Nightmare On Elm Street 2010...

Smacky636

I saw this thurs night at a midnight showing

it is by far the worst remake so far, simply because the whole concept is based on Freddy as a character, and when there is no attention to writing you can't have a memorable character like the original. I liked the Texas chainsaw massacre and first Halloween remake, wasn't that mad at the Friday the 13th remake, but this was by far the worst

I would say don't even bother seeing this in the theater unless you are a die hard Freddy fan, just cop the bootleg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Writers strike deaded creativity a ways back. Usually nothing beats an original, but perspective probably plays a role too. When all those originals came out I was probably in 3rd grade watching a real R rated movie, not today's lame R rated movies, so shit was way cooler.

A friend asked me for a review... so I wrote one:

My initial negative thoughts about the idea of a remake of A Nightmare on Elms Street upon seeing the first theatrical trailer months ago ended up matching my reaction to the actual film. Understand, for me, the original Elm Street is held in high esteem because it was, in fact, the very first horror film I ever saw at age six or seven. Because of that, Robert Englund’s Freddy Krueger actually haunted my dreams for a while and has since sat at the top of my most revered movie monsters. It truly is the horror film of my generation.

This 2010 retelling of the original mythology is too clean, in more than one way. The story was cleverly tied together to try and make better sense of the reasons why this burned boogie man haunts the dreams of the Elm Street kids. Where the original film is quite a bit more vague in this area, Elm Street 2010’s over-construction makes the story far more boring than the original, forcing the overall creepiness of the film to be left to typical, played out, horror movie “jump scare” scenes.

My change to excitement for the remake of Elm Street really stemmed from two things: Jackie Earl Haley for one, and some of the great visuals being released in later trailers and screen-shots. Haley is a fucking creepy guy and I figured he would suit Fred Krueger very well, even if they were going for a more serious, eerie personality for the character. Unfortunately, the drying of the story also dried out the Krueger character and made him nothing more than a pissed off pedophile. While Haley injected brief moments that were reminiscent of what Fred Krueger should be, overall I felt his version falls way short. I also didn’t care for the more realistic burn-patient make-up. Perhaps I am just biased - for me, if there is no Englund then there is no Krueger.

My second let down was the visual look of the film. My criticisms in this arena are a bit more mixed than that of the characters. The cinematography and lighting was very well done in this new version. There was a great deal effort put into the change between awake and dream state and I though that was pretty cool – even if it ultimately took away from the scare factor a bit (in the original you sometimes didn’t know if the kids were dreaming or not, playing with you mind more – far less so in the new film). The other aspect of this was the gore effects. Some of them, including a lot of the kills were very well done. However, some of the “Freddy haunt” scenes just looked terrible – as in bad CG – the worst being the scene where Fred’s form stretches out of the wall above Nancy’s bed. This CG hack version just looked awful.

Overall, I came out of the theater feeling disappointed – which I initially expected. This time I let myself fall into the arms of the media hype-up of the film and was ultimately dropped on my bum without so much as a four-knifed cut. On the upside, however, my interest in the new film helped my catch up on some of the collection of the original films and reminded me how great, indeed, they still are. At least I will always have the original Nightmare to return to…

Haha

Overall i liked the movie. The gore was on point, there were definitely a few times where i got that SURPRISE jump in my seat. A couple of the broads are pretty banging....and the final scene was fucking awesome. In all honesty I was expecting more cheesiness but I have to say the movie delivered.

I just don't understand all this cg crap I know at some points its beneficial or maby even needed but seems to me its getting out of hand, but on to my point freddies face in preview it look odd and didn't have that same factor that makeup and prostetics added to the orignal, hell maby they did it to give it a diffrent edge idk ana I think if movies keep going in this direction theirs going to be a serious lack in qaulity movies and lazy movie production and wich seems to be apparent already, shit I was watching "Jurrasic Park" not to long ago and relized something we may never see another movie quite like it again or even are children get that same experience I felt the first time I saw it.

• 2 weeks later...