37f776.jpg

5152040251_9803accae9.jpg

5152648890_a07a4e9b90.jpg

Also agreed about the street photography thing, it doesn't pay bills most of the time but it's where it's at IMO.

I think those will be the shots that will stand out and define our time years from now as opposed to commercial/nature stuff.

I had a friend who did wedding photography for a couple years, big money in the summer but a vacation all winter.