Cooking with 12oz

Guest Are2

Re: Cooking with Are2

i can ask my girlfriend for recipes on how to cook a japanese breakfast. her nimono is really damn good. usually she just eats a huge bowl of japanese white rice and tsukemono. sometimes a little umeboshi, or natto. most people cant handle natto. its fermented soybeans with a sauce that has the consistency of snot and elmers glue. its smells a bit foul too but i have come to like it. if she can't eat white rice atleast once a day she starts to go crazy. i on the other hand can barely eat a small bowl of it before i get full. its like glue consistency and has no taste. give me brown rice anyday or even better bread! i really miss bread:unhappy2:

Yeah, the Japanese are sleeping on bread in the same way I'm sleeping on seaweed soup and salad and salted broiled mackeral with white rice and natto and tsukemo and all that other good stuff for breakfast. I do like natto, and pretty much any vegetable or starch fermented in new and interesting ways. How do they get the glue like consistancy though that stuff is sticky, crunchy goodness.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lots of responses in here. nice!

where to begin..

fructoes, egullet is cool, thanks for turning me onto that. i just popped over for a second, but it seems like a really good site.

and el bulli's site is actually better than most restaurants sites. did you read the Time magazine article that they have posted? only open for 6 months a year and the rest of the time is spent in a cave experimenting. absolutely nuts. i think i read somewhere that he has a 3 year waiting list for people who want to stage...

and maybe because its a heat wave here right now, but i'm really feeling those japanese pickles as well. a bit of rice and some of those for umami and im straight. asian ingedients are like a magical new world, haha.

my favorite asian food of all time is Filipino though. i swear, its the asian soul food.

and on a professional note, i'm thinking of getting out of the biz.

HP, yeah, I hear you on getting out. The hours suck, the pay is often sucky, the toll on the body is great, the benefits are, well great if you're young and single, but, well, there aren't many other benefits for us old timers. There is alot to cope with as well, food is a very emotional subject, which is often a good thing, but more often not. It's always good to have a backup plan though. Either way, good luck and keep on cooking. I have to say Philipino food is somewhat of a mystery to me still, I haven't ever been to a Philipino restaurant I don't think, I would gladly if the opportunity presented itself. I always picture lots of fried rice with chinese sausages, and lots of pig in leaves and stuff? I also know they like their fish sauce too and call it something like bogung or something. And the fertilized duck embryoes are somewhat of a challenge for me. I have known a couple of Philipinos, but one was adopted, another a sushi chef, and the other was a rather loyal customer of mine so I never really had much Philipino food from them. It's sort of great how they have the whole adobo thing going on, the Spanish and maybe the French as well were colonizing up there mostly right?

I love Asian food on so many levels, but mostly just the basic day to day cuisine people eat in their homes. There is alot of advice to be had on eGullet regarding Asian food, I would recommend some books and what not, but the whole ball of wax is there waiting to be discovered for free from the comfort of your home, go forth.

this is funny.

i always think about getting back into the biz.

sometimes i think i should open my own spot.

hahahaha we all know what kinda life that is.

what am i thinking?

we all get bored wihtour jobs. i swear no matter how cool my shit was i'd get sick of it after five years

i do not know much about filipino food.

i should ask the filipina at my work. i don't think she's much of a cook though.

..but fertilized duck embryos? ..no.

!@#$%, us flips put hot dogs in our spaghetti.

:( its good though

filipino food has lots of wonderful veggies (exotic veggies) and alot of the foods are "soupy"

and that soup (what us ilocanos call "dee-goo") goes so great over rice..

i miss home

• 1 month later...

Bump, just so people know where it's at.

I made some quiche today, cooked bacon, polenta slices, potato slices, caramelized onions and garlic, hot sauce, raw but scrambled eggs, light cream, salt, milk, cheddar go into a pre baked pie shell ala Julia Childs, pop into the oven until a wooden skewer comes out clean.

