Guest Resurrection

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
why does xbox 360 graphics look better than ps3 graphics if the ps3 is a much more powerful system?

play "gears of war" then play "resistance fall of man" and you'll see what i mean. or xbox 360's madden '08 will run at 60 frames per second, but ps3's madden '08 will run at 30 frames.

It's because the 360 games are in their second generation, meaning the developers have grown more familiar with the tech and code and can now build on first generation code. Gears of War was pretty much the start of the second generation.

PS3 is still in first generation software, and has reported in EGM to be quite difficult, even harder than the 360, to program for, let alone utilize the system's full capability. Expect games to look better and better with in the next, I'd say, 2-3 years (at most), until the code tops out, or new tech comes along. Which is possible, given Moore's Law.

Bump for having my first 360!

Congrats, man, welcome to the "next generation". Just hope it will also be your last 360.

And go buy "Dead Rising" and enjoy it or you are not a true man.....and then get at least 48 achievements and be a truly nerdy man, such as myself. Or you get all 50 achievements, including the two achievements that require 10 and 14 hours straight without saving, and you can call yourself a loser who still has a light sabre and Aurther's boxer shorts from Ghosts 'N Goblins. Those are the only 2 I haven't gotten.

It's because the 360 games are in their second generation, meaning the developers have grown more familiar with the tech and code and can now build on first generation code. Gears of War was pretty much the start of the second generation.

PS3 is still in first generation software, and has reported in EGM to be quite difficult, even harder than the 360, to program for, let alone utilize the system's full capability. Expect games to look better and better with in the next, I'd say, 2-3 years (at most), until the code tops out, or new tech comes along. Which is possible, given Moore's Law.

i figured that may have been the reason. i remember the last n64 games being much superior to the launch games. and this held true for the snes.

still, i figured that ps3's power would still be at least on par with 2nd-gen xbox 360 games. and i'd expect something such as framerate, made by the exact same developers at the same time, wouldn't be slower on a more powerful system. even rainbow six vegas for ps3, which came out much later than the same game on 360, is reported to have "slightly worse" graphics than the 360.

PS3 is more powerful than the 360, not MUCH more powerful, but it does have more technology. That means there is more to hardware to utilize in coding that will eventually, most likely, lead to games that will eventually look better than all 360 games.

The problem developers have, and this has been with all consoles, is that all consoles have different protocols, OS's, and hardware-specific coding languages that take time no matter what. I remember reading magazines that say at the titles launch, the first games utilize only 30% or 70% of the console's capability--a big difference in numbers I know, but still...

That's why some games released on both the PS3 and 360 have had framerates and even graphics favoring the 360 version, because coders are more familiar with the 360 than the PS3 at this point and already know better methods for tweaking than they do on the PS3, given the amount of time they've had to code them. This is especially true for third-party publishers who haven't had time with the system for as long as first party developers.

Congrats, man, welcome to the "next generation". Just hope it will also be your last 360.

And go buy "Dead Rising" and enjoy it or you are not a true man.....and then get at least 48 achievements and be a truly nerdy man, such as myself. Or you get all 50 achievements, including the two achievements that require 10 and 14 hours straight without saving, and you can call yourself a loser who still has a light sabre and Aurther's boxer shorts from Ghosts 'N Goblins. Those are the only 2 I haven't gotten.

Haha. I hope its my one and only as well. I got that baby on top of my minifridge and in front of the AC. Fuck you 3RLOD.

As for Dead Rising, that's next on my download list (got Most Wanted coming in atm for my brother).

The full game is completely different from the demo, just a warning. The full game has a very rigid, but awesome, plot line involving case files that you are limited by time to complete. Completing all of them gets you an ending from A-F depending on whether or not you completed all the case files. Getting an A ending gets you the best reward: even more gameplay. And it has 50 achievements that provide all sorts of great easter egg items.

The only thing that bothered me was no Co-Op, but I heard something about a PS3 version that will have co-op included and there will also be a patch for the X-Box to download that would do the same. I'm not sure how correct that is, but I'm pretty sure that's what I read in EGM.

I've read some bad reviews about it, I thought it looks fun but I guess there are some "one-hit-kill" design faults that hurt the game. I dunno, I'd rent it first. I would probably pirate some games if I had a modded system, but at the same time I want to support games like Dead Rising because it is such a good game that I want to encourage development of better games, or a sequel. I also think it's important to support the 360 market in general because it is still such an early stage of the console that it needs all the support it can get right now.

