MACWORLD 2008

Abracadabra

not only that but, you get what you pay for.

i've had my Mac since Aug 2000 and it hasn't FAILed me yet!

btw, i read the reviews for the Toshiba and the Sony X505.

they both have a smaller screen and most importantly both lack what most other PCs lack, Mac OS.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is pretty interesting.

I like that it is a closer move to solid state computing, and it is also a sign that it is merely a short matter of time before multitouch is standard on not only macs but pc's as well. Some of the pioneering technologies on that is done by Microsoft scientists.

While I usually don't see much importance coming from things that some1 posts, his lil picture of that samsung piece is pretty awesome.

I am waiting for Samsung to get a whole lot more popular. Their phones are bangin and their screens are fucking awesome. Sony outsources all their LCD production, outside of the BRAVIA line to Samsung I believe.

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Apple Inc. shares continued to take a pounding for a second straight day Wednesday, with investors and some industry analysts expressing disappointment with Apple's latest announcements at the annual Macworld Expo.

Apple's (AAPL:AAPL 164.88, -4.16, -2.5%) stock cut its losses, but was still down by $7.47, or 4.4%, to trade at $161.66 in afternoon action, adding to the previous session's losses in which the stock gave up more than 5%.

Part of the reason for the decline was attributed to concerns about Intel Corp.'s (INTC: INTC 19.93, -2.76, -12.2%) disappointing outlook, as Apple exclusively uses Intel processors in its line of Macintosh PCs.

Chief Executive Steve Jobs tried to reach back to last year's show, in which he debuted the iPhone, saying that Apple has sold 4 million of the smart phones in six months. However, topping the iPhone unveiling put Apple and Jobs in an unwinnable position, according to Mike Abramsky of RBC Capital Markets.

Apple takes more hits following Macworld

i think mac made a huge error by leaving out the super drive. toshiba put out a computer a few months ago that was only 1.5 pounds complete with a cd/dvd-rw and most of the stuff the apple air has and so does the sony tz.

Making it external defeats the portability option; its just another thing you have to carry around.

Bad Move.

i think mac made a huge error by leaving out the super drive. toshiba put out a computer a few months ago that was only 1.5 pounds complete with a cd/dvd-rw and most of the stuff the apple air has and so does the sony tz.

Making it external defeats the portability option; its just another thing you have to carry around.

Bad Move.

Agreed.

Also, there are people building the same components as high end macs for near 700$ as clones. I just got a new HP with dual core for $650. I by no means am doing any hardcore computing beyond running multiple programs. It serves my purposes fine. And as soon as I drop back down to XP PRO it will be run soooooo smoothly. I stuck with vista for a while just to try it. It is a funny OS. But completely defeats the purpose of having the dual core.

At any rate. I think Mac needs to stop fuckin around with this minor advancement shit in favor of a longer plan to make money of incremental upgrades and just go fuckin crazy for a while. Just release the craziest shit you got. Make the world have to catch up with your shit.

Same goes for Google. However I think Google knows this more than Mac. I expect some nutty stuff from them in the next couple years.

I still think the craziest shit we are gonna see end user computing wise is gonna be in 2009 when the spectrum finally goes up.

Imagine how important Apple will be then. As one of the longer running contemporary smart phone producers (By that point, with only more startups to step in in the next year, and all the originators, RIM, Palm, any of those other ones I forgot.) their level of impact will be huge. They just need to learn to let more third party apps on to the iphone and itouch. And cmon Apple, just open up the iphone and get rid of the difference between the two (iphone and itouch that is).

blahh... 2009. you mark my words.

I really don't understand how itunes movie rental approach will do anything for apple. First off the cost of renting a video online is retarded, you can go to a few video sites online and view movies for FREE. I was a bit interested when I heard the news since the view instant on netflix doesn't work on a mac, although after I reviewed the details, it totally turn me off. I'm sticking to getting movies in the mail, shit once I get the movie I just convert that shit into a mp4 and keep sending them back. I think in a month I converted 12 movies. So when I get the chance to watch a movie I have a good amount of options.

