Mercer

17 hours ago, misteraven said:

8E6A51A3-69A1-47DE-BDB1-7DB719B70FAB.jpeg

The Scandi's pay for their QoL but they also don't restrict the ability to build wealth both personal and corporate.  They have a great blend of public funded social programs covering healthcare and education and don't hinder capital opportunity.

Not the thread for this I know.

QoL.PNG

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
9 hours ago, metronome said:

The Scandi's pay for their QoL but they also don't restrict the ability to build wealth both personal and corporate.  They have a great blend of public funded social programs covering healthcare and education and don't hinder capital opportunity.

QoL.PNG

Canada #1... lul.

• Truth 1

5 minutes ago, metronome said:

haha really depends on who you're asking doesn't it 

its also the fact that thinking we are better and more virtuous than others is a large part of Canadian culture. Many Canucks will say how great their life is even if it’s absolute shiite in order to play into this narrative 

• Truth 1

17 hours ago, metronome said:

QoL.PNG

curious how quality of life is being defined. And also not to detail or turn this is a debate, but there’s clear correlation between natural resources, per capita as well as how poorly most systems scale. In almost every instance, there’s a sort of bell curve where scale to a point can less to efficiencies and optimizations and how that trend quickly reversed after a certain point. Look up a lot of studies in regards to military breakdown and structure for a sort of top line view of that. Likewise, look at how even in the USA, we can see how there’s a sort of sweet spot on the success of populations based on density / size. Anyhow, obviously a lot more to it then just that, but don’t think you can have a valid comparison between Sweden and the USA on these terms, for those reasons. 

• Props 1

Apples and Oranges. They obviously don't have the unproductive weight of global empire maintenance,  and policies that aren't pushing young adults towards military service, and prison. 

Saying the standards of living for Swede's is high because of heavy taxation, is like saying the rich family down the street has a bigger house because the dad sniffs coke on weekends. Like yes, it's a fact he sniffs coke, and yes it's a fact his family lives in a better house, but there's no causation. They have money because the dad also owns a profitable business.

There's no way it makes sense for any working person to essentially double their taxes from roughly 30% to 60%, in exchange for "free" health insurance. The numbers don't add up.

Good health insurance for a married couple with no kids is about $750 a month here with zero help from the Government. I know this figure because I research the costs, vs the level of care and pay for my fam's out of pocket. Anyway at $750 a month, if only one person in the family works, and is earning more than $2500 a month (full time at $15.63 an hour) they'd be loosing money in this deal to give up 30% more income. So basically anyone earning over minimum wage, where only one spouse works would be fucked, costing those who earn the more progressively higher losses all the way up.

I'd much rather keep that extra 30% and just pay for my own insurance, and I'm responsible enough to not need a nanny state to force me into it. Even if I would rather keep the $750 a month that's on me, maybe that money would be better spent going towards a downpayment fund for a house if I'm young, and relatively healthy. Either way the point was that government socialized medicine program is a rip off for the working class. Much like social security, if that money forcibly seized from you could have been put towards any average performing retirement fund you'd be getting back way more at retirement than those social security poverty payments. For a little bit of self reliance, and responsibility you can get way more, for much less.

• Props 1

On 7/7/2021 at 9:32 AM, misteraven said:

8E6A51A3-69A1-47DE-BDB1-7DB719B70FAB.jpeg

On 7/7/2021 at 10:24 AM, Mercer said:

You "don't pay for" any health insurance, but if you make $25 an hour, you get to keep $10.70 an hour, sounds super legit.

So reading this stuff got me interested. I did some googling and some math here on my lunch break. For the record, the 50%+ tax rates in Sweden are national + municipal taxes combined for anyone who makes over roughly $537,000 a year. Between $20,500-$537,000 is a tax rate of roughly 32%, or less.

The average per capita income in Sweden as of 2020 is apparently $51,796. At a Municipal income tax of 32%, they tax $16,574 and change, leaving you with $35,221, and medical is covered. 

The average per capita income in the US as of 2020 is $35,672. Federal income tax in this bracket is roughly 12%, but, the average yearly medical premium is roughly $7,188. Tack on your deductible, say $1000, now you’re at $8,188. Some states have State income tax, they’re mostly about 5%. So you have 17% income taxes being taken out, plus the $7,188 (excluding the deductible) leaving you with roughly 37% being taken out in medical insurance, plus taxes. At the per capita income, this leaves you with roughly $21,420. 

Now factor in pre-existing conditions that aren’t covered, ect, ect. 

Edited by abrasivesaint
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, abrasivesaint said:

So reading this stuff got me interested. I did some googling and some math here on my lunch break. For the record, the 50%+ tax rates in Sweden are national + municipal taxes combined for anyone who makes over roughly $537,000 a year. Between $20,500-$537,000 is a tax rate of roughly 32%, or less.

The average per capita income in Sweden as of 2020 is apparently $51,796. At a Municipal income tax of 32%, they tax $16,574 and change, leaving you with $35,221, and medical is covered. 

The average per capita income in the US as of 2020 is $35,672. Federal income tax in this bracket is roughly 12%, but, the average yearly medical premium is roughly $7,188. Tack on your deductible, say $1000, now you’re at $8,188. Some states have State income tax, they’re mostly about 5%. So you have 17% income taxes being taken out, plus the $7,188 (excluding the deductible) leaving you with roughly 37% being taken out in medical insurance, plus taxes. At the per capita income, this leaves you with roughly $21,420. 

Now factor in pre-existing conditions that aren’t covered, ect, ect. 

All your math basically adds up to the same thing I'm saying, working class citizens would have to pay roughly double the taxes, and the majority of us would receive less care in the process. In short, the government can't magically increase the overall scarcity of a resource, it can only decides who's accessing it, and how much.

I mean think about it. You can't increase the output capacity of the same health care services for "free". If you want to render these services for the people currently under, or uninsured that service rendering capacity has to come form somewhere else right?

If you haven't noticed, there aren't a whole lot of unemployed Surgeons, Anesthesiologists, RN's, or medical technicians out there. You can't simply hire more, the costs for these services have to increase exponentially in comparison to output, as opposed to linearly. You can't simply hire 20% more qualified individuals at the same rate offered now. Compensation for these practitioners has to increase to encourage individuals to invest in the education, and other regulatory requirements needed to qualify for this type of work.

If you want the 20% or so of uninsured people to consume the same amount of healthcare services the majority of the insured are currently consuming, you've basically got two choices. Either reduce the services currently rendered to the vast majority of the working class, that are currently insured adequately, or you have to increase healthcare funding exponentially. It's usually a combination of both.

The level of care given to most people drops, things like wait times increase, while the vast majority of of the burden to is placed on the working class who ultimately pay much more, for far less. The wealthy, well they'll take care of themselves, the workers though, they'll have no choice on how much care they decide to pay for, or can receive. Making things worse is the fact that poor people (and most rich people for that matter) don't pay their "fair share" in this country. Who do you think will be picking the vast majority of the tab up for this on their pay days?

What it boils down to is the obvious, it makes more sense to make yourself responsible for your own family, than funding anyone elses health care expenses. Once you throw in the Average Americans individual tax penalty for allowing a military industrial complex to bloat into the global police force, the additional burden of socialized medicine will undoubtably make the majority of working people into slaves. The threat of violence, kidnapping for daring to decide how to consume the majority of your own labor, and earnings as individuals looming over our heads. Peaceful people don't deserve this level of coercion.  Quite frankly I'd rather be in line for welfare, than working all day only to get robbed more than half of my own earnings.

• Truth 1