For anyone doubters, I will reiterate how much I love breakfast.

Hey, it's beer thirty.

• 1 month later...

i cant give you any cool recipes and what not since i think alot of cooking has nothing to do with ingredients its how you cook it. but instead let me give you some japanese/korean stuff that i eat on a daily basis.

su-ponzu.gif

Ponzu

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ponzu (???) is a citrus-based sauce commonly used in Japanese cuisine. It is very tart in flavor, with a thin, watery consistency and a light yellow color. Commercially available ponzu is generally sold in glass bottles, which may have some sediment at the bottom.

Production

Ponzu is made by boiling mirin, rice vinegar, katsuobushi flakes, and seaweed (konbu) over medium heat. When cool the liquid is strained to remove the katsuobushi flakes and the juice of one or more of the following: yuzu, sudachi, daidai, and kabosu (Japanese citrus fruits), and sometimes also lemon, is added.

Ponzu shoyu (?????) is ponzu sauce with soy sauce (shoyu) added, but it is still widely referred to as simply ponzu.

Uses

Ponzu is traditionally used as a dressing for tataki (lightly grilled, then chopped meat or fish), and also as a dip for nabemono (one pot dishes) such as shabu shabu.

i use it when making sauces. difficult to describe but imagine a citrusy soy sauce but without the strong wine salty taste. i do usually mix soy sauce with it however because i love fucking salt on everything. its worth a try. however if you are vegetarian look for one that does not have katsuo or katsuo dashi, which is basically fish flakes. they make it, but it make take alot of looking because only 5% of the ponzu i find on the shelves dont contain the katsuo. i also use this for eating my soba with since the soba sauce usually contains the katsuo.

age%203k.jpg

usuage

its basically very thin tofu. i use it in stir fry dishes rather than regular tofu which eventually turns into psuedo scrambled eggs. but i fry it seperate from the veggies in order to get it to the crispyness i like. it also can hold a seperate flavor from the veggies that you are cooking. really good with a mango/hot pepper sauce.

SPICE-PAS-HCHD-DOINJANG-2.gif

korean miso

i love miso. this brand is really good if you can find it. i usually use the red hot pepper type or the green type container kind. im not sure what the green ones flavor is since i cant read korean. the brown one in the picture is just regular plain ol miso which id recommend a japanese one instead. i use this as a soup stock or again in stir fry sauces. if you dont use miso please start because its damn good.

tsukemono.jpg

tsukemono

tsukemono is pickled veggies. usually pickled in a rice vinegar. i eat it as my breakfast with white rice. when i first had it, i didnt like it. but after awhile i started to really get a taste for them. give it a try. they come in a variety of veggies and colors.

the red one is called gochujang, my mom bought me a big tub of it. 2 great ways to make use of that stuff:

heat up pan

add sesame oil

add steamed rice

add paste

add veggies

mix

fried egg on top

buy red leaf lettuce

make luttuce cup using steamed rice

dab of paste

some korean bbq in it is even better

• 1 month later...

yo to the yo

don't sleep on PUMPKIN CHEESECAKE

a delicious and easy alternative to the ol pumpkin pie

here's a copy/paste of the cheesecake factory recipe since i'm limited on time today

1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs

5 tablespoons butter -- melted

1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar

24 ounces cream cheese -- softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup canned pumpkin

3 eggs

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon nutmeg

1/4 teaspoon allspice

whipped cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Make the crust by combining the graham

cracker crumbs with the melted butter and 1 tablespoon sugar in a medium bowl.

Stir well enough to coat all of the crumbs with the butter, but not so much as

to turn the mixture into paste. Keep it crumbly. Press the crumbs onto the

bottom and about two-thirds of the way up the sides of a springform pan. You

don't want the crust to form all of the way up the back of each slice of

cheesecake. Bake the crust for 5 minutes, then set it aside until you are ready

to fill it. In a large mixing bowl combine the cream cheese, 1 cup sugar, and

vanilla. Mix with an electric mixer until smooth. Add the pumpkin, eggs,

cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice and continue to beat until smooth and creamy.

