Knives

DM!

This has been my daily carry knife for 3 years, I love it. Holds it's edge very well, and the spring

assisted blade is perfect for when the other hand is occupied. Basically a legal switchbade.

It's about time to get a new one though, and I'll either get another one of these, or a Spyderco.

Gerber%20Fast%20Draw%20Textured%20Nylon%20Handle.jpg

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

wow....some quality knives in this thread.

couldnt prop you for your post fist....must spread rep.

anyways, i thought i'd contribute:

DSC05104.jpg

left to right:

aluminum knuckles a homie i used to go bombin with gave me back in the day

cheap folding knife another homie gave me when i was in high school

can't remember where i got the third knife or when i got it

spring assisted milano stiletto (china) i bought at the flea market a couple months ago for $13

cheap crap, but oh well....i'd really like to buy some benchmade knives...theres a gun store here in town that carries them, i havent gone to check it out yet.

would love to get my hands on a nicer model balisong....maybe a BM-42.

also would like to buy a nice Ka-Bar.

buterfly knives/biiysang or whatever are silly. i have some buddies that swear their really cool and flashy like nunchucks but when it counts, the first person to get thier blade out is the one whos gonna get a trophy scar instead of a punctured lung. sfar as benchmades, thier defitly top of the line, but unless your gonna be using it as a high impact tool like it was intended your just wastin your hundreds of dollars. buck and gerber are prolly the best value for regular tasks. the smith and wesson 440s are good throw aways, as far as throwaway blades though for 30 bucks you can get a really nasty 12inch high carbon spear point vietnam era bayonett, they never relly used them in theater so thier just sittin around somewhere waitin to catch bodies. i wont tell you the specifics of where to look but thier out thier

cali, and i guess everyone.

i've been watching ebay for knives over the last couple weeks to get a feel for how things sell on there, and its pretty great. nearly every make and model is out there in some capacity, some very cool and very expensive, and some very cool and affordable. you can definitely come across benchmades at a good price, bucks and gerbers too. spyderco, ek, hk, boker, sog, case. my watch list for the last two weeks was around 300 items...

buck 119 and 195 and an undetermined spyderco are next on my to buy list.

buterfly knives/biiysang or whatever are silly. i have some buddies that swear their really cool and flashy like nunchucks but when it counts, the first person to get thier blade out is the one whos gonna get a trophy scar instead of a punctured lung.

i don't think this is necessarily true...i guess im looking at it more along the lines of a martial arts weapon anyways but when i get some balisongs, they wont even be leaving my house, because here in california, its a felony just to have them on you (although you can have them at home as a collectors item or to practice flipping).

the reason i don't agree with you is because in the Philippines, they are so skilled with balisongs that they can take them out of their pockets, flip them open, slice or stab you, flip them them shut, and put them away in a matter of a second or two...i read it in one of those paladin press books (i think it was maybe one of ragnar benson's books where he explained the history of balisong and how soldiers coming back from the spanish american brought them home)

**edit...

yup, i looked in my book pdfs and it was in ragnar benson's book "switchblade- the ace of blades"...chapter 7 is dedicated to butterfly knives.

cali, and i guess everyone.

i've been watching ebay for knives over the last couple weeks to get a feel for how things sell on there, and its pretty great. nearly every make and model is out there in some capacity, some very cool and very expensive, and some very cool and affordable. you can definitely come across benchmades at a good price, bucks and gerbers too. spyderco, ek, hk, boker, sog, case. my watch list for the last two weeks was around 300 items...

buck 119 and 195 and an undetermined spyderco are next on my to buy list.

yeah, i've seen some good knives on ebay as well....will probably pick up a buck knife or a kneck knife off of there, but as for balisongs, im afraid that people on ebay wont ship them out to california because its illegal to even ship them here...the laws here on knives really suck...i mean you can only carry a non-concealed folding knife with a 2-inch blade...so even the neck knife cant be worn under the shirt....even spyderco got slapped with a huge fine a while back for illegally shipping balisongs out here to cali.:o

*edit:

heres what wikipedia said about the fine spyderco got..

