The Beer Thread

H. Lecter

One time when I was visiting my parents a couple years back, my mother bought me a bottle of that Lindeman's Framboise Lambic (or some other lambic that had a very similar bottle). I took 4 or 5 sips, made my dad take a sip, and then proceeded to pour it down the sink. It tasted like koolaid that had somehow gone bad. Basura.

Maybe some day I'll give another Lambic a whirl, but I certainly wouldn't pay more than a dollar to do so. Especially if that is one of the "good" ones. Also, is that shit really 2.5% ABV like beeradvocate is saying? I'd be better of drinking some juice that actually tastes good.

I would guess it was not Lindeman's, just about all other lambics I've had were shit. I believe alcohol content is 2.5-4%, not sure on the framboise. Either way, Lindeman's is the best I've had of this style of beer.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was at the bar audibly clowning on lambics when my bartender, who is a beer expert (really), suggested i try a REAL lambic because i was "probably drinking lindeman's".

not sure what he gave me, but it was good for a fruity type beer - though, i would never purchase such a thing.

Interesting, ask him what it was when you get a chance. I've had some other Belgian brand that made a banana one years ago that was good, and 1 other really good one, but the others have tended to be more sour. Never realized how low the alcohol content goes, but in the past I tend to have had a Corsendonk or Duvel bomber first, and over the weekend I had quite a lot of other brews 1st.

$765 Bottle of Beer

48d78cfa.jpg

According to Scottish firm BrewDog, “The End of History” is the“strongest (55% alcohol), most expensive and most shocking beer in the world.” Just 12 bottles were made and the company has already sold out.

The dead animals which were used to create the beers’ unusua appearance were four squirrels, seven weasels and a hare. All were roadkill, James Watt, co-founder of BrewDog, said defensively.

i was at the bar audibly clowning on lambics when my bartender, who is a beer expert (really), suggested i try a REAL lambic because i was "probably drinking lindeman's".

not sure what he gave me, but it was good for a fruity type beer - though, i would never purchase such a thing.

If you or any of the other guys want to try a real lambic you should look for something from Cantillon or Drie Fonteinen. Here are a couple good lambics that are relatively easy to find:

Cantillon Gueuze

Cantillon Kriek

Girardin Black Label Geuze

Drie Fonteinen Oude Geuze

Drie Fonteinen Oude Kriek

Geuze's will be more straight up tart and funky, while kriek's will be more fruity considering they are brewed with cherries, but most aren't overly sweet at all.

The only downside is the cost. Real lambics aren't cheap, they are brewed almost exclusively in Belgium and the price gets inflated a pretty fair amount.

It's worth a shot though, especially if you are into tart, acidic, funky flavors. They certainly aren't for everyone though.

Haven't tried the Smashed yet & would like to. The Pumpkinhead was real good fresh on tap. Everyone here swears by the DH but I've had it time & again and don't like it. Had the Smuttynose last week, nothing great, and in the past Post Road has been nothing special. The Southern Tier is good but is a little more like pumpkin/chocolate.

Dogfish%20Head%20VictoryBrewing%20Co%20Stone%20Brewing%20Co%20Saison%20du%20BUFF.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1275016474905

This now to do something different. People in here seem to swear by all 3 of these companies, I'm not as big on them. Anyhow, very good aroma. Beyond that, the taste seems to alternate between sips between bitterness and the flavor of the herbs used. I think they should have balanced the herbs better or used less than 4, maybe ditched the parsley. There's better brews in this style IMO.

pumking1.JPG

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but oh my god this beer is amazing. It's been awhile since I've had one, but I got one today and am drinking it right now. 8 bucks for a 22 oz. bottle, but worth every penny. I love me some pumpkin ales, but this right here is head and shoulders above the rest. It doesn't even taste like beer, it tastes like some delicious pumpkin pie treat. Not overly sweet, but aromatic and totally reminiscent of pumpkin pie. 9% abv as well. holy shit this stuff rocks.

i think buffalo bill's pumpkin is one of the worst i've had, besides obvious stinkers like blue moon and the michelob offering, jack's pumpkin spice or whatever.

I'm not a big fan of any fruit or veggie flavored beer, and was only basing my comment on what I remember from the one I did try a few years back. Having very little experience from which to draw a conclusion I thank you for your opinion, as now if I'm ever asked to find one for a friend I will refrain from choosing this.