hip hop at the moment....

HOVIE

what are your views on hip hop at the moment??......i think it fuckin sucks..........theres not many people who makin good stuff nowadays.....im sure almost everyone feels this way but i just wanted to know other peoples views........

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Hmm .Well I went down to Miami this weekend to check out the Source Awards. The atmosphere was not what I expected. The major labels were not out in full force taking advantage of the opportunity to market product. Hoes like Lil Kim and Goons like Jadakiss were freely walking the streets un-noticed. There had to be hundreds of thousands of people who migrated to Miami just to be in this atmosphere.

I don't think they got what they expected, because they would have been just as effective at getting noticed standing in front of thier local game room.

The scenery was dominated by the Pen & Pixel style snipes and vinyl wrapped SUV's of the Independent Record companies. This seems to be the future of Hip Hop. In all I must have been handed twenty or thirty promotional cd's from Indie promoters. I haven't listened to them yet, but chances are I will be feeling these artists more than the ones the whole shitty Benzino fixed awards show was intended for.

So do believe that hip hop is in a tailspin. But it will be resurected by the talent marinating in the Independent music world.

By the way give it up for Cor-Mega. He won the award for best Independent Album of the year.http://www.ugsmag.com/003/0405.html'> http://www.ugsmag.com/003/images/cormega02.jpg'>

Hip-hop right now is better than it's ever been and it's only getting better. There isn't two sides to the quarter anymore, motherfuckers have set that shit on it's side and every ridge is now being acknowledged, doing it's thing, and coming into it's own. "Commercial" hip-hop is at it's lowest due to the fact most people stopped basing acclaim around talent, consistancy, quality, depth, or range (and I hate to sound like 'one of those people', but let's face it... it's true).

Not to say there isn't good shit on the radio.. I'm really feeling Luda, Kast, Jay, Snoop and all the other veterans right now... (too bad some have elected to collaborate to sell a million more records). Fuck, I even respect BEP for putting out Where's The Love (yeah, I know it has Timberlake on it...) for the simple fact they took a shot at putting conscious rap back on the radio with a pop-sloppy beat.

From where I'm standing it's all the newjack, krunk-rap, making the band, throwaway PERFORMING artists that are watering down something that wasn't meant to be watered down. Not to sound cheese, but a million sloganeering, catch phrase, cliche toting, collaborating, ghost written, demographic-aftershock, 'thurr', 'hurr', 'scurred' songs don't amount to one Fight The Power... or push the envelope like anything KMD was doing.

Not to go without saying, we've got a new Beasies album coming, Jay-Z's Black (retirement) Album is in the works; with a lot of amazing producers on the roster, we just had Aesop Rock drop something different, Jakki'll hopefully release something in the next year, C-Rayz had his solo come... and I'm not even gonna mention what the fuck Outkast just did.

"Don't innovate cause you can't innovate. It's not a choice, despite what you might tell your boys." -El-P

yeh hip hop is really shitty at the moment....even the some the underground has fallen off.... wassup with 50 on the cover of teen people mag. who remembers this cat waaaay before he oh so suddenly blew up...back when he was overweight. but some cats in hip hop are still stayin true like gangstarr, mop etc. but now even mixtape dj's are gettin signed left and right to major labels:eek: but some cats in the underground scene are still worth gettin rotation i.e people under the stairs,five deez,lone catalysts,the whole 7 heads crew, stones throw cats etc.

THS SOURCE AWARDS 2003

_ Album of the Year: 50 Cent, "Get Rich or Die Tryin."

_ Artist of the Year, Male: Nelly

_ Artist of the Year, Female: Lil' Kim

_ Artist of the Year, Group: Lil' Jon and the East Side Boyz.

_ Single of the Year, Male: 50 Cent, "In Da Club."

_ Single of the Year, Group: Clipse, "Grindin."

_ Single of the Year, Collaboration: Bone Crusher featuring TI and Killer Mike, "Neva Scared"

_ R&B/Rap Collaboration of the Year: Ja Rule featuring Bobby Brown, "Thug Lovin"

_ Video of the year: Lil' Jon and East Side Boyz featuring Mystical and Krayzie Bone, "I Don't Give a (expletive)"

_ Producer of the Year: The Neptunes

_ Dancehall Reggae Album of the Year: Sean Paul, "Dutty Rock."

_ International Album of the Year: K-os, "Exit"

i think that hip hop has gotten awufully commercial in the past year, for some reason, but i am still feelin those like the lox, jae hood, geda k, mop and all that. im also dissapointed about no new shit commin from the west coast, or maybe because i don't live out there i don't get anything in the way of it, but the new westside connection cd's suposed to be good, "lights out" with knoc'turn al was good

try and explore hip hop from other countries...

eg. americans - check out UK stuff..

who can point me in the direction of some fucking french grimey shit?

Originally posted by sneak

try and explore hip hop from other countries...

eg. americans - check out UK stuff..

who can point me in the direction of some fucking french grimey shit?

Syan Super Crew (sp?) - not grimey, more like a French Jurassic 5 crossed with the Roots, if you like that kind of thing.

Correct spelling - Saian

hip hop right now if fuking GARBAGE!! no ones making any good shit its all about cash cars and hoes.. a bunch of fake ass niggaz.. that shit isnt even hip hop. you wanna know where u can listen to ill hip hop right now and where all the dope mcs are at??? THE UNDERGROUND.. WORD UP!!

but some new shit that'll be some ill shit is that NEW METHOD MAN, BLACK MOON, I HEARD SOME SHIT ABOUT A NEW NAS COMING OUT,AND A TRIBE CALLED QUEST IS COMING OUT WITH SOME SHIT. so hopefully those will be dope.

Archived