<<< 12Oz Computer Tech Support SuperThread >>>

Mainter

• 1 month later...
This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

finals week (last week) i was running the fuck outta my computer for example id be running

avid, after effects, photoshop, and premiere almost always all at once. eventually rendering was non existant so i had to shut it down and work off the schools computers.

since then certain programs like premiere wont open and my computer is using at least 42% of ram with nothing open, i tried a couple ram optimizers but one wouldnt open and the other didnt do shit.

does anybody have any ideas whats up or any leads for a fix?

windows 7 64bt

thanks

-pb

** I will be more than happy to provide more info if requested.

No. Not fucked at all actually. Its gonna be alot easier to just format the fucking thing than trying to troubleshoot the memory leak or whatever bullshit is causing the problem. Windows 7 is super easy to reinstall it even (usually) gets all the drivers for you. 2 hours backing up and reinstalling is way better than days/weeks/months of troubleshooting and frustration. If you had Windows XP I wouldnt be so quick to reinstall cause it can be a pain in the ass gettin drivers and shit.

• Like 1

I want to set up a file server. Hide it behind this Juniper netscreen I picked up and VPN home from my laptop. Keep documents, presentations, files and other media on there. I realize that I need a static IP. Called my ISP to see if I could pick one up for cheap ($5 or $10 a month) and add it to my current service package. I was informed that I need a separate commercial hookup that costs $70 per month which would be in addition to the $100 or thereabouts i already pay for phone/TV/Interwebs. Its a bill/contract I'm not sure i want to commit to.

Right now i have a dynamic IP. Anyone know of a workaround? I was going to call em back to see if maybe they could just dedicate my IP to me. I would pay extra for that but 70 a month isn't whats up. I mean... All they would have to do is enter a few commands right? Whats the big deal? Im not trying to act like a biz. Just want to be able to get to my stuff at home. There are some advantages in that.

70 a year is more like it. Thx much. Not sure I understand how it works.

Have u used it?

70$ a year? No no no.... Logmein is free for personal use. I use it all the time for remotely repairing PC's. Just sign up for a free account install the client on your file server and log into it whenever you need to. Its pretty straight forward and since its free just testdrive the shit and see if it will work for you.

@bed framed: what exactly do you mean when you say wont come on? Does it literally do nothing when you push the power button? If so have you tried plugging into a different power outlet? Is there a light on the AC adaptor? Could just be lack of power. Not trying to sound like a dick. Just want to rule out the easy stuff first.

Edit:NBB is probably right.

Its gonna be damn near impossible to properly diagnose it via a forum. It is more than likely (as NBB stated) your Motherboard. Your best bet is to take it to a shop with free diagnosis. Whatever they tell you is wrong with it dont pay em to fix it. Note what they say is wrong with it take it home and call every shop in town and ask them how much to fix the problem you got diagnosed for free. Take it to get repaired at the best price. If they say motherboard (or if its more than 3 years old) it aint gonna be worth fixin. If it is your motherboard, buy a cheap notebook harddrive enclosure (http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=notebook+hard+drive+enclosure&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=12424760963443247229&sa=X&ei=SvJnTqDgLsuftgfOreWRDQ&ved=0CJABEPMCMAE) insert your old harddrive and copy your data to your new computer (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Inspiron+Laptop+/+AMD+Athlon%26%23153%3B+II+X2+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+320GB+Hard+Drive+-+Obsidian+Black/2560082.p?id=1218335741659&skuId=2560082) or (good prices here http://www.geeks.com/products.asp?cat=NBB)

wish i could help more.............

question.

Want to preserve my media.

I know that DVDs degrade

I have everything backed up on DVD and to an external HD.

This may be a dumb question but If i were to just put them away

and 20 years from now take em back out shouldnt they still work perfect?

If they had been unused

dark dry place for storage on dvds 15 yrs max that i would trust_ hard drives can go at anytime never trust i would on the other hand think about remote storage like online backup ( that would be the best option )

http://www.audioholics.com/education/audio-formats-technology/cd-and-dvd-longevity-how-long-will-they-last

Handle discs by the outer edge or the center hole

Use a non solvent-based felt-tip permanent marker to mark the label side of the disc

Keep dirt or other foreign matter from the disc

Store discs upright (book style) in original jewel cases that are specified for CDs and DVDs

Return discs to their jewel cases immediately after use

Leave discs in their spindle or jewel case to minimize the effects of environmental changes

Remove the shrink wrap only when you are ready to record data on the disc

Store in a cool, dry, dark environment in which the air is clean -- relative humidity should be in the range 20% - 50% (RH) and temperature should be in the range 4°C - 20°C

Remove dirt, foreign material, fingerprints, smudges, and liquids by wiping with a clean cotton fabric in a straight line from the center of the disc toward the outer edge

Use deionized (best), distilled or soft tap water to clean your discs. For tough problems use diluted dish detergent or rubbing alcohol. Rinse and dry thoroughly with a lint-free cloth or photo lens tissue

Check the disc surface before recording

• Like 1

While we have a hope of getting a linux nerd in here...

I am having a prick of a time trying to install a cracked version of Vuescan. I have never installed a cracked program or cracked an installed program before (since switching to ubuntu 5 years ago) as everything is usually free/open for linux.

Any recent version of vuescan is acceptable, obviously the newer the better. I am running Ubuntu 11.04.

I have downloaded a couple already but they dont want to extract properly or run in linux...

Any help/advice would be super appreciated.

Alright, I have a problem.

I now use UBuntu 11.04 as my sole OS, but I have a problem.

I can't connect via Wifi. It shows the connections and lets me connect, but it never goes through...

It might be the adapter, but Ubuntu is generally on top of things like that. I use Mint and haven't had any wifi issues.

skull, I don't know. I only use open source stuff...look for something comparable to vuescan (whatever that is).

So now that I've answered a question, I need to ask one-

How do I block or redirect specific URLs (namely Youtube) on a public Linux box? I've been helping out with the computers at an infoshop, and certain people don't understand that the computers are there to check email and not for entertainment purposes. Oh, and I also need to know how to bypass this.

I'm pretty sure it has something to do with adding the IP you want to block to the hostlist then redirecting it to loopback or something like Meatspin.

Thanks!

I think I'm in some need of help because I believe I just fried my CPU yesterday. Was playing battlefield and computer just powered off. The LED light on the front of the case near the power/reset buttons is just blinking, not doing anything when I push the power buttons. Any ideas? Assuming this rig cant be fixed, I need to build another budget pc. It has been a while since I put one together.. What would be considered a good GPU these days? I have an 8800 which was mad expensive and the best when I built my last pc, but I'm sure there is something much better. I want to be able to play BF3 comfortably. Please and thanks for the help.