post your meals photo superpooperthread!!

alure

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Kitchen Mailbox: Turkey Devonshire Sandwich still a classic Pittsburgh original

Thursday, February 15, 2001

By Arlene Burnett, Post-Gazette Staff Writer

Pittsburghers have been dining on Devonshire sandwiches (and its variations) since 1934. That's when the creator of the Devonshire, Frank Blandi, opened his first restaurant, The Stratford, at Millvale and Centre avenues in Shadyside. The sandwich was such a success Blandi began making the sauce in five-gallon batches. The many variations of the Devonshire are crab, shrimp, chicken, tomato and asparagus -- the sauce may vary, too.

The original Devonshire is composed of crisp bacon and slices of turkey placed on a single piece of toast and then covered with a rich creamy cheese sauce. It should be served bubbling hot from the oven.

Frank Blandi's Original Devonshire Sandwich

Cream Sauce:

3/4 stick butter, melted

1 cup flour

1/4 pound Cheddar cheese, grated

1 pint chicken broth

1 pint hot milk

1 teaspoon salt

Melt butter in deep pan and add flour, stirring constantly. Add chicken broth and then hot milk, stirring all the while. Add cheese and salt. Bring to boil, then cook slowly for 20 minutes, still stirring. Cool to lukewarm. Beat with wire whip until smooth before using. This makes enough sauce for 6 Devonshire sandwiches.

For each sandwich:

1 slice toast, crusts trimmed off

3 slices crisp bacon

5 thin slices cooked turkey breast

Cream Sauce, recipe above

Melted butter

Parmesan cheese and paprika

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

In each flat, individual oven-proof casserole dish, place 1 slice of toast and top with 3 slices bacon. Add 5 thin slices of cooked turkey breast. Cover completely with cream sauce. Sprinkle with a little melted butter, then with the combined Parmesan cheese and paprika. Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until golden brown.

(i put ham in mine as well)

• Like 1

Here's the meal that I made for my fiancee's mom's birthday. lemon pepper linguine, tomato alfredo sauce, baked homemade california vegetables and turkey sausage.

61599_529926772349_200802226_31107081_2560427_n.jpg

here's the dinner from the night before that i made for my brother, sister and their significant others. manicotti, roasted red pepper and basil homemade sauce and fired eggplant.

60313_529926787319_200802226_31107082_715175_n.jpg

aaaaaand, here's another one i made for my fiancee's brothers and sisters. homemade gnocchi with a rosemary bechemel sauce, grilled asparagus, topped with a fried egg and italian sausage.

59296_529214594559_200802226_31086979_7422094_n.jpg

• Like 1

Matching beer w/ food; went to a cool spot that does these matching plates, cheap but good.

Seafood taster//

/ Clam, fennel and Summer Weiss chowder with snipped chives - Honey Ale

/ Queensland spanner crab cakes with wasabi aioli and pickled ginger - Kristallweizen

/ Black mussel and dill souffle with tomato confit and chive baton - Organic Pale Ale

/ Pan seared scallop with saffron cream and puff pastry - Irish Red Ale

SeafoodTasteTray.jpg

Meat taster//

/ Prosciutto, bocconcini and baby rocquette salad - Bitter

/ Chicken and shitake mushroom croquette with tomato confit - Organic Pale Ale

/ Pork, duck and walnut terrine with pickled eggplant - Irish Red Ale

/ Baltic Porter and Swiss brown mushroom moussakka - Oatmeal Stout

MeatTasteTray.jpg

5018828307_6336bd9cb2.jpg

Yesterday's Breakfast-hotdog. (I got up at like 11 o'clock).

5019433316_09f9a62777.jpg

Lunch.

5018828633_8dd57d2165.jpg

Dinner-Teriyaki chicken w/ garden fresh sauteed onion, garlic, and bell peppers, bacon topped scalloped potatoes, and sourdough toast.

5018828523_810150dff1.jpg

Dessert-homemade pumpkin cheesecake w/fresh whipped cream.

5019433596_e13a6e1bc7.jpg

Today's breakfast, lunch, and dinner...I'm hungover. Meatloaf w/ ketchup & sriracha, garden fresh baked zucchini, and salad w/ bacon and croutons.

Now who's doing the dishes.

• Like 1

Went to a pretty famous spot for lunch. Known for making simple food taste awesome. The shots aren't fantastic, there was a line down the street to even get a table for lunch on a Friday. Not a regular sight for me.

BothMealsBills.jpg

ChickenSchnitty.jpg

Chicken Schnitzel/ red salad//

WagyuBeefBurgerPicklesVeget.jpg

Wagyu beef burger/ beetroot tomato relish/ pickled zucchini/ Heidi Gruyere cheese//

BananaRicottaHotcakes.jpg

Ricotta hot cakes with banana and honeycomb butter (this is a signature dish so to speak)

Food was awesome, really cheap too.

• Like 1

That was at RedOak Brewhouse in Sydney mate. Perth is still a couple of shots behind the eight ball when it comes to recognising that beer is just a good of a match for food as wine is.

Mmm i didn't think there were venues like that in Perth. It's an idea i've heard a few brewers talking about but seeing it in those photos really makes me wish they pushed the idea.

Probably won't take off here until the culture of craft brewing develops more.

Oh i have, i even worked for a pub that owned colonial brewery in margaret river. they had award winning beer that had to be drunk within a month of brewing, batches changed flavour all the time as they were still being tinkered with. about as craft as you can get, still they are one small example. the whole scene needs to grow more.

should probably post for dinner flicks considering the point of the thread, so;

double smoked sirloin and bbq beef ribs

5021959495_ef98d84941.jpg

[/url]

rib eye

5021958339_3a94ce305b.jpg

Beautiful meal mate. Nice meat.

Colonial was doing hot ferments and could not keep up with the Royal. The Royal is owned by the Colonial team, not the other way around. They bought into it a fair few years ago, the problem was they couldn't keep up with the demand at the Royal so it fell apart, also, when the head brewer D*** left, the quality did too. The shit they had on tap and keg at the Royal was nowhere near what the awards were won for, and shit that turned in less than a month is just bad brewing.

Long story short, don't go to Colonial. Hit a real ale pub in the south instead.

I got some food flicks on the cook. Bare with.

Beautiful meal mate. Nice meat.

Colonial was doing hot ferments and could not keep up with the Royal. The Royal is owned by the Colonial team, not the other way around. They bought into it a fair few years ago, the problem was they couldn't keep up with the demand at the Royal so it fell apart, also, when the head brewer D*** left, the quality did too. The shit they had on tap and keg at the Royal was nowhere near what the awards were won for, and shit that turned in less than a month is just bad brewing.

Long story short, don't go to Colonial. Hit a real ale pub in the south instead.

I got some food flicks on the cook. Bare with.

How long ago was this? I was with them from october last year up until recently, at the time that was their pinnacle, then they expanded the brew shed but expedited the work to gage roads (did not work well) while construction went ahead, that was the only time i knew their quality to really drop off. could have been a bit before that though? although the award was won in 09 and i got there at the end of that year.

As of now CLG own the brewery, the raffles, the royal and 8 venues in VIC and they manage to supply both pubs fully (although i used to have to set aside kegs to be taken between the two venues pretty often).

And please, be specific, i know there are several micro-breweries south of me that i know very little about.