Alcoholism

Step8

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

So i got a question, I posted on here about me being a heavy drinker about a year ago i guess. I staid sober for a few nights but caved in and started up again. I'd usually get drunk every night, during the week usually just a 6er when i got home, and than on the weekends just get completely black out. Me and my girl just broke up and she put it into perspective for me and I was pretty much just in a daze the whole relationship. I dont wanna change for her I wanna change for myself now. I am actually sober and havent had a beer since sunday. I want to stay sober during the week and just keep it to the weekends. Is this a bad idea to stop cold turkey like the way people say it is or was i not drinking enough for it to affect me like that. I get anxiety and have sleep problems anyway so im not worried about that. Also how much will my tolerance drop if i do this?

(walloftext)

if you are an alcoholic, like morton said, you will have a hard time just keeping it to weekends etc.

the withdrawl thing really stems from chronic long term alcohol abuse, in those cases people can die if they stop cold turkey. but we are talking huge amounts of alcohol, not a 6 pack a night.

dont get me wrong, daily drinkers on a small scale will have minor withdrawl symptoms but it is nowhere near dangerous, more annoying then anything, mood swings, balance, anxiety etc

Butter you sound a lot like I was when I was still drinking....usually 2 forties a day, buncha weed etc. weekend rolls around and I would have 20 to 30 drinks in a day/night

Try and control it, try drinking on the weekends, could be that you don't have a problem and you may be lucky.

• Like 1

Yeah, the weekend routine doesn't work too well. You can reference my earlier posts in this thread when I was convinced that it was working for me. Monday's became even more painful after playing catch up for my sober week over the weekend. Then the first holiday I had, I convinced myself that it was OK to drink again everyday and that continued for 6 months drinking everyday until I could get the mental strength to stop again. When I was just drinking on the weekends I still did not see or understand my life with any clarity, but the attempt was a definite stepping stone in the right direction. Best of luck.

When I was a messenger (and a lot younger) I used to drink evenings during the week to chill out, then take the weekend off and get shit done/be ready for Monday. YMMV.

Sort of off topic- how do the sober folks here deal with other people's accountability when it comes to their drinking/drug use? When I'm sober I don't want to be anywhere near anyone who's drunk, because when I have to call them out for being dumb/loud/rude/obnoxious I have a really hard time controlling my temper. On the flip side, I find that it's easier to deal with inebriated people when I've had a few drinks because I'll usually just walk away and forget about it.

It's not a problem yet but I can easily see it going in that direction.

Thanks for the help and the feedback. I feel pretty good and still havent drank since sunday, even though its only tuesday night. I plan on staying sober till friday, night, than drinking till sunday, but not heavy. I guess what i realized is that i drank cuz i had bad social anxiety, but the next day my anxiety would be worse from the nangovers. My heads been clear and i havent had any anxiety yet. I feel like I am eating alot more, anyone else experience this?

Sort of off topic- how do the sober folks here deal with other people's accountability when it comes to their drinking/drug use? When I'm sober I don't want to be anywhere near anyone who's drunk, because when I have to call them out for being dumb/loud/rude/obnoxious I have a really hard time controlling my temper. On the flip side, I find that it's easier to deal with inebriated people when I've had a few drinks because I'll usually just walk away and forget about it.

It's not a problem yet but I can easily see it going in that direction.

My crowd generally keeps shit under control. i guess it helps that they are a bit past their mid-twenties-party-like-i'm-21-still stage. when there IS someone acting like an idiot, i usually just leave them to do their retard shit. my girl and my friends, while drunk, are usually down to stay away from that shit too.

this may sound vain, but i feel like the fact that i'm sober, and that most of the folks i kick it around are aware of that, keeps people in check to some degree. my girl mentioned this theory first. people realize that there's a sober person, and in turn they don't want to be a total drunk retard. i guess it adds a different perspective to the group, rather than if EVERYONE was pushing the drinking further and further. i don't know. maybe i'm full of shit.

Can anyone comment on railing their pain medication?

Yes, that is where you insulftate (or nasally inhale) a particular substance through your nose hole.

Young person lingo can be hard to understand if you don't stay relevant. Nahmean?

EDIT sorry for starting a new page with a bullshit post. Back to the degenerate drinking talks.

I was just wondering if anyone who took opiates noticed they mess around with their libido/ability to hold erections or appetite? Anyway to remedy the situation.

Crimestoppers your joke will probably catch on, I dont mind if you follow me around with the whole relevant/back in the day joke, see how it goes.

"Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story"

This.

But you are right, he did come out saying that he embellished on the story, but in reality I could write a crazy story about all the drugs/insanity in my past and chances are I would not remember everything and would improvise.

Hella good book though.

Drinking some semi-weak coffee on the eve of five months. it's good to feel normal.

talked with one of my best homies a few days ago. He's a good 5-or-so years older than me, but just hit his 1 year a couple weeks ago. the last time he drank was with me. he stopped by when he was passing through town and crashed on the floor for the night. he hadn't been drinking much, but got wasted with me that night and into the next day. i had to go into town for a second, and when i came back he was gone. he was due to head out to sea for several weeks for work, which was something he was not looking forward to. a couple days later i got a call from his girl, another good friend of mine, asking if he was with me. i guess he never showed up for work and no one had heard from him. his girl was irritated and worried, and, i think, suspected that i was hiding him or some shit. well, she eventually got a hold of his bank statement and found out he had been in a hotel near my apartment. i guess when i bailed for a bit, he checked in and proceeded to get obliterated in solitude for about a week. smacked his head falling over in the room, concussion and a huge gash on his dome. he went to stay with family and sobered up. it was shitty. i didn't hear from him for a while, and i felt pretty bad for kickstarting his bender. strangely enough, he had hung out with our other friend a few days before he stopped by, and informed me that he had gotten sober. we thought it was weird.

it's good to see all of us getting our shit together. we were all super reckless and lived in the same house or the same neighborhood for quite a while in Oakland. we definitely did some stupid shit that we were lucky to not get caught/shot for.

i'm still relieved to wake up feeling good every day.

/coolstorybro