Guest Resurrection

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I'm not going for anything yet, because they are just so expensive. It wouldn't be near the computer so PC inputs don't matter to me. I could fit something about up to 40 inches (/nohomo). Is the difference between 720p and 1080p noticeable? It seems that if you go up to 1080 you're paying an additional thousand dollars. Those brands like LG, Westinghouse, garbage or no?

I'm not going for anything yet, because they are just so expensive. It wouldn't be near the computer so PC inputs don't matter to me. I could fit something about up to 40 inches (/nohomo). Is the difference between 720p and 1080p noticeable? It seems that if you go up to 1080 you're paying an additional thousand dollars. Those brands like LG, Westinghouse, garbage or no?

You don't really start to appreciate the difference between 720p and 1080p until you get to a certain screen size and viewing distance. You'll probably be fine with 720p with a 40-inch screen, 1080 works best for 50+ inches.

yes, it's noticeable.

but like mammero said, the smaller the screen, the less "difference" that will matter. so if you're sticking with 40 inch and you want to save dough, then 720p might be the way to go. 1080p is 1,080 horizontal lines progressively scanned across the screen every 60th of a second (more pixels), as opposed to 720 lines (less pixels). getting a bigger screen is like getting a bigger magnifying glass -- you'll be able to notice more details.

i have a 52-inch 1080p, and the difference is noticeable when switched to 720p. still, 720p looks great and still falls under "HD." you can even notice a *slight* difference between 1080i and 1080p.

i'm waiting for those laser screen flatpanel tv's to drop though. supposed to be better resolution than either plasma or LCD, uses less power, lasts longer, and is cheaper to make.

Okay - another question about buying a 360. I'm sure I'll pepper y'all with a lot by the time the purchase is done.

I've read a little bit about the various ways to hook up the 360 to an HDTV, and I'm wonder what's 1) best and 2) most cost-effective (hopefully 1 and 2 being the same answer, although probably not).

I have a Toshiba 52HM94, 720p. I recall Theo talking about returning some Monster cables and picking some up over the Interwebz. Am I right?

Anyway, basic question is what all do I need to buy beyond what comes with the 360 Premium. Thanks.

Okay - another question about buying a 360. I'm sure I'll pepper y'all with a lot by the time the purchase is done.

I've read a little bit about the various ways to hook up the 360 to an HDTV, and I'm wonder what's 1) best and 2) most cost-effective (hopefully 1 and 2 being the same answer, although probably not).

I have a Toshiba 52HM94, 720p. I recall Theo talking about returning some Monster cables and picking some up over the Interwebz. Am I right?

Anyway, basic question is what all do I need to buy beyond what comes with the 360 Premium. Thanks.

yes, i returned some monster hdmi cables because they were over $100. if you're concerned about "brand name," you can get some $20 hdmi cables from apple.

with the 360 premium, it comes with component cables. however, it doesn't come with an hdmi output. the new 360 elite (black finish) has hdmi output. component cables display up to 1080p and look great (better than typical composite cables). however the highest you can upgrade video-wise on a premium is with the VGA cables. they're supposedly almost as good as hdmi. i personally am satisfied with the component cables that come with the premium. audio-wise, it's still standard L/R audio. but there's an output for digital optical audio cables you can use -- which gives you just as good sound as hdmi.

so best (for a premium) 1) vga cables combined with digital-optical audio cables

most cost-effective 2) the component cables it comes with

It wasn't Virtua racing was it?

I remember playing it when I had a birthday party at an arcade way back when (15 or so years ago) with unlimited games for me and my friends and I was playing it heaps because it was the most expensive game to play there, and I liked to drive as I was too young to actually drive.

I remember when I had my 2nd arcade party and some guy was playing SF2 and I got the attendant to rack up a credit for me, then once I kicked this dudes arse he wanted to go me. He soon realised that it would have been in vain, because even if he kicked my arse, my 20 friends who had free video games for 2 hours were gonna come after him, haha!

While on the subject of SF2, here is a cool video of the best SNES game ever,

and a funny parody, of SF: the later years

"ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?! YOU FUCKING FAGGOT! NEVER PICK UP THE SNIPER RIFLE AGAIN! TAKE YOUR DISC OUT AND SNAP IT IN HALF! YOUR MOTHER'S A FAGGOT. YOU CHAINSAWING CUNT. YOU FUCKING CANADIANS ARE THE NIGGERS OF EUROPE! YOU FAGGOT FRAG TAGGER! IT'S 3 VS 4 AND YOU'RE FUCKING FRAG TAGGING! YOU FUCKING NIGGER! OH MY GOD, CHAINSAWER! YOU GLITCHING FAGGOT!"

I've been dealing with this shit for the past 2 months, every day.

Why I didn't get rid of it earlier I have no idea.