2020+ DRONING day/night hell yeah thread

Dark_Knight

Im not sure if there’s a thread pertaining to this subject or not. If so just link me below.

I recently picked up a DJI Mavic Air as an addition to my arsenal for freelance work. Not completely familiar with it yet, but curious if anyone else has dabbled with production quality drones? 

Tips-Tricks-Ideas would be greatly appreciated.

image.jpg

• Props 2

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
16 hours ago, misteraven said:

@6PenniesDon’t you have one of these?

I've got as Phantom 4 that has been giving me low quality video since the last firmware update.  My brother-in-law has had it in his possession for the past 6 months.  Thing is it's so bulky to take out on hikes and treks that i'm not so inclined to take it.  Been focusing on working with my Fuji XT2, but have plans to take the drone to Page, AZ in a few weeks....

@Dark_KnightPro tip, if you catch it out of the air, it has to be level otherwise it will try to balance itself and you could end up getting chewed up by the blades. Yes those blades break skin and it is a bit dangerous. 

Source - I was helping someone who was worried about landing it so close to the water, grabbed it out of the air, it would t turn off. Now I got a few battle scars on my arm. 

• Truth 1

I have an unfinished drone laying around.  Dude got halfway done building the thing from parts with some missing and gave it to me.  First flight control board had a calibration issue I didn't fix until later, and the RC unit had a disconnected wire to the roll axis that wasn't visible on a quick look (lack of receiver signal on that channel seemed intended thanks to unreadable manuals).  Could still get it to lift off the ground before flipping over, which was probably a good sign considering an entire control axis was missing.   Second control board works fine but needs a bunch of $0.10 wires and an I2C multiplexer for the peripherals + PPM encoder for the radio receiver.  PixHawks are common enough that all the additional parts are floating around amazon & such for maybe $30 total. 

Managed to bump the remote while the power was still hooked up and slice my finger open pretty good.  The blade shattered on impact with my finger because they can't take much more stress  than they get from the torque & down force.  Would have needed stitches if my finger was in the way when it was going full speed, probably.

Anyway, ideally this whole thing needs somebody who knows / cares more about drones than I do and has a more modern RC setup already.   The RC I have here is working for testing but battery connection isn't good enough to trust for flight, especially if it gets anywhere near as fast as it should.    Just judging from liftoff speeds vs. throttle level I'm guessing it will.  The top speeds it should manage (45-55 sideways) are a problem.  It really needs sonar / lidar for power line & animal avoidance and a high res POV camera to fly that fast.  Throwing a gimbal on it and getting it closer to the full carry weight of 5-6lb should cut the speed down quite a bit, but at the top speeds with minimal weights it really needs some level of computer control & better navigation from the handheld. 

I'm considering giving this stuff away at this point if there's anyone really interested in finishing the build.  Let me know and I'll put some pictures up.     None of my friends locally has time for it (I'll never make time for it either) and I got the more expensive stuff for free so I'd rather see somebody else making use of it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
16 minutes ago, where said:

I gather you finally got that sex doll, congrats

Lol. Cinematography/videography, my dude. I learned about cameras because I fly drones, then moved to ground based filming and set myself up with a nice mirrorless camera, gimbal, field monitor, multiple lenses, etc. Even bought a nice editing rig and monitor a few months ago to complete the circle. 

I love talking about that ^ more than I love talking about politics. 

• Props 3
  • LOL! 1

9 minutes ago, lord_casek said:

Lol. Cinematography/videography, my dude. I learned about cameras because I fly drones, then moved to ground based filming and set myself up with a nice mirrorless camera, gimbal, field monitor, multiple lenses, etc. Even bought a nice editing rig and monitor a few months ago to complete the circle. 

I love talking about that ^ more than I love talking about politics. 

we should have a drone thread. I fly drones too.

• Truth 1
  • Props 1

1 minute ago, Dirty_habiT said:

I, also, fly drones..... have an FPV "racing" drone using old 4s tech batteries.  Have rebuilt it several times because it breaks when you plow the ground with it.  @lord_casek

I can totally see you flying FPV! I fly a Mavic Air currently. Have owned Phantom 2, 3, 4, Mavic Pro and before that some cheap Syma drones 
You just said the exact reason I never got into FPV. Constant repairs. I already spend enough on other gear and have enough trouble keeping it
in my head as is. 

