car problems

haunts

so i just moved. when i arrived in my new city i bought a used car for around a 1000 dollars or so. the fourth time that i drove it the timing belt blew causing the water pump to break, etc, etc. the total bill is 1500 dollars to fix all the repairs which is about what the car is worth in total going by the blue book. because i bought the car from a private party the money that i origonally paid for the car is unretreivable and theres nothing i can do about it. so tommarow i have to try to go get a loan from a local dealership and they are willing to give me 500 dollars for a trade in for the broken vehicle. this is the first car that i have had in about 7 years. go figure. the auto shops have told me that there is no way to tell when the timing belt is going to go so it is just one of those fluke situations where it blewout right after i bought the car. im not sure if i will be able to get a loan tommarow, my only property that is not paint or the clothes on my back or some books and music is that car that is sitting in the repair shop. needless to say i think one has to have colladeral to get a loan which i dont have and my credit is terrible. i wouldnt mind as much if i was in a warmer climate but its winter and i live in the north...way north. so it looks like im about to get acquainted with the local bus system for awhile.

anybody else ever have similar problems?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

if the water pump is the only thing that broke, I believe you're getting fucked.

I'm having my timing belt and water pump replaced this weekend for less than $500. I believe the dealership wanted $750 plus tax. all timing belts have a certain time period in which they need to be replaced. I believe most fall in the 60k to 90k range. So basically any miles over that and you are rolling the dice. When it does break it can do considerable damage and end up costing a lot more. So...are you sure the water pump is the only thing that broke? Oh yea, the water pump is typically replaced at the same time the belt is replaced.

and yes you need collateral in order to get a loan. car dealerships on one hand love to fuck people...so they might give you one...for a price.

there's always public transportation or a bike.

so it turns out that the radiators leaking as well as a few other problems not including the belt and water pump. i dont really know what to do. i have student loans that i can use for collateral but then i will be spending money thats allocated for stuff like food and housing. i dont know, im sure everything will work out its just frustrating.

how bad is the radiator leaking and from where?

there are stop leak radiator products on the market. check your local auto parts store. if its cracked...use the steel version of JB weld. trust me, it works.

I'd call an individual mechanic or ask some people you can trust if they know of someone and get a second opinion. the dealership is always way more expensive than it needs to be.

btw. you can live on ramen noodles. I've done it. that and bread sticks.

i have changed two timing belts in my lifetime, with the help of my dad.

bleeding brakes, changing rotors, pcv valves, sparkplugs, air filters, fan belts... you need to do that shit yo self holmes.

there is something incredibly fun about aiming that gun at the timing belt.

(the gun that sets the timing, not the one you use to shoot your car)

:shook:

Originally posted by iloveboxcars@Jan 6 2005, 06:10 PM

it would be really easy to replace those things.

Yes it would...If you even pay 500.00 to replace a water pump and timing belt you're fucked. Now someone like Steve Austin probably has the loot to do such a thing and depending on the car (probably jetta/passat or soemthing along those lines) I would go ahead pay the money..

Someone like yourself though...Buy a damn Chilton, Water pump, and timing belt and fix it yourself. Of course, you will have to have someone around with a timing light, but nigguh please..make it happen......

this is a full description recently acuired from the dealership of everything wrong with it

timing belt, timing covers, tensioner, puller, idler 1168.60

radiator leaking for quite some time needs upper and lower hose and by-pass hose due to moisture 425.09

significant water pump leak 197.58

cam and crank seals have been leaking and need to degrease engine

total 1991.25

so there it is

they told me they would give me 500 for a trade in if i want to go that route so well see

im supposed to go to the dealership tommarow and find out if they have something in my price range after borrowing money from my sisters

i wouldnt care but its a 2 hour bus ride to school one way; as well i didnt pick morning classes so i didnt have to wake up early not so i can wake up at 8 and catch the bus.

the reason why im most dissapointed is because this is the first time ive had a car since i started writing many years ago and i was pretty stoked on the idea of actually being able to drive myself to spots to paint.

once im past those issues im used to not having a car and its not a huge problem its just a loss of 1000 dollars.

i will definately be getting a chilton manual though, thanks for the advice.

look at it this way man, youre alive.

it would have sucked even more if it would have popped off while you were doing 65 on the highway (granted it went that fast) and had a bad car wreck.

also, things happen for a reason. maybe you weren't suppost to have that ride after all, and its part of a bigger plan. ive been in a wreck or two, and ofcourse at the time it seemed like the end of the world an shit, but things tend to work out. in my case, i was without a car for a few months, and yes it sucked, but eventually i got one good job and then that one got me another better one, and eventaully i bought a car better than the one i originally had.

so fuck it, shit works itself out if you let it.

also, i looked for the parts that are required for your car. i found basically the most expensive shit i could find. incliding metal instead of rubber radiator hoses.

since you didn't give me a car i went with the 2003 rsx 3.0 as my model car.

this probably means all of the stuff for this car is more than whatever you would pay for the piece of shit you have.

it still didn't come out to to that much. yes i know, labor, but if you do it yourself there is no labor. DIY!

you don't even want to start with car problems.

i put air ride on my 99 sonoma. it honestly has been completely working without any leaks or breaks for about 2 months. the rest of the 10 months i've had it there have been FAR too many problems.

never ever ever ever pimp a daily driver. unless it's just rims or a lowering kit. air ride is AWESOME and i love it, but it sucks when it breaks and it sucks when it's cold.

I was driving my car upstate earlier this week, on the highway, when all of a sudden the two front wheels started acting really weird, then just completely locked, making the car skid out a little and stay stuck in the middle of the right lane.

I reved and reved and it got unlocked, but it sounded like everything inside the car had fallen apart, and it felt like at any moment the car would just collapse. I backed out of an entrance ramp and tried driving to find a garage, and the same thing happened, wheels locked, me stranded in the middle of the sticks, with half a bar of reception on my phone.

Luckily a lady stopped, gave me a ride to a hardware store, I was able to get a tow truck number, got it towed, waited for a friend to come get me. Transmition is totally shot, it would be at least $600 (I've put more money than I care to remember into this car).

So the guy said he'd scrap it for no charge, so I took the plates off, gathers some crap from the trunk, documents, and said goodbye. I've never felt more relieved before, except those times when you really gotta pee, and yeah...

Originally posted by kaesthebluntedwonder@Jan 7 2005, 11:49 AM

So the guy said he'd scrap it for no charge,

the junk yard guys have a great racket going there. they'll always offer to scrap it for free. No one realy wants to spend the big money to get an old car like that fixed. They scrap it and make at least a couple grand on parts. With ebay, its not that difficult to scrap it yourself anymore. One of my friends scrapped his honda after it was totalled in a joy ride theft. all that was left was the frame and lower rear quarter panels.