Pour the filling into the pan. Bake for 60 to 70 minutes. The top will turn a

bit darker at this point. Remove from the oven and allow the cheesecake to cool.

When the cheesecake has come to room temperature, put it into the refrigerator.

When the cheesecake has chilled, remove the pan sides and cut the cake into 8

equal pieces. Use dental floss to make a clean cut hahahaha!! whatevers.. Serve with a generous portion of whipped cream on top.

:pumpkin:

• 3 weeks later...

not exactly "cooking", but......

canned tuna

roasted red pepper (diced or mashed like with a fork)

cubed cheddar cheese

some romano basil vinaigrette (or whatever salad dressing does it for you)

teaspoon or so of wasabi

a lil dijonaise in place of the mayo, or in addition to

black pepper

cayenne papper

chopped chives

100_6936.jpg

maybe looks a little like vomit, but tastes pretty damn good

100_6932.jpg

Had good food tonight..

Steak... Cooked with a flavored Olive Oil...

Take a couple tablespoons of OO, crushed red peppers and a clove garlic.. Nuke for 45 seconds.. Strain out the garlic and peppers.... Use it to cook the steaks.. Salt and pepper on the steak.. Add mushrooms and spinach towards the end.... Cook the spinach in OO, garlic and black pepper.. Food came out real good to my surprise..

• 5 weeks later...

ok so this is a recipie that you can make at home in like 20 minutes and really impress the people/person you making it for. Ive made it on several ocassions and seriously it looks great, taste even better, and if you have any cooking experience it's almost braindead easy.

About zucchini. Zucchini is a summer squash. Like all squashes, it originated in South and Central America and was introduced to Europe during the years of colonization in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. Zucchini was brought back to America in 1921 by Italian immigrants, who had a special fondness for the soft tender vegetable.

When buying zucchini, look for slender ones that are 3 to 6 inches long. At this size, the seeds are edible and the flesh is sweet. The skin should be smooth and unblemished and either dark green or light green with dark stripes. Zucchini will last in the vegetable bin of the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days

*2 medium (12 pound) zucchini, scrubbed clean

*4 cups water

*2 tablespoons olive oil

*1 medium onion, finely chopped

*One 28-ounce can plum tomatoes with juices

*Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste

*1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried

*10 medium fresh basil leaves

*Four 8-ounce skinless, boneless fillets of grouper, wolf fish, or orange roughy

*1/2 cup dry white wine

1.Cut the zucchini into slices 1/8 inch or thinner. In a large pot, bring the water to a boil, add the zucchini, and boil for 2 minutes. Drain, run under cold water to stop the cooking, pat the slices dry, and set aside.

2.To make the sauce: In a saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and cook over low heat for 3 to 4 minutes, uncovered, or until the onion is soft. Add the tomatoes with their juices, salt and pepper, the thyme and the basil leaves. Simmer over medium heat, uncovered, for 10 minutes.

3.Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Season the fish fillets with salt and pepper and place them in a non-stick saute pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Arrange the zucchini slices over the fish, forming an overlapping pattern that looks like the scales of a fish. Add the wine and more salt and pepper to taste and bring the wine to a simmer. Cover with a lid or foil and transfer to the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the fish is flaky.

4.While the fish is cooking, blend the sauce into a smooth puree.

5.To serve, ladle some sauce over the entire surface of a dinner plate. Remove the zucchini-covered fish with a slotted spatula to a paper towel to absorb any excess liquid before setting it in the middle of the sauce.

P.s. I suggest using orange roughy.

When my old man was away I learned a bit about cooking to keep myself occupied. When he got home and I had someone to cook for and practice more, I got pretty good.

I don't know alot about cooking fish though....any suggestions?

Archived