The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
MayorMenino dope shots as always......careful with that dengue fever....that shit aint no joke......also were you sent to cover all the bullshit that is going in honduras?

i wish man.... i tried to get in touch with some agencies to get me down there to no avail, once the shit started foreigners were checked at the border.

their elections are still planned for november, im hoping ill be able to shoot up there from panama and check it out.

DSC00454.jpg

DSC00458.jpg

any crits would be greatly appreciated.

Just reducing the size and a bit of noise reduction in photoshop elements makes them look better. I'm not sure if you can really get great low light shots with a point and shoot though. All of mine were a write off as soon as it got a bit dull.

sunedit3.jpg

sunedit4.jpg

Couple of shots from last night. I've only just started shooting RAW. They lost a noticeable amount of quality when I converted them to jpeg to post here even though I saved them at apparent maximum quality. Is there any way around this or is it just inevitable?

You can try saving them in a different format which doesn't compress the image. Saving it in png for example but the trade-off is a bigger file size. So when you post these uncompressed formats in the web it will take much longer for them to load for people who only have access to low speed internet. A lot of image hosting sites are known to compress your images even further. I've noticed a change in color when uploading png images to photobucket. Perhaps you should try a different hosting service to see if there is any notable differences.

And Rolf those photos are good if they were taken from a point and shoot. They would have looked better with less noise. Yes reducing the iso would have been ideal in this case but keep in mind that you the images would have been much darker if shot at the same shutter speed. Long exposure+low iso for this type of setting, but hey I'm just a newb when it comes to this.

Keep this thread rolling.

@ Loosingmymind,

I had the same problem when using lightroom to open & edit raw files (.NEF).

Not sure what you are using to open the raw files or what setting you use when you shoot them.

I found that when I shoot 14 bit color raw files and just use bridge to browse and PS's camera

raw for any editing/opening in photoshop it works out fine.

If I use lightroom on 14bit files it looses all the color pop and cannot be recovered after creating the jpeg.

Never found a way to fix that so I just use camera raw for all my raw editing/converting.

If you are using camera raw and still have the problem I'm not sure how to fix it.

I'm using camera raw...haha.

But I imagine it's a problem with compression to jpeg as seph said. I'll give some other things a try. It could be any number of things really since I've only done it a handful of times so far. Who knows. Anyone have any recommendations for reading material to teach myself the basics?

went to a jazz practice session today. not really into jazz, and thats definitely my fault. this shit was dope:

3772767309_979cd54123.jpg

3773574868_00d54c5de0.jpg

3772767271_dbf38ef1fb.jpg

theres a lot of people on here that take pictures of musicians and whatnot, i'd greatly appreciate it if you shared you're techniques. i think i'm going to be doing it a lot over the next couple months. today i used a 35mm f/1.8 i just got cuz im way too self-conscious with a flash, especially during a practice session. do you guys fuck with the flash/how do the artists feel about that? any other tips you might want to share id greatly appreciate it.

Guest JohnLester#31

I have an SX10 IS Powershot. Depending on the setting I'm on, I always check the (f/) before using the flash. Personally, to me its better. Also, I enjoy blurring certain parts of a picture to give definition to what I'm depicting. I see you've done that with the book of notes. Nice.

Similar idea:

OGGoose.png

It's all about the duck.

theres a lot of people on here that take pictures of musicians and whatnot, i'd greatly appreciate it if you shared you're techniques. i think i'm going to be doing it a lot over the next couple months. today i used a 35mm f/1.8 i just got cuz im way too self-conscious with a flash, especially during a practice session. do you guys fuck with the flash/how do the artists feel about that? any other tips you might want to share id greatly appreciate it.

At hardcore shows, I shoot normally 1/15, f/5.6 and use my ettl flash. I dont care what the bands say. 1/15 gives just enough shake, but not too much.

Straight out of the camera, bouncing the flash off the ceiling.

3773860704_08ef59a579.jpg

Guest JohnLester#31

Not jazz club type, but this is straight off the cam with no intent of it being like this. Sorta got lucky. No flash of Kid Kudi.

Kudi-1.png

With flash up closer.

IMG_1874-1.png

Ive never been to a jazz club before, but I think what he means is for the enjoyment of everyone else there he doesnt want flashes popping. You know what I mean?

you hit the nail on the head. they're small, very intimate locales, i'm already shoving the thing in their face, i don't want to be blinding them/distracting them. maybe at a bigger, more upbeat concert i would care less about the flash (ie if there was a light component to the performance), but when its people all just sitting around... i dunno i'd feel sort of weird.