The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to mn1_fuckos again."

Sorry dude, all propped out. Haha.

Anyway, I think you should stick to the stuff you're shooting at the moment. It's good, like Lorem said, it's not the money maker but it's the raw shit. Weddings will make you big cash but you have to change your whole branding/image to market for couples and then you end up having to put together little 'wedding packages'. Prints, slideshows with music, web galleries.

That's just my bias towards it, but what you're doing is dope. Events would be good though, on a whole different level to weddings. Stuff like what you're doing can lead to journalism gigs, magazine work, 'street style' fashion shoots.. You won't end up living the high life but you'll be living the life! Just my little rant for the day. I'll post some shit once I get some rolls developed.

Nothing to shoot here. It's bad wjen OI canm''t even find anhything good to shoot. Fuck all these college kdis. bring me abavk to nature. I hate set up shots. when people look into my lens I jsut can't take the shot. fuck.

lol im in college for photography and i have yet to to set up a model shoot my life is in the street and thats where its at. the emotions are real and so are the people theyre not some hotties busting a smirk cuz they getting paid.

your shits raw though just keep doing your thang!

da1lyoperations:yea but thats the nature of the beast if it puts bread on the table and it gets the bills paid thats all that matters. Street photog for life for me. thats where the emotions are raw and real.thanks for the invisible props though if it wasnt for you peeps my shit wouldnt have progressed!

5150042572_c5558cb45d_z.jpg

I took this going down an escalator.. I'm guessing it would be a lot better if the light part of the photo showed the whole shape.. Crits?

5149433425_29a5d1cb34_z.jpg

This one I feel is missing something, but not sure.

I need to really start learning from you guys.

I know that a lot of this is just having an eye for seeing what others don't, but I definitely know you can always improve and change your perception.

Mad props to all you cats doing things proper in this thread.

da1lyoperations:yea but thats the nature of the beast if it puts bread on the table and it gets the bills paid thats all that matters. Street photog for life for me. thats where the emotions are raw and real.thanks for the invisible props though if it wasnt for you peeps my shit wouldnt have progressed!

I agree to an extent. Although it's like working a job you hate. You might be pulling in good cash but you're always thinking about what you'd rather be doing. After a while it'll start messing with you. I spent over a year in one job I hated and every day I was thinking about where else I could be. I was making good money but I had to go.

I'll try to elaborate on what I said before a bit -

When you take the step to shoot wedding photography, it's a big step. A lot of people shoot weddings casually, you can see their portfolios with landscapes, weddings, portraits, etc.. But the ones making the real money are those who dedicate their photography to weddings. Their portfolios become weddings only, and their websites are changed to appeal to couples, along with their name/image.

It's hard to move into that industry while shooting street stuff. I've offered to shoot a few weddings from classifieds I've seen, and most of the time the client has said they've gone with someone else because of their portfolio content. People looking for a wedding photographer are often put off by seeing street/urban/raw shots. They want their magical fairytale photos. Which is why wedding photographers change their image to suit the client.

From shooting the raw street stuff that you're doing mn1, you can still get into the good money making stuff. Events, music gigs, fashion (studio and street style) and photojournalism. A lot of good opportunities. I'm not saying "don't shoot weddings", it's just a niche market, you have to change your image to suit the clients needs. Same with sports, landscapes, etc.. But with those markets it's not so much about image. You can shoot great landscapes and still have good 'urban' photography.

Just my 2 cents on it, anyone, feel free to argue, etc..

An old one for the ranting -

tumblr_lbjcp6bURI1qdv6v0o1_500.jpg

When I'm not out shooting, I also teach/volunteer teaching kids photography with a couple different organizations. Recently, I received a grant to teach in three of the most dangerous outlying suburbs. Here are some of the pictures that the kids took. They are all between the ages of 12 and 17, and most had never held a camera before they started in the class:

5156020453_b3081f825a_z.jpg

5156020697_100c4a9fc0_z.jpg

5156020775_ec7f230177_z.jpg

5156020897_c79f6a30e1_z.jpg

5156020999_6be586053d_z.jpg

5156631276_3d054d10f8_z.jpg

5156021145_3575b7dac8_z.jpg

5156631416_896d20640f_z.jpg

5156631530_18f5f4ba44_z.jpg

5156021401_c9ece48d8b_z.jpg

check me out lounging in the background

all of these photos were taken with super shitty point and clicks. not that they're perfect or anything, but one thing i've learned from these kids is to not put so much pressure on myself looking for the perfect shot. it'll come, you just have to be prepared.

• Like 1

here's a bunch more from our class outing last week, these were taken with my d300s. the stuff i posted like 2 pages back were shot with my teachers canon (i've never shot with a canon before so it took a little bit to get used to the different control layout) because she had a tilt shift lens that she was letting us try out. and i think i was the only one in the class that knew much about the lens, because i was the only one that was really stoked to shoot with it.

also, i'm going to break this up into 2 posts, because it's kind of long.

5159539816_fd789e907b_z.jpg

5159538944_0422790380_z.jpg

5159537064_5683af080c_z.jpg

5158927527_e983ac116a_z.jpg

i know mn1 posted one of this guy, but he was going nuts on this cabbie for like ten minutes, so i got a bunch of shots as well. i didn't see the beginning, but he was saying that the cabbie almost took his arm off.

5162900726_38e73ec100_b.jpg

5162900730_68a470a99d_b.jpg

5162900732_00f78488b5_b.jpg

5162900734_621fafe154_b.jpg

Not a very good photo, but it cracks me up how often girls are like, "take my picture" then do that hand on the hip pose.

5162900736_c7fa61cf2d_b.jpg

kind of hard to see, but these dumbass kids were having a 'walk on broken glass' contest to see who could do it without getting cut. When I told them not to do it, they called me a faggot. This is a picture of the girl right after her foot got cut. One can only sigh sometimes.