I think this is as a desperate approach to get itunes back on track, I really hate buying anything off itunes. Those fuckers put all types of blocks on the files and sometimes you can't even open your account.

the niche market for this thing is called "hipster-dumbasses" and i'm glad that i'm not part of it.

camron.jpg

Bad Move.

unless you have a Mac at home, that is turned on.

you can access your comp at home via the interwebz.

right?

thats cool until someone hands me a something i need to upload on my computer or I want to put some of my music on it without buying it again.

I have some insider information so I'm going to let you in on a secret. Mac is trying to get rid of CDs.

They have invested a fair bit of money into "the future" of music and information technology. The goal/risk of leaving out the superdrive is see if its viable right now.

They may be hype artists but you have to have a product that can stand up to the hype and cost vs. convenience is going to play into this.

ok, honestly, how often do you have to load music into your laptop while on a jet or in a car/subway/train/bus? chances are, in this day and age, someone your going to get music from has an ipod or some kind of MP3 player...just plug n play. no need for drivers on a mac, right? also, don't these Macs have some kind of sensor that can "borrow" from another Mac or PC?

ok, honestly, how often do you have to load music into your laptop while on a jet or in a car/subway/train/bus? chances are, in this day and age, someone your going to get music from has an ipod or some kind of MP3 player...just plug n play. no need for drivers on a mac, right? also, don't these Macs have some kind of sensor that can "borrow" from another Mac or PC?

"i want to be able to do what i want when i want. I don't want to be limited to the confines of my computers capabilities."

thats just practical thinking.

Bluetooth is too slow in general, not secure, and standard to most computers. The traveling business person market is going to be PC controlled as long as the business world is PC based. If mac cant bring something to the table that is better it will stay that way. The need to invest a little of their R+D funding into consumer research. I think that they forgot that they are supported by Ipods and their computer sales aren't that high.

I do commend them however for adding the Iphones zoom/pinch abilities to the computer. It may not boost sales but it forces the rest of the market to step up their game.

or a niche market of traveling business professionals ya fucking jackass.

you're funny, fanboi. a stunning 54Mbps connection to intranets (this will change in 2009 to up to 248Mbps though) and no connection to the internet at all if you're on a location where no wireless/bluetooth is available because this thing does not support UMTS express cards. battery life is sub-standard too.

• Like 1

where did you come from, and will you please go back?

ive never seen an apple fan speak with as much zealousness FOR apple products, as anti-mac people speak AGAINST them. its such a pathetic one sided crusade, with a target that's too busy enjoying their simple, stable, well designed products to give a shit. we get it, you think its a stupid product. so? dont buy it.

i use my cd drive once or twice a year. if i could shave half an inch and a pound off my macbook, i'd gladly trade it for an external without question. thats me though.

PS sony has been making vaio's without optical drives for a decade. sony is still in business.

shit is hot and would be great for someone such as a student/business person that has to travel a lot with their computer. when i was in school i carried my ibook all over hell and back and would have loved to have this thing. plus, the touch pad is fuckin ill. after being able to scroll by using two fingers on my ibook, all other laptops seem to suck at internet browsing.

seeking why do you get this offended when i'm ranting a bit about a shitty product? i'm not anti-Apple, i use Macs since G4's came out. i just do not follow the cult/hype thing they create over their brand/products.

PS the Vaios without optical-drive had at least ethernet

PPS i never stated that hey will go bancrupt because of the Macbook Air

here's a comment i posted to an article somewhere that sums up my opinions on the announcements...

I'm not usually one to comment on articles, but I've been thinking about this quite a bit since Apple's recent new announcements. Steve Jobs all but admitted that Apple TV was a half hearted effort on their part, and in my opinion, used his charm to mask their continuing half hearted efforts in this area. A software update and price cut won't create the tipping point they need, and I also doubt that over priced, medium-resolution video rentals will do it either.

