Bizarre Earthquake Cloud Formations

christo-f

There was another EQ in China today. The southern province of Yunnan, which lies next to Sichuan where an EQ early last year killed around 90 000 people. Whilst this EQ doesn't seem to have had the devastating results of the Sichuan quake, there was something pretty wild about it.

I remember reading that before/after the Sichuan quake there were strange cloud formations in the sky. Being the skeptic that I am I put this down to utter bullshit. Well this time people photographed the cloud patters.

eqclouds1.jpg

eqclouds2.jpg

Please forgive if this is common knowledge as I am not a seismologist. Does anyone know of this stuff or have any stupid comments they'd like to make? How does what is about to happen or has just happened affect what is going on a few thousand feet up in the sky? I want answers!

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Something have fallen over, what, like tht whole building in Shanghai the other week?!

No, there were reports of these formations both before and after the Sichuan EQ as well. A the time I remember reading that the locals were pissed that no warning was sent out that an EQ may be coming when some (older, I think) people were pointing toward the sky and saying that it was an omen of disaster (which says to me that the people who saw these clouds have seen them before in connections with EQs. Sichuan lies on one of the world's most active fault areas and of course the Himalayas).

So, no, no smoke here, all cloud.

earth fart

earth farts are awesome...

living on the west coast a lot of us are living on very active fault lines and have felt many quakes but have never witnessed an earth fart yet... some day tho.

living where i do in the pacific northwest we can see one to four volcanos at a time depending on where you are at in the city.

In 2004 I got to see Mt St. Helens erupt, it was pretty fucking cool.

I think at first it looked like an earth fart... you be the judge.

helensfart.jpg

I googled "cloud formations and earthquakes", and this came up:

Curious cloud formations linked to quakes

CAN unusual clouds signal the possibility of an impending earthquake? That's the question being asked following the discovery of distinctive cloud formations above an active fault in Iran before each of two large earthquakes occurred.

Geophysicists Guangmeng Guo and Bin Wang of Nanyang Normal University in Henan, China, noticed a gap in the clouds in satellite images from December 2004 that precisely matched the location of the main fault in southern Iran. It stretched for hundreds of kilometres, was visible for several hours and remained in the same place, although the clouds around it were moving. At the same time, thermal images of the ground showed that the temperature was higher along the fault. Sixty-nine days later, on 22 February 2005, an earthquake of magnitude 6.4 hit the area, killing more than 600 people.

In December 2005, a similar formation again appeared in the clouds for a few hours. Sixty-four days later, an earthquake of magnitude 6 shook the region (International Journal of Remote Sensing, vol 29, p 1921).

Guo and Wang suggest that an eruption of hot gases from inside the fault could have caused water in the clouds to evaporate. Another idea is that ionisation may be involved: Friedemann Freund at the NASA Ames Research Center in Moffett Field, California, recently demonstrated that when rocks are squeezed, positively charged ions form in the air above. The trouble is that ions usually help to form clouds, not dissipate them.

The authors say that if recognisable cloud formations precede large quakes, they could be used for prediction, but other seismologists are sceptical. "There is no physical model that explains why something would suddenly occur two months before an earthquake, and then shut off and not occur again," says Mike Blanpied of the US Geological Survey's Earthquake Hazards Program.

pretty interesting, I never heard of this before this thread.

There's also a Cloud Appreciation Society, I think I might join.