Good article on Shepard Fairey plagiarism...

SerialSkiller

"Most well known for his "Obey Giant" street posters, Shepard Fairey has carefully nurtured a reputation as a heroic guerilla street artist waging a one man campaign against the corporate powers-that-be. Infantile posturing aside, Fairey’s art is problematic for another, more troubling reason - that of plagiarism.

Lincoln Cushing, Josh MacPhee, and Favianna Rodriguez, worked closely with me on researching this article, having initially brought Fairey’s plagiarism to my attention. Cushing is an art historian and author of Revolución: Cuban Poster Art, Visions of Peace & Justice, and Chinese Posters: Art from the Great Proletarian Cultural Revolution. Josh MacPhee is an artist, activist and author of Stencil Pirates: A Global Survey of the Street Stencil, and Favianna Rodriguez is an artist, activist and Chicana print maker. Their invaluable research and documentation provides the foundation for most of what appears in this article..."

continued...

http://art-for-a-change.com/Obey/

• Like 1

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with whoever said wheat paste and stencils are lame.i mean their cool to look at occasionally but for the most part when i see them in like dc or when im in kc i pass by them and take pics of the shit ridin on the highway and whatnot.i recorded rash last night thinking it would be about you know bombing...but no it was a show about a bunch of aussies putting up stickers and shit.i dont want to watch that.i want to watch people bomb shit and get into drunken fights and write on stupid graffwhore titties and shit..goddamn europeans.minus the transit shit they do in berlin and munich i am not a fan.

aussies are not europeans.

more or less.they came from england...they have a bit of a different swagger about them but they are still more or less englismen.i like australians for the most part.i just dont want to sit through 2 hours of you putting up stickers on stop signs and pretending like your actually risking your freedom and personal safety on the same level as a dude hanging off a ledge trying to put his name up.i got alot more respect for bombers than i do for stencilists and shit.

just sayin yo.

banksy and fairy areboth faggots i bet banksy stencilsfairys back whilst he pumps his ass full of hipfaggotry.i couldnt care less if this faggots rich he made a career through biting we all know this but who cares right its marketable hopefully the yuppies ask for a refund on all of thier "original"works

That "plagiarism" article is absolutely useless

Like it's a damn scoop to find out Obey is inspired by Russian propaganda aestetic?

Trying to hurt his career, being some jealous cunts that have nothing to say?

The fuck out of here, Giant was never considered an 'artist', he just paste freaking poster all ready.

That "plagiarism" article is absolutely useless

Like it's a damn scoop to find out Obey is inspired by Russian propaganda aestetic?

Trying to hurt his career, being some jealous cunts that have nothing to say?

The fuck out of here, Giant was never considered an 'artist', he just paste freaking poster all ready.

He wasnt inspired. He straight up copied works.

i wonder if shepard can really draw though.i would like to see if he has any skills with the pen and whatnot.

This is a true story... I went to one of his gallery/shows, and outside somebody had a blackbook and handed him a Sharpie and said "can you hit my book bro". And he had a confused look on his face, and said "I don't really write, but here", and grabbed an Andre The Giant sticker out of his pocket and slapped it in his book.

:lol:

• Like 2