True HD (1080p) is worlds apart from 720p if you have the proper hardware to display both. I believe 1080p hasn't begun to take off mainly because the companies building hardware for displaying it are doing a piss poor job in getting the word out since their still consumed in slugging it out to establish the standards for it. Meanwhile, the content providers are too busy sitting on the fence while standards are being fought over, rather then broadcasting, or making content available.

However, as LCD prices continue to plunge, and more and more people decide to drop CRT for LCD (probably more due to the smaller foot print of the form factor then anything else), they'll also be in a position to take note of the beautiful picture available from 1080p. Why Apple is ignoring this is beyond me. Obviously the Apple TV appeals mainly to a sophisticated consumer despite the aggressive price point, even if it is no longer tethered to a computer and iTunes library. Ever since I personally brought home a 46" samsung, watching even 1080i sucks. No way in hell would I spend even $229 on something to watch, at best, a 720p picture. I don't care if it downloads faster, or that the H.264 codec does a fair job of rendering video, watching anything besides 1080p is a larger gap then listening to an audio cassette after being presented with a compact disc. If I want to spend money to watch poor video content, I'll use On Demand services from my cable company and forego the dedicated hardware Apple is selling, as well as the extra $2 a movie they're charging. Or since I'm already compromising anyways, simply continue using Netflix which is 'good enough' for now.

Though I think the spirit of your article is debating what medium will it be delivered in, this subject is somewhat irrelevant. This will be dictated by what's most convenient to the end user, while balancing quality. Currently, there simply isn't the bandwidth at a price economical enough to justify 1080p downloads. It'll be a long while before there's enough broadband to go around to avoid the lossy compression necessary to make higher res content available for reasonably short downloads. Apple seems to be gambling on the fact that people want convenience over quality, but then ignore how convenient Tivo like functionality and DVR is for content on demand. Meanwhile for an extra $100 I can buy a PS3 to watch 1080p video, browse the internet from my couch, play networked games, and chat with friends around the world. Not that Sony has gotten it correct (how hard would it be to add Tivo-like functionality to the PS3, have it sync to a Mac, and create an iTunes like experience for buying content?), but they're several steps closer than Apple.

Apple (rightfully) can't even justify putting their Apple TV announcement on the home page. Even the $20 software upgrade for the iPod touch has taken priority over the Apple TV update. The Apple TV is the shining example of how even Apple can get it totally wrong on occasion*.

*The other example is how for years they've been pushing digital content creation (aka the 'Digital Hub') via iMovie, iDVD, iPhoto and Garage Band and then turn around and release a laptop that won't allow you to connect to 90% of the prosumer video cameras and dSLR's due to a lack of a firewire port. A prosumer laptop that can't connect to prosumer peripherals... Wonderful! Oh yeah, and just to make sure and cripple the MacBook Air further, they give it 5 hours of battery life, with no way to remove the battery and replace it with a spare, thus forcing you to be tethered to an electrical outlet, even if you can surf the internet wirelessly and leach off the DVD drives of other computers on the network. At least it's super thin (even if it has the same foot print of a 15" MacBook or MacBook Pro when sitting on my desk)...

Guest shai_hulud

I went to Macworld last week (day after the keynote). The only thing I really wanted to see was the Macbook Air. Which I did...it was hard to miss.

Two things-

1- It's very, very thin in person. Impressively so. They had a mobile made of six of the cases on display, and when I was more than thirty feet from it it was hard to see them in profile. One thing I can't fault Steve Jobs on is his obsession with design. Say what you want about the iPhone, but it will go down as a landmark piece of design work, along with the Touch and the MacBook Air.

2- However, the people he hired to answer questions (I seriously doubt they were reps) were not as knowledgeable as I would have liked them to be. He could have hired a cheerleading team to better effect. Therefore, my questions about the operating altitude/temperature requirements for the Air (pretty restrictive), battery life (how long it will hold a charge, not how long the charge lasts), wireless security, status and policy on the SDK for the iPhone, and whether Firewire was going to be dropped...well, I'm still wondering.

I didn't really care about the other stuff there. After all, it's just a trade show.

*edit- Raven, did you ever switch to Mac servers, or are you still running RHEL? I remember in 2005 you saying something about that.