12oz scotch drinkers

Æ°

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by bathoræ@Apr 21 2005, 09:40 PM

but while we're here, anyone want to explain to me the difference between scotch, whiskey, and bourbon?

American blended whiskey must be at least 20% straight whiskey. Bulked out with neutral grain spirit, sherry can be added for colour. If it contains 51% or more of the appropriate straight whiskey, it can be designated as blended bourbon or blended rye.

Australian whiskey is made from barley, maize and millet. Australian malt whiskey must be 100% barley malt, and must be aged for at least two years. Australian blended whiskey must be 25% or more malt, and also be aged for at least two years. Most Australian whiskey drinkers opt for Scotch or bourbon.

Bonded whiskey, or bottled in bond, is a whiskey produced in the USA aged under government supervision. Must be 100 proof, and aged for at least four years, and is produced from a single distillation.

Bourbon is produced in the USA, and must be distilled from a mash containing 51-79% maize (corn). It must be aged a minimum of two years. It must be distilled to no more than 80% alcohol. If it is younger than four years, this must be stated on the bottle. Bourbon is usually double-distilled, to about 65% alcohol. The mash is often over 75% maize, with the remainder being malted barley and rye. All bourbons today are sour mash bourbons.

Canadian whisky must be aged for a minimum of three years, and can be made from rye, maize and barley or barley malt. Most Canadian whiskies are blends with a very high content of neutral spirit. Up to 2% by volume can be added flavourings, such as sherry, plum wine, etc.

Corn whiskey is US whiskey distilled from 80% or more maize. The legal version of moonshine.

De Luxe whisky - some blends are described as "De Luxe"; currently all De Luxe Scotch is at least 35% malt whisky, but this is not required, and in any case, is sometimes exceeded by non-de luxe blends.

Irish whiskey is made in Ireland, aged for a minimum of three years. Most Irish whiskies are blends, Irish malts are usually unpeated.

Malt whisk(e)y is distilled from barley malt. A large number of malt whiskies are made in Scotland, others in other countries, such as Japan, New Zealand and Germany.

Rye whiskey is distilled from a mash containing at least 51% rye.

Scotch whisky is distilled in Scotland, and aged a minumum of three years. Scotch can be either malt or grain whisky; the overwhelming majority of Scotch sold is a blend of both. Some blends have caramel added to colour them. Most Scotch is double-distilled. Scottish malts are often heavily flavoured with peat smoke.

Sour mash whiskey is made by adding some of the previous batch to the new mash. All bourbons and Tennessee whiskeys today are sour mash whiskeys.

Straight Whiskey is pure whiskey, undiluted by neutral spirit or other flavourings. In the USA, straight whiskey must be aged in charred barrels.

Tennessee whiskey is similar to bourbon, with same 51-79% corn mash, minimum of two years aging. However, it is also charcoal filtered, or charcoal mellowed by the Lincoln County process, adding extra flavour and smoothness.

Guest imported_Tesseract

how the fuck did i lose this thread?!

Anyway, i'm officially in the gin+tonic (strictly bombay or tanqueray)

season, but during fall/winter i only drink whiskey.

At home i drink this:

dimple.jpg

or black johnny.

When i'm out i always drink johnny red

haha man I drank some of that economy gut buster vodka shit the other day one of them $12 1.75 liter jobs. Jeez, talk about a fucking headache. But then again I like to make my vodka cranberrie's in a tall glass by filling the glass up half way with liquor and then throwing enough ice cubes in it to leave just enough room for a splash of cranberry.... that could be it too. :I

Originally posted by CACashRefund@Apr 24 2005, 08:50 PM

What ever happened to drinking a gallon of vodka you buy for 6 dollars at the local corner store?

You guys are too good for that?

Can't handle the rubbing alcohol taste?

Huh?

this is what a couple friends and i do.

wander into the forest with a handle and get fucking smashed

if it's 3 people it only costs 2 or 3 bucks to get fucked up

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Æ°@Apr 24 2005, 01:59 AM

I don't know where the hell I am but The Mighty Might Bosstones are on the stereo and it's all so fitting.

