Knives

DM!

Right now I'm pretty consistent at throwing a 9 in knife from 3 yards with a blade grip. I havent been able to succesfully throw from the handle or different distance. I'm not quite sure how to adjust either of those. I just keep inching forward and back but I'm never consistent. Is there anything else I can do to add variety to my throwing?

Movies 2011

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Right now I'm pretty consistent at throwing a 9 in knife from 3 yards with a blade grip. I havent been able to succesfully throw from the handle or different distance. I'm not quite sure how to adjust either of those. I just keep inching forward and back but I'm never consistent. Is there anything else I can do to add variety to my throwing?

• 3 weeks later...

Also searching for straight razors with wooden handles...those things are the shit, even if I can't carry them around.

there are a bunch of websites out there that can make custom scales for your straight razor out of any kind of wood you want....i would get them made from cocobolo wood if i were you:

DOVO%20STRAIGHT%20RAZOR%20COCOBOLO%20WOOD%205851.png

^and its a dovo from solingen, germany too...so its a good blade.

they make scales (handles) out of anything...ive even seen some websites that sell straight razors with scales made from 40,000 year old mammoth tusks.

^Ya, I can feel how the liner lock on the Blur would not hold up to much abuse. But that's fine for me right now. My Leek has a frame lock on it and feels much more solid when the frame lock is popped fully under the blade. I have not heard this mentioned before regarding the Leeks (and possibly other frame locking Kershaws) but after the blade is deployed, the frame lock is only half way supporting the blade. But you can pop the lock fully under the blade with your finger for total support. When this is done the Leek feels much more solid. This could be mentioned in the Leek's manual but I didn't look at any of that. Have to wait and see about the Blur, feels great so far, lightening fast opening but wish I could have found the one below with the frame locking system:

DSCF0008.JPG

Have heard Kershaw has great customer service and often fully replace their knives, so not too worried about any problems.

How much was it?^^ also is kershaw better than spiderco? Don't know shit about knives but need one for edc. Something like the one you won with serrated section would be dope.

spiderco>kershaw

by far.

i have never met a spiderco i didn't like or atleast appreciate, and have heard of very few problems with them.

the thing w/ ebay knife auctions is to watch them for a week (watch the same knives ending on different days) and get a feel for them, the big sellers usually have 2 or 3 day intervals between them and you can see the flow of the price.

i had to quit following knives because even though you can get screaming deals its still a ton of money after the first 5 knives.

• Like 1

@username--no problem..even though your a juggalo, youre still an oontzer so ima help out with info.

@everyone else-- i was looking for spyderco balisongs...weren't they the company that got in trouble for shipping balisongs in the u.s. and had to pay some sort of fine?

also, i went into woodcraft (the store) and saw that they had spyderco stones for honing for sale...has anyone ever honed a blade with their stones? how are they?

nevermind on the first question...i googled it and was right:

In some U.S. states it is illegal to possess and/or carry such a knife in public. In certain jurisdictions, butterfly knives are categorized as a "gravity knife", "switchblade", or "dagger" although they are also occasionally outlawed by name ("butterfly knife"). The knife is illegal in California if blade length exceeds two inches. In a recent US Federal Court case, Spyderco, Inc. pleaded guilty and was fined $75,000 for sending butterfly knives through the United States Postal Service. Spyderco admitted that from June 2005 through January 2007, it had mailed butterfly knives, after importing the knife components from Taipei, Taiwan, through the Port of San Francisco and the Port of Oakland, to Golden, Colorado.

haven't used a spyderco brand stone, are they different than any other kind of stone?

were they whet stones or mineral oil types?

i use a good carbon steel for general upkeep and a tristone i got for 20 bucks at an asian shop.

according to the website:

Spyderco sharpening stones are ceramic stones but unlike man-made Japanese water or ceramic stones, Spyderco's stones require no lubrication of any kind.

• No oil
  • No water
  • No slurry
  • Best of all, no mess

The medium (brown) stones have a grain structure ideal for quick stock removal such as re-shaping a blade or removing nicks and because of this unique grain structure, will show wear over time or with heavy use.

The fine and ultra fine (white) stones do not wear at all and have a grain structure that excels polishing the edge of any steel.

Spyderco stones do not require any special maintenance such as flattening, simply an occasional cleaning with any powered cleanser is all that's needed to refresh the surface and keep these stones in top shape.

Bench Stones

• Spyderco bench stones are flat (guaranteed within .020) and broad (2" x 8").
  • Ideal for sharpening and polishing a wide variety of tools from chisels to plane blades.
  • Each stones comes packed in a rigid polymer case with rubber feet that protects the stone and provides a base for table top use.

link:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Family/2020254/Spyderco-Sharpening-Stones.aspx

is the tristone japanese?

• Like 1

there are tons of people that will hone them.....they charge around $15 to $20.

if you dont want to hone it yourself, i would definitely go with lynn abrams from straight razor designs/straight razor place

link:

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/razor-sharpening/razor-sharpening-service

i read somewhere that he has honed over 40,000 straight razors...dont know how accurate that is, but even 5,000 is a lot.

*edit

sorry...i came back and reread you posting about where to get stones and not honing services (chicken was in the oven so i read your post too fast)...

same website sells stones for honing straight razors:

http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/the-sharpening-center

also, this site:

http://thesuperiorshave.com/Coticules.html

the woodcraft stores also sell stones:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Category/1004026/Water-Stones.aspx

a lot of straight edge razor users swear by the norton stones...you can pick up a 4k/8k combo stone as well as some finer grit stones.

• 3 months later...

360530257_470.jpg

dont mean to interrupt the conversation... but dont buy this knife. if you get it as a gift, use it. its got nice weight to it (thing i liked the best about it) and holds a decent edge. but the screws holding the clip on fell off withing 48 hours. i was pissed

those stones on that site are professional tools, why would you even consider buying them unless its your livelyhood. i use my grandfathers lawn mower stone from before i was born and it does everything i need it too. theres no reason for all that fancy shit unless you are a chef or a butcher. then again i hate shaving so i hadent considered that want or need