Trapped Chinese minors survive off eating coal.

BEIJING (Reuters) - Two Chinese brothers who tunneled their way out of a coal mine collapse after being trapped for nearly six days survived by eating coal and drinking urine, a local newspaper reported on Tuesday.

ADVERTISEMENT

Brothers Meng Xianchen and Meng Xianyou became trapped while working at an illegal mine in Beijing's Fangshan District late on Saturday, August 18, the latest in a series of disasters to strike the world's deadliest coal mining industry.

Two days later, rescue efforts were called off and relatives began burning "ghost money" at the entrance of the mine for the dearly departed.

"At first there was no feeling, but then I was so hungry I couldn't crawl any more," Xianchen told the Beijing News. "I got so hungry, I ate a piece of coal, and I thought it quite fragrant.

"Actually, coal is bitter and unsmooth but you can chew up pieces the size of a finger. In the mine, we picked up two discarded water bottles, and drank our urine. You can only take small sips, and when you've finished, you just want to cry."

He said because they were eating coal, and were in the mine for nearly six days, they did not defecate.

"We were only able to do that the day before yesterday in hospital. It was full of coal."

Both said they would not go back into mining.

But their younger brother, Meng Xianjun, who has a decade of experience in the mines, cut in to the interview to add: "I'll still do it."

Chinese mine owners regularly flout safety regulations to meet insatiable demand for a fuel powering the country's booming economy.

A gas explosion in an Inner Mongolian mine that was operating illegally killed seven people on Saturday, as officials began handing compensation to families of 181 miners trapped and presumed dead after a flood last week in eastern China.

But in a second miraculous rescue, four builders trapped more than a week ago inside a collapsed tunnel at a hydropower project in the southwestern province of Yunnan were pulled out alive early on Tuesday, Xinhua news agency reported.

Rescuers in Yunnan's Yingjiang County dug an extra passage to reach the workers and used a ventilation pipe to carry food and drinking water to the four, who were being treated in a local hospital following their rescue.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

I think Chinese people will eat just about anything when they need to, when I was in Japan for a month, the News would constantly run this story about these poor Chinese folks that used cardboard as meat substitute and how when cooked properly it actually tastes just like meat.

when my homie o'd they gave him carcoal to drink and he said he puked for hours, wouldn't straight coak to the same?

yeah....thats how they do it in the emergency room...

liquid coal is porous, and the drugs bind to the porousness and come out....

but eating straight coal would come out too...but out of the shitter.

what ever happened to those American miners who got trapped...didnt the rescuers give up

*edit..yeah i was right...fuck being a miner

Officials at the Crandall Canyon Mine in Utah said Sunday that six miners trapped for nearly two weeks may never be found. The pessimistic tone follows new information from a fourth hole drilled down into the mine that indicated there wasn't enough oxygen present to sustain life.

Officials at the Crandall Canyon Mine in Utah on Sunday conceded that six miners trapped for nearly two weeks may never be found.

"It's likely these miners may not be found," Murray Energy Corporation Vice President Rob Moore said at a news conference Sunday.

The six men have not been heard from since the Crandall Canyon Mine collapsed on Aug. 6. Tunneling efforts to find the miners were halted after part of the mine collapsed on Thursday, killing three rescue workers. In the wake of that accident, those leading the rescue say it may not be safe for anyone to go back in to continue the search.

The pessimistic tone follows new information gained from a fourth hole that was drilled down into the mine. A camera showed the area was partially collapsed, and air readings indicated there wasn't enough oxygen present to sustain life.

Moore says that his company intends to re-open other areas of the mine where coal reserves exist. Family members responded to the news with emotions ranging from frustration to anger.

Despite the faded hopes, rescuers still plan to drill a fifth hole into another part of the mine.