MACWORLD 2008

Abracadabra

I still think overall that OS X is a work in progress. It's a great system, but a good example of something I don't like about it is the fact that I can't make it look like OS 9 to conserve on resources.

Most Unix/Xwindows based systems give you different desktop options (KDE, *box, Gnome), but not OS X. You CAN port KDE via Darwin, but that's a lot of coding I just don't feel like doing. If someone knows different, then please, enlighten me.

what OS isn't a work in progress? an OS that no longer evolves is just a dead OS. the crown jewels of OS X is the GUI, not the core. that's why the underlying system is open sourced and the GUI isn't. Also, OS X is a Unix based system (Mainly FreeBSD with a Mach Kernel). Running a stripped down GUI wouldn't save you many CPU cycles since a good part of the eye candy is offloaded to the GPU. and fact is, you can run a stripped down GUI native on OS X anyways.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fair enough, but they still invested the millions of dollars and tens of thousands of man hours into bringing to market products that did not exist previously, or did not exist in that form. the cube might have tanked, but it was a precurser to the minimac and imacs. no one else at the time was even thinking of making something that small and self contained. the newton failed, but it looks nearly identicle to the palm pilots that were a huge hit for several years, leading to the blackberry and all the 'smart phones' now available.

one of apple's biggest problems has been that they introduce technology ahead of it's time for mass market adoption. the newton flopped, but it ushered in the era of palm top devices. it took palm more then a decade to catch up to the functionality of the newton. it's just when newton dropped, the technology hadn't been miniaturized to that degree, and it took consumers a while to figure out what to make of it. that said, apple IS steve jobs, and the newton was john sculley's baby. steve jobs is far more intuitive in predicting what people want, and when they want it. iMac, iPod, iPhone have all been on cue, as has been the deading of the floppy, the integration of wifi, and the invention of firewire. though his record isn't perfect (apple III, lisa, and IMHO apple TV). i think revision B of the MacBook Air will be a must have since most the setbacks are either easily fixed, or an obvious upgrade...

We also can’t help but think that a Penryn based MacBook Air would be far more desirable thanks to lower thermal output of Intel’s 45nm chips. If you are fine waiting, a MacBook Air in the second half of 2008 will give you slightly better performance, better battery life and should keep your lap a lot cooler.

also...

I bought a brand new compaq laptop and it didnt even last me a year... Xp was fucked and the laptop itself was crap. I opaid like 900 for it and less than a year of having it I sold it to a friend for $150

no doubt that apple holds it's value far better. kinda like a mercedes vs a toyota.

Guest shai_hulud
you can run a stripped down GUI[/url] native on OS X anyways.

All right, I'm going to give it a shot. I want to see if running a simpler window manager will make a difference.

This laptop I'm on is really old. 1999 G3, 400 MhZ.

All right, I'm going to give it a shot. I want to see if running a simpler window manager will make a difference.

This laptop I'm on is really old. 1999 G3, 400 MhZ.

in that case you might see a difference. i dont remember if it was a hardware or software change that made most the bells and whistles get offloaded to the GPU. i'm going to assume it's done in software, but forgot.

Just last week I threw my Nano in a glass of water and stomped on it to cash in on my Best Buy warranty. I will never buy another iPod again. iTunes is the worst. iPods are great and all, real intuitive and all that jazz, but they sound like garbage and even worse with those look at me I got an ipod white ear buds.I bought a sony 4 gig flash, I need to hear the bass son.

fuck that. As soon as I bought the thing I threw those things in the garbage. I used it for a year. Flat out, the audio quality on Ipods just isn't there. For a while I even went back to using a cd player while I still had the thing. Everything just sounds flat. iRiver's sound amazing, but they're not built too well. They sound so good though. But Im sticking with sony.

fuck that. As soon as I bought the thing I threw those things in the garbage. I used it for a year. Flat out, the audio quality on Ipods just isn't there. For a while I even went back to using a cd player while I still had the thing. Everything just sounds flat. iRiver's sound amazing, but they're not built too well. They sound so good though. But Im sticking with sony.

idk i never found the sound quality on mp3 players to be any good. up until i got an ipod as a gift from work i used a cd player.

Mac would have went bankrupt in 1997 if it wasn't for the Microsoft investments.

Anyhow, the Ipod has really helped Mac in a huge way. They probably only break even on their computer sales.

had apple gone under, microsoft would have been destroyed by the bevy of anti-trust/monopoly lawsuits it was facing at the time. they needed apple to exist if they were to continue existing. it was not out of the kindness of their heart, but their own need to survive.

im too lazy to look up any other figures, but ipods only account for 16% of apples revenue. they are by no means simply 'breaking even' on their computers.

if you intend to continue being such a hater, please atleast come with something resembling facts, rather than spitting irrelivent drivel or fanciful nonsense.

k thnx bai.

I like my ipod nano, its very sleek. I mean the sound quality isnt the best, and it only holds 4 gigs but surprisingly the battery life is decent considering Ive had it for like 1-2 years. So anyone get a macbook air? It seems to me that apple released it just to show off, I dont really see it being a practical choice. It looks like you could break it easily by accident.

how does the hardware that holds your media have any affect on the sound reproduction? My first thought is that you have low quality mp3's or shitty earphones.

macbook air costs too much. i understand the super thin super small thing, but if they take out all the memory and disc drive and crap, whos gunna spend 200 dollars short of a pro and 800 more than a regular macbook, just to have a portable web browser. i got my pro im set. maybe ill get an itouch for the small web browser thing. they just came out with a 32 gig version which is what i was waiting for

Does anyone know when they are going to bring out a faster macmini?

Because Im thinking of buying one now, but I dont want to buy one and then 4 months down the track the new one gets released for the same price..

check out this site:

http://www.macrumors.com/

they got the hookup on whatever u need to know about macs, future or current. they also got a page for every consumer apple product with predictions on when the next update will be. the mac mini page says "Buy only if you need it. Approaching the end of a cycle" because the average update times almost over. theres a bunch of threads saying that there getting rid of it though so there probably wont ever be an update. id give it a month or two then get it before there gone if they dont say anything.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#Mac_mini

how does the hardware that holds your media have any affect on the sound reproduction? My first thought is that you have low quality mp3's or shitty earphones.

i agree with this for the most part. though i could see the dynamic range possibly being narrowed by hardware (especially headphones), i have a tough time believing that there's much difference in the sound between mp3 players when playing the same sound file. i think it has more to do with the EQ settings if so, and this is adjustable.

Maybe it's how you imported your music into ITunes. They have a bunch of different options which can affect sound quality. Usually the default compresses it. I've had a 30gb IPod for almost 2 years and have never had an issue. Some stuff sounds crappy...but it's just how it was imported.

i agree with this for the most part. though i could see the dynamic range possibly being narrowed by hardware (especially headphones), i have a tough time believing that there's much difference in the sound between mp3 players when playing the same sound file. i think it has more to do with the EQ settings if so, and this is adjustable.

its not the hardware that would effect it, its the software on the hardware running the songware...ware. why do u think some mp3 players cost 10 times more than others with the same size, its not just a brand name thing, although apple grabbed that pretty tight.