But I'm definitely not above pirating games and software. With software, sometimes I wind up buying it anyway if I use it a lot, out of respect for the developer and a bit of guilt.

I hear ya. I've bought every Harmonix game as i've been to their place and tested out a bunch of games and just see how it all works out.

BUT, if it wasn't for piracy, i wouldn't otherwise be able to play/buy 99% of the game i have. So if i wasn't going to actually buy it in the first place, nothing was really lost.

I am saving up for the Limited Edition Assassin's Creed though!

Yeah, when you can't afford it, piracy is the way to go. How else to maintain the addiction? A good addiction, I mean.

That's cool you got to go to Harmonix. I sold a synthesizer to one of the guys that works there, who designed the logo and I guess did some coding, too. He said if they have an open position for tester he would let me know, I hope he does. He was a cool, laid-back guy.

They were all wicked cool guys. Practically all in bands. One of the members of Freezepop seemed to be a regular there hanging out. The first game i tested was Amplitude. Then AntiGrav, Karaoke Revolution, and last one was the first Guitar Hero.

Funny thing about GH, they completely thought it was gonna bomb. They did not think there was a target audience for what they were making. THEN of course it was released and was a huge hit--they go on to make GH2 and completely forget about me. No more emails inviting me for pizza and a testplay. I even emailed them and got no response. It really sucks because it seems like they've gotten all big and forgot about the little guys who loved them since their first console game (which most people have never heard of).

:(

They were all wicked cool guys. Practically all in bands. One of the members of Freezepop seemed to be a regular there hanging out. The first game i tested was Amplitude. Then AntiGrav, Karaoke Revolution, and last one was the first Guitar Hero.

Funny thing about GH, they completely thought it was gonna bomb. They did not think there was a target audience for what they were making. THEN of course it was released and was a huge hit--they go on to make GH2 and completely forget about me. No more emails inviting me for pizza and a testplay. I even emailed them and got no response. It really sucks because it seems like they've gotten all big and forgot about the little guys who loved them since their first console game (which most people have never heard of).

:(

damn, reminds me of 50 cent blowing up and forgetting about his boy "bang 'em smurf" that always had his back

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4SKs1ZL4cw

Damn. I have about a 1% interest and knowledge of the "rap" scene yet that was interesting and seemed actually "real".

About modded 360s, there is currently the issue of playing on Xbox Live, but if you have the latest iXtreme firmware, and stealth patch your games, you can stay undetectable to M$ for the time being.

http://www.slyck.com/grabit.php

Grabit is what I use.

Use an NZB indexing site like the one I linked to to make it easy on yourself, you click on one link, and then it automatically will queue up the files in Grabit (or any other newsreader really), you can even set Grabit to auto repair and extract for you, leaving burning as the only step after clicking the NZB link

http://www.binsearch.net/ is another good one. Usenetserver.com also has their own binsearch that's really good

AHhhh!! I'm trying to get Bioshock damnit! So i installed grabit, but i need a News Server? And i need one thast able to download from that alt.binaries place to get bioshock. can you help me?!?!!

http://www.binsearch.info/?q=bioshock&max=25&adv_age=7&server=

I can' tplay that Bioshock as I don't have a next gen console yet.

With all the drama everyone is having with 360s, and the price of PS3s I am going to wait and see what happens in the future before I commit to either of them.

It's for the PC, too, but you'll likely need a smoking hot system to play it at a decent framerate.

Microsoft has a HD Transfer Kit: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/console/datamigration.htm

Here's a hands-on Engadget review: http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/26/xbox-360-hard-drive-transfer-kit-hands-on/

Now would you know why my 20GB HD says its capacity is 13.something on my 360? Perhaps not since you said yours was a 12gb..

There isn't a "standard" 12gb. You have a 20gb HD. All premiums came/come with 20gb, but i just found out that about 7 gigs are taken up by the xbox 1 emulator and other XBL files.

"The total capacity of the Xbox 360 Hard Drive is 20 GB. Of this amount, approximately 7 GB is reserved for system use. Approximately 4 GB of that portion is reserved for game title caching and other hard drive-specific elements in games that support the hard drive, and an additional 2 GB is reserved for use by the Xbox 360 backwards-compatibility software. This leaves you with almost 14 GB of free space, rounded down to 13 GB in the Dashboard, to save game files, downloadable content and music, and other media.

Depending on the market, the hard drive comes preloaded with content, such as videos and Live Arcade games. Therefore, actual free space on a new hard drive may be 11 to 12 GB."

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/911593

And no prob on the transfer kit.