the office

DETO

the office.  

49 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

a while back i picked up season one of the office on dvd, and really liked it. (i had never seen any episode of the office, us or uk edition prior to this purchase.) so when the second season came out on dvd a few weeks back, i picked it up. so now, i'm up to speed and am watching the third season as it's happening. really, good and funny show. i'm thinking about picking up the origional series on dvd, i have seen a few episodes on pbs and liked it, but to me it wasn't as good as the newer us version. imo.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

See this is a silly place to ask this question. First of all, UK humor doesn't translate to US very well. So all the people from the UK are going to see the US version and think it sucks. Plus of course all the foreigners are going to come on here and rant and rave about their shit. Fact is, they're two different shows based on the same premise.

I've seen both, I like the US version better, Steve cracks me up.

They're both great.

The UK version is much crueler, you can't stop squirming in your seat throughout the whole episode, and there is little to no redemption for characters who get themselves into terrible situations. The American one seems a little sunnier, a little bit more hopeful, if you will.

I'd rather watch the UK version if given a choice. It just feels a lot more unique, original, and unrestrained. The US version is fantastic and funny on it's own merit, it just doesn't stand out as anything new the same way something like, say, Curb Your Enthusiasm does.

Having only seen the first episode of the American one, I have to uncategorically cast my vote for the British version.

However, even people I know that swore by the original say the US one is now hilarious. I have yet to actually see it for myself, but I doubt it can be anywhere close to Gervais one.

PS- Has anyone seen his other show Extras? I'm waiting and waiting for it to come on over here...

• 4 months later...