Mercer

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

"end world hunger" lol

When an economically illiterate person starts fantasizing themselves as one of the most productive/successful people in the world, they think they can somehow eliminate the need for work, over the entire world, like forever. Just don't ask how it would work. Being virtuous in their fantasy is the least they can do, considering IRL they contribute next to nothing to helping others.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 1
  • Truth 1

Pretty sure I've read several sci-fi books that start out with basically this same story. Super-rich guys build reliable options for somewhat rich folks to live off-planet, so they can escape a dying world and leave poor scavengers behind. Now that they're in space living in luxury they find they still need common-folk to do the dirty work, so they hire earthlings at crappy wages... and that's when "things" happen. 

• Truth 4
  • Props 1
  • LOL! 1

3 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

Yeah the governments spending is shitty. Military spending is outrageous. But that’s a government of the most powerful country in the world. He’s one person. His spending and wealth is ridiculous and he’s also ugly as fuck

Thats kind of the point though. If his little space trip can only fund the government for 7 hours, and people expect him to end world hunger, why cant the “most powerful” government make it happen. They can’t even make it happen on a national level.

edit: he is ugly as fuck though

Edited by mr.yuck
  • Truth 2

1 minute ago, ndv said:

I laughed when I heard 3 - 0. It's like it was well deserved.  I just wish it was a one amd done game and Japan immediately sends the loser home.  😆

I laughed even harder when I recently read they were beaten by 15 yr old boys couple years back loll

But they want the big boys' salary... LOL 👌

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

• Props 1

1 minute ago, Kults said:

I laughed even harder when I recently read they were beaten by 15 yr old boys couple years back loll

But they want the big boys' salary... LOL 👌

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/

Well what's even better about their loss, a US team member called the Swedes cowards due to their defense tactics on the field.

• LOL! 1

2 hours ago, Joker said:

Pretty sure I've read several sci-fi books that start out with basically this same story. Super-rich guys build reliable options for somewhat rich folks to live off-planet, so they can escape a dying world and leave poor scavengers behind. Now that they're in space living in luxury they find they still need common-folk to do the dirty work, so they hire earthlings at crappy wages... and that's when "things" happen. 

Thrust up into the starts in Bezos' RocketPP™. Dock hard, and burst forth from the rocket's tip into the mothership. After 9 months that very same dock gives birth to a brand new planet of high paying janitorial careers. Guaranteed wages for toilet cleaners are 3.2 bitcoin a year, twice what you can earn on earth! *Cost of living in space may exceed 4.7 BTC a year*

• Like 1
  • Props 1

In all seriousness, space capitalism (and black markets in particular) make for excellent fiction. A lot of breakout/mainstream authors touch on this genre.

There's actually a really good nonfiction on space capitalism I haven't gotten to yet by one of my favorite economics professors. 

• Like 2