Do you fly whoops or the bigger racing drones?  

One thing I could see getting into is Cinewhoops. 

• Like 1

@where - it depends on what your goal w/ the drone is because there are a few different kinds as we've already a kinda hinted around.

Casek is into photography which means his drones likely can do fancy things like alt. holding and fixing on certain targets to stay focused on/follow/film/etc.  Lot's of "smart" features.

"Woop" drones are little things you can fly indoors.  You can get "FPV" woop drones as well.  They are about the size of your palm and boast flight times of ~8m last I checked.  Also depends on how good of a pilot you are aka how good at hauling ass you are.

FPV drones are the kind where you use a set of goggles that have screens inside.  The camera on the drone is transmitting the video back to your goggles using a radio signal.  You are flying the drone as if you are "sitting inside of it" essentially.

You can get drones that use LTE/4G cell networks to communicate as well, and fly those w/ FPV.

My suggestion for entry level is to buy:

a set of "fat shark" goggles.... on ebay used because you can get them cheap.

a balance charger, this doesn't have to be super expensive or feature rich.

a few extra batteries for whatever drone you choose.

a tiny whoop drone.

a decent radio (mine's a Turnigy Evolution I think).

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot to mention above but meant to.... FPV drones will let you do any level of stupid shit.  There are no training wheels or safe guards.  They're basically dangerous af and can hurt you really badly.  They haul a lot of ass and if they hit things at full speed they're basically like a very high speed brick.... think in the ~45mph range.

If you want to buy one you can, or you can build one if you're good w/ soldering + electronics.  My suggestion is to mess w/ a tiny whoop first and fly indoors, maybe get an FPV one so that you can try that out.  Once you can do that comfortably you can probably try flying something bigger in some fields.  Will post pictures of mine in next post.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, where said:

What about bootleg mavics? Amazon has a mavic clone for cheap, decent reviews but take that wit a grain of salt

Those may be ok, but the question ALWAYS for me with this kind of stuff is.... what app and who owns/wrote the app are you trying to get me to install on my phone that basically has access to everything about my personal life.

Super wary of using any apps.  Not to suggest they're all bad, but when you start getting into alibaba knock off shit then you start playing with malware fire.  Just my opinion.  If you want something like DJI, save your money and buy the DJI either new or second hand.  It's got the name it's earned for a reason and that's because they've "figured it out" about how to make a high quality mass consumable photo drone.  As I mentioned before about FPV racing drones having no training wheels..... the DJI Mavics will do very nice things for you like obstacle avoidance, keep you from flying outside of radio range, fly back to home if it loses radio connection or battery starts getting too low to return in time, etc..... all kinds of "nice to haves".

You have to pay for that though because they are quality drones.  What I have is a hacked together POS that is scary and fast and you can run it into your cars or friends or self.... at high speed, and the blades on the rotors move at like a million RPM AND they're sharp af.... they will split you right open no problem.  So all of that is important to keep in mind, they are definitely not for flying indoors, in fact I won't even connect mine to a battery indoors if the propellers are attached to the motors..... because if it "decides" to do anything other what I expect it do while inside.... it will be a disaster.

I want to get a photo drone for doing awesome videos like @Dark_Knightposted above.

• Like 2
  • Truth 1

Here’s a video of a bad crash I had. Still don’t know what happened, but I lost control of the drone. I’m assuming it was some sort of magnetic interference. Luckily I found it the next day in the rat infested brush along side the cuyahoga. All four props were broken.

Edited by Dark_Knight
  • Like 2
  • Props 3

33 minutes ago, Dark_Knight said:

Here’s a video of a bad crash I had. Still don’t know what happened, but I lost control of the drone. I’m assuming it was some sort of magnetic interference. Luckily I found it the next day in the rat infested brush along side the cuyahoga. All four props were broken.

That was cool.