In some U.S. states it is illegal to possess and/or carry such a knife in public. In certain jurisdictions, butterfly knives are categorized as a "gravity knife", "switchblade", or "dagger" although they are also occasionally outlawed by name ("butterfly knife"). In a recent[when?] US Federal Court case, Spyderco, Inc. pleaded guilty and was fined $75,000 for sending butterfly knives through the United States Postal Service. Spyderco admitted that from June 2005 through January 2007, it had mailed butterfly knives, after importing the knife components from Taipei, Taiwan, through the Port of San Francisco and the Port of Oakland, to Golden, Colorado.[7]

• The knife is illegal to carry in California if blade length exceeds two inches as with other automatic knives, they are legal to own if kept in your home.[citation needed]

also, i took martial arts for 9 years and i remember back in the day, my martial arts teacher lent me a copy of this 80's vhs called "surviving edged weapons"..it was an instructional video for cops and prison guards about how to look for edged weapons (knives, razors, shanks, etc) and how to defend against them.

anyone know where i can get this full movie (maybe a torrent or better yet on rapidshare or mediafire)....everywhere i look online, i get this stupid techno version that is making fun of the movie, but the movie was actually pretty informative.

i've found used vhs copies of the movie selling for $100+....i just want to download it somewhere.

a look here might find that video

http://www.filestube.com/search.html?q=surviving+edged+weapons&select=All

looks like there are several choices, not sure if any of them are the techno one...

i forgot you were in cali for some reason, that does make it much more tough. make a friend with someone in nevada and order to their address and have a road trip...

cool, i'd like to see it.

western was a cool company that originated in what i call my hometown. i don't know specifically about the knife you have, but they don't seem to go for a ton of money, it might be worth hanging onto for another 10 years or so as the company only recently went under (07).

you can get cheap machetes at walmart...theyre only like $7...lol.

some guy in my city just got shot last week for charging at a cop with a machete...he died.

theres also a novelty store here called evangelines and they sell machetes in a sheath for like $7....so you can find them for very cheap.

• 4 weeks later...

You gotta go to Mexico to get the best machetes, the ones that bulb out a little at the end work really well.

Get a C-Clamp and a file for sharpening your machete, clamp the blade to a table or bench of some sort and go to work with a file, either bastard or seith.

I bought a little gerber throw away for work and am not happy. My brand loyalty with them is no more.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I lurk this thread a lot, thought i'd finally put up a few of mine. these are most of my worthwhile knives and a couple junk ones that were gifts or too cheap to pass up.

IMG_3851.jpg

There it is, Cold Steel SRK, my knife of choice. I've put mine through some serious shit and it's loved it. Heaps of guys used to get the Cold Steel Tanto, christ knows why the blade shape was useless for anything other than looking Japanese. Useless for broad slices, skinning and just about anything really.

6719929001_9f2f622ec7_z.jpg

srk by jiangtaixi, on Flickr

The Schrade Powertool was a pretty good buy as well. I've had both items for approx 15 years and whilst they have scars their utility is still 100%. I like the Schrade as the handle doesn't hurt your hand or pinch like the earlier model LEathermans and other choices and best of all you can squeeze the pliers as hard as you can and you won't damage or bend the tool.

Both were bought for utility purposes rather than carrying on the streets. Both tools were money very well spent.

hell yeah.

i love mine.

i don't use multi tools enough to be picky about them, if i need tools i just go get my toolbox... but i've actually had a good experience with my gerber multi tools. i have the the diesel, suspension, and the mp600 DET.

the suspension is nice because it was only 30 w/ a sheath and i've carried it for 4 years of army field problems and haven't broken it (and surprisingly haven't lost it).

• 1 month later...

03548047.jpg

Picked up these khukiris last year. Blade length is about 8 inches. Nice balance, especially when switching from standard to reverse grip...nice weight to them, and solid pommel. The longer machete is US Army issue 1949, the shorter bolo is Brazilian made. Picked up both of those at an old folks home tag sale. Old people have weird shit. Guy had an Army issue hatchet too, but didn't have enough loot to pick it up. Searching for a 15 inch khukiri pair, kinda like the ones Milla Jovovich had in Resident Evil.

Also searching for straight razors with wooden handles...those things are the shit, even if I can't carry them around.