One Man Banned

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

oh wow, I forgot about this. Glad my email bone is connected to my forums bone and my computer bone is connected to my interwebs bone...

Yeah Rad man. Describe all the contents in your bottles that are not already obvious in the pictures. I'd like to send out a few of my own again.

• Like 1
  • Truth 1

On 10/17/2020 at 11:42 AM, Ko SprueOne said:

Bitchen' project! I've done this once with 3 - 12 oz beer bottles. Rolled up flyers for an upcoming gig we were promoting. The flyer read, "free acid and weed if you bring this flyer" at the bottom. Then paraffin waxed them like you did.  I was concerned with getting them past the surf so I went to the end of the fishing pier and threw them as far as I could in the three directions.

No one showed up holding a flyer so I don't know if anyone ever found it.

For your intentions, have you looked into any type of propelled bottles? If you have a way to get them past the surf and drop/place them into the water?

A sort of setup like this:
https://www.solarmade.com/store/product/sbb-3

propelled_solar_bottle_boat.jpg

I love the idea of the double bottle with propeller.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ko SprueOne said:

oh wow, I forgot about this. Glad my email bone is connected to my forums bone and my computer bone is connected to my interwebs bone...

Yeah Rad man. Describe all the contents in your bottles that are not already obvious in the pictures. I'd like to send out a few of my own again.

I like to use 'antique' bottles picked from the RR but slim pickings this time around so no go there.  Had planned to use some pint sized whisky bottles that came with corks when I found the apple juice bottles and went with it.  Short + wide = easier retrieval of contents.  Plus they're perfect for throwing, reminds me of Green Goblin/Hobgoblin bombs.  Both juice bottles have a sketch and a $2 bill, one has a small seashell added and another has a $1 coin.  Lolz, the jar contains a dollar to entice the opener, plus a fart.

• LOL! 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, KILZ FILLZ said:

Missed that story but saw a similar one right before my last trip where it took a bottle a year to reach the other shore.  

Going to give it a go again in a few months, will be staying against open ocean with plenty of time to fuck with this.

On 6/11/2021 at 6:58 AM, One Man Banned said:

@Ko SprueOne if you tried this again what would you put in them?  Was thinking of this the other day and had the thought that in your case it would be cool if it was a model, like a ship or sub, or a creature from the deep.   

Oh man, apologies for the lag time in reply...

if you tried this again what would you put in them?

Yeah, a model would be interesting. Maybe a skeleton in an astronaut suit with a note with tiny writing on it. "Splash down in ocean significantly off target of designated pick up zone. Still waiting for rescue. No confirmation if this is the correct planet... " or something like that.

• Props 1
  • LOL! 1

19 hours ago, Ko SprueOne said:

Not a MIAB but a similar subject, maybe.

Chris Edwards’ Ghost Ship memorial in Emery Bay still needs restoration and a new caretaker.

https://evilleeye.com/in-the-neighborhood/ghost-ship-memorial-artist-chris-edwards-passes-suddenly/

Cool.  I have had the idea to anchor some things into bodies of water but never the ocean.

• Like 1

I just remembered a film we watched in school and found it on YooToob. Check it out when you have 30 minutes. Not a MIAB but also a purpose created object to journey through the wild on it's own to the sea.

Paddle To The Sea

part 1:

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEQO87AF0S0

Part 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiRGBvd7E3o

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As I cast this out my mind was somewhere between "godspeed little doodle" and "that's one small fart for man, one giant fart for mankind."

Outgoing tide, but as you can see, such calm waters.  The bottle stuck close to shore, travelled not more than 50' before seeming to hang around a patch of seaweed.  I waited for the tide to drop enough and was able to retrieve it.  Thankful for a test/gag bottle as this attempt was unsuccessful.  On the good, the wax seal held, so doing that right.

• Like 1
  • Props 1

436654257_IMG_8732copy.thumb.JPG.be48707bacfa7221884ee968e378a798.JPG

The real ones.  These juice bottles are a nice size/shape, plus they come with a screw top so no need for a cork/tape.  Down side, the bottles aren't as 'cool' as some of my picked antique ones of past.  These ones all have some sort of quick sketch, some sea glass (used mainly blue as it's desired by beachcombers), and a skewer cut to bottle size to help remove the contents.  Two have dollar bills (should have brought more), and one has a wrapped coin as well.  

• Like 2

Vid can't do justice to how rough the sea was or how close to it I was, wind/rain, etc.,  had to protect self and camera.  Felt like it was going to get a little end of Point Break there.  Got one bottle out here and 2 more from a higher cliff location.  So much white water, I saw the bottles hit the water, saw that at least 2 landed without breaking, then they were swallowed by the sea.  Hoping they went with the tide but with that rough a sea they could have been smashed on rocks.  If they ever turn up will know these ones had less of a chance and really survived.  

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...