And Jameson is close enough bitches.

...and for the past 2 minutes i've been trying to figure out where/when the hell i posted this ^^

I honestly can't make a distinction between any weekend from the past month or two, the warm weather has put me in a mood.

Originally posted by Mr. ABC+Apr 22 2005, 06:26 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr. ABC - Apr 22 2005, 06:26 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-SWIMS@Apr 22 2005, 02:23 PM

-might be expensive, only seen it at work

when it comes to drinking (properly), money should be no object.

if it is, you're an amateur

[/b]

ameteur hah! I live in the bastion of alcoholism in the US. I firmly agree with you, but in reference to purchasing drinks in publc settings, especialy a high class resteraunt, price factors in on the decision. The glass of thirty dollar scotch may only cost 80 a bottle in the store. here is a few that are a good bang for their buck-

+Appelton estates rum, especialy the reserve

+Flor de Cana, blue 12 and gold 21 are excellente but it is best to buyy it out of the country-25 buucks in nicaragua 100 in Miami.

+Walker all around black in public, blue in private

+Stolichnya vodka, modest but quality.

+whatever I watched 200 people chug tequila in different forms for hours yesterday, drunks can be entertaining sometimes.

-the other end

-One Barrel cane rum from belize, 6$ a fifth and it tastes like butterscotch. So much sugar your head will crack the next day but.

-Kenya King vodka/Gin clear liquid in a plastic bag-put some hair on your chest. true firewater. I think think this is prtetty close to rotgut shit, any experience?

-Country Club vodka, distilled in E. Stlouis or there about. 5-6$ a fifth.

I wanted to edit the post above but it would not let me. Nonsense, Didn't even mention anything about scotch.

True when drinking money should not be the issue. scotch is one of the best chioces especialy to drink straight up.

• 1 month later...

I don't know how much it sold for, but supposedly this is the most expensive scotch on the planet.

25 th February 2005

DISTILLERY WAVES GOODBYE TO LAST BOTTLE OF THE WORLD’S OLDEST SINGLE MALT WHISKY

Hong Kong Airport snaps up remaining Glenfiddich Rare Collection 1937

Workers at the independent, family-owned Glenfiddich Distillery bade a fond

farewell to the last bottle of Glenfiddich® Rare Collection 1937 to leave the

distillery as it made its way to Hong Kong to be sold at the city’s stunning

Chep Lap Kok Airport, a major gateway for international travellers.

Glenfiddich Rare Collection 1937 (aged 64 years) is the oldest single malt ever to be

bottled. Released in 2001 by William Grant & Sons, there were just 61 original bottles

produced from a single cask.

Commenting on the departure of Glenfiddich’s oldest son, Malt Master, David

Stewart, said: “There are a lot of mixed emotions here today. On the one hand, we’re

extremely proud of having produced a whisky of such fantastic quality that’s stood

the test of time and on the other there’s a tinge of sadness at saying goodbye. Having

said that, this batch of six bottles is in the right shop window for finding good homes

to go to.”

Mr. Baker Salleh, CEO of Sky Connection Ltd added: "We are committed to having

the world's best at our FREE DUTY shops and we are indeed honoured that William

Grant & Sons agreed to part with their rarest and finest whisky so we can showcase it

to international travellers at Hong Kong International Airport."

This true classic started life one summer’s day in 1937 when oak cask 843, handmade

by distillery coopers, was filled with spirit from the stills at The Glenfiddich Distillery

in Dufftown, Scotland, and laid down in a dunnage warehouse to mature.

Normally whiskies that reach this great age are either long past their best or have lost

their strength. However, this whisky is exceptional having matured slowly, allowing

it to develop a distinctive character. With its wonderful toffee caramel and cinnamon.

As for me, I'm on the other end of the glenfiddich spectrum, 12yr single.