running / jogging etc...

the_gooch

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My experience with treadmills are that they help you run but you definitly will not run as fast on the street. a 6 minute mile on a tread mill will not be a 6 minute mile on the street.

If you have a large stride in your run, then you are not actually running the whole distance on a treadmill, because at some point during you stride you have both feet off of the treadmill and the ground is still moving faster then it would be if you were on the street.

Overall I like them, because you still get your cardio in, but most people do not realize that when they go to the street, they will get tired faster.

I really do not have any experience on the elipticals.

Guest R@ndomH3ro

Elipticals suck, treadmills suck

Real Men run on roads...

I wear New Balances, they have been working for me. I run a lot of miles, so they are a hardcore shoe that stands up

Asics are good...so I have heard. Never really tried them cause with running shoes, if you find something that works. Its better to stick with it then to get a running injury.

Start off slow, cause getting hurt will seriously fuck up any future running

Sneaks 2 cents

i didnt read any of this thread

sorry. but. just get some music.

some of these.

shock1.jpg

take water. but dont drink it all. over hardly drink it.

sometimes when you run you just need to hydrate your mouth.

swish some around in your mouth and spit it out.

drink it every other time.

thats just some advice. oh and take protien while you run

some beef jerkey sticks are perfect for jogging

I've started paying attention to the nutritional facts on the back of foods. It's crazy how much shit you're eating and don't even realize it. I was eating bread that had 200 calories PER SLICE in it. That made a simple sandwich for lunch pushing near 500 calories. Considering I'm trying to live on 1000-1200 calories a day, that's like half my daily intake right there.

true...i have been eating less..but what is weird is all the people i know say you have to eat 6 small meals a day which allows your metabolism to continue working steadily...i am about to cop some of those supplemental bars to use as meal replacements too....i guess my supposed ideal weight is 215 to 220 or so....so i got a lot to do..one day at a time though, i ate well today and I am headed to the gym...keep up the good work

dude, what bread were you eating? bagels are usually around 300 calories for the whole thing... i try and maintain 3000 calories a day. but i'm retarded active and constantly trying to gain weight.

if you want a treadmill to be affective put it at the steepest grade and jog at about a 4/5 mph pace. (yes, its easy to do faster, but its a strain on your joints) this is good for building calf muscles and some of the quick-twitch muscles of your feet which will increase your speed.

be conscious of your stride when you run. extend far, but not to the point that its almost a jump, a long stride should still be a comfortable stride.

cilone touched on stretching. this is absolutely key to maintaining yourself and your ability to run. before you stretch do a light jog for a few minutes, ride a bike, do jumping jacks--basically get the blood flowing. stretching is far more affective when you have blood in your muscles. (stretching without any warmup doesn't really do anything but pull muscle fibers and can promote soreness, when those fibers are warm they stretch and allow maximum output, and afterwords growth which will in turn promote speed).

if you're running to lose weight don't stress on your time. focus on endurance. sprints turn that fat into muscle at a greater rate. (speed will come with time, once you're a mildly capable runner you can focus on speed, which is a whole different conversation)

shoes are important. i wear new balance. asics are some of the best shoes available. go to a running store--not foot action or the like--and talk to someone who knows running. the width and arch of your foot are as important as the actual size when it comes to comfort/function.

don't buy shoes based on color scheme or brand, buy based on what feels good on your feet. running with inappropriate shoes can promote shin splints and even stress fractures in your feet (with serious running and/or poor form).

when you run, swing your arms. do not hold them like a t-rex at your chest. this inhibits your lungs. i run with my fingers stretched out: don't make a fist when you run, inhibits blood flow, open up... let your lungs get the most air they can and let your blood take that air everywhere.

develop breathing patterns. i breathe on a 4 count though. L foot in, R foot in, L foot out, R foot rest, repeat. in through nose, out through mouth.

i'm sure spyd knows way more than i do.

Eat whole wheat wraps instead of sammiches. On average a tortilla has a few more calories but you only eat one so it ends up being less.

And yeah, what the hell kind of bread are you eating? I eat awesome honey wheat and it only has 80 calories per slice.

Ralphy, how tall are you?

im like 6'4" or 6'5" it trips me out when people tell me i should weigh 215 or 220 because im weighing in at 285 or so right now

goddamn i just google height weight chart and found this

small frame med. lrg.

5' 2" 128-134 131-141 138-150

5' 3" 130-136 133-143 140-153

5'' 4" 132-138 135-145 142-156

5' 5" 134-140 137-148 144-160

5' 6" 136-142 139-151 146-164

5' 7" 138-145 142-154 149-168

5' 8" 140-148 145-157 152-172

5' 9" 142-151 148-160 155-176

5' 10" 144-154 151-163 158-180

5' 11" 146-157 154-166 161-184

6' 0" 149-160 157-170 164-188

6' 1" 152-164 160-174 168-192

6' 2" 155-168 164-178 172-197

6' 3" 158-172 167-182 176-202

6' 4" 162-176 171-187 181-207

shit cant be right. i want to keep muscle not become some skinny fucker

under 15? damn.... i have quite a bit of work to do.

I've been on the bike lately.. mostly because my legs are going out before my lungs these days, which is odd.

ralphy, i'm right there w/ ya. we could be running partners and slap eachother on the as for encouragement, call eachother 'pal,' 'guy', and 'buddy.'

damn man.

i cannot max my run for anything. its fucking annoying. situps and push ups i get far over max. if i could max my run i'd be getting 340s. my focus for the whole winter is to improve my speed. i can run for 7 miles at a 7:30 pace (as of last week), my endurance is great. its my sprints that suck.

State winner in High School cross country 5k (3.1 miles) in oklahoma (4a schools): 16:15 - adam young.

dude is fast.

just thought i'd share that random fact.

anyways, some good ways to stay in your running routine, is to find someone to run with.

i've got it a little easier, since im in high school cross country, but still, you should try to find a running partner.

and fat ralphy, that chart is weird, im about 5'7", and i almost weigh 130.

i know im not malnourished or anything of that sort, and i couldn't gain weight if i wanted to.

i must have aids.

anywho, ive been wearing the nike air coos, on the pre lives line of nike i believe, and recently ive been wearing the nike 30-40s (seems more like track shoes to me, but they feel pretty good for when i run on trails or roads).

but ive also heard alot of good things about asics, but i dont have any experience with them.

anyways, good luck.

i used to have the mile down in 4:46. 800 M in 2:01. i don't go past the mile though.

wow. you were pretty good dude.

my mile pr aint too good nor is my 800, but theyll be up there this year.

i think my coaches mile was a 4:04?

somewhere around there.

running that fast has got to be one of the best feelings of accomplishment imaginable, in my opinion.

a senior at my school has his mile under 4:20. if you're in my area you've probably seen him in the papers a lot. he's about to win state this year, everyone can feel that shit. i don't know his 2 mile time, but no one on our team really fucks with anything longer than that anyway

i'm still on the fence about running track this year

3 43

that is crazy.

i really wonder how fast steve prefontaine wouldve ran the mile if he wouldve reached his prime.

rip pre...

i think my timed pr for last year (sophomore year...and im a year young if this will help my defense) was a 5:33...

i remember it hurting pretty bad.

trust me fist, once you break 6 you will feel like a champ even with the knowledge that the world record is 3:43.