Beginning Bible for Graffiti Writers

why write?

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

WHATS UP. YA'LL SEEM LIKE A SMART ENOUGH KIDS...YOU WANT MY

ADVICE? -HERE IT IS...

#1 -ACTION ALLWAYS SPEAKS 1000 TIMES LOUDER THAT WORDS, YOU WANT

PEOPLE TO NOTICE, AND RESPECT YOU? -KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED, AND

JUST DO YOUR THING.

#2 -DONT HANG OUT WITH LAMES...LOUD MOUTH, IGNORANT IDIOTS WILL

ONLY ATTRACT MORE OF THE SAME...

#3 -DONT BITE, SURE PART OF GRAFFITI IS THE HANDED DOWN TRADITION

OF STYLE, I WOULD BE NOTHING WITH OUT THE PEOPLE THAT INFLUENCED

ME, BUT STRAIGHT UP BITING IS WACK.

#4 -A THROWUP GOES OVER A TAG, A PIECE GOES OVER A THROWUP...UNLESS

THAT PERSON YOU ARE GOING OVER IS DEAD, OR THE SPOT IS A LONG

RUNNING LANDMARK, OR SOMEBODY WHO DESERVES ENOUGH RESPECT THAT

THESE RULES ARE VOIDED, THATS THE WAY IT GOES.

#5 -NEVER GO OVER, DISS, CROSS-OUT, OR WHATEVER, SOMEBODY WHO YOU

ARE NOT PREPARED TO GO TOE TO TOE WITH AND GET DOWN FOR YOURS...

#6 -NEVER SNITCH!!! -KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

#7 -YOU WANT TO BE A GOOD WRITER? -ALWAYS REMEMBER STYLE IS OF THE

UTMOST PRIORITY! -FROM A TAG, TO A THROWUP, STRAIGHT -LETTER,

WILDSTYLE PIECE...IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT, DO IT WITH STYLE...

::::If police arrest you for painting:

- never say anything, dont say that you did it or did not do it...just keep your mouth shut

- tell them you will not speak until you have a lawyer present

- never rat out your buddies

- dont fall for their phony tricks "oh we will let you go if you just tell us who does it and blah blah blah", it is just a trick to mess with your head to get information out of you

I completely agree with all of your points. This is a very worth while and also mainly common sense thread.

If you get caught, depending on the country you are in, you can face a range of penalties, and even Jail Time, like Australia. The moral of this post is "Dont Get Caught" :scrambled:

Another thing. "Don't write if your under the influence of anything. I'm sure alot of people have, and know what its like afterwards. This will generally make things twice as bad if you do get caught"

• 3 weeks later...

-Learn simple letters and gain ideas of styles by looking at Graff not the internet.Seeing Graff in the flesh will show you imperfections but will also show you qualities that make pieces unique!

you'll notice how some Graff while not being the sort of bubbly styles you may see on here look sort of "timeless" how it looks like it would have been fresh years ago and how it'll be fresh in years to come. This is true style and very few people have it and it's what you have to work towards.

you can't rock a burner first time. work your way up

it's always good to try something new but don't take shortcuts as far as style is concerned.

Paint with a sketch at first-no matter how many times you say you're going to freestyle something your hand will always draw what it is used to.

Once you drawn you're first outline grab another scrap can and re do it to tighten it up! (obviously not on a train or down in some hot spot but if you have time it is invaluable)

Instead of doing cutback fills where you are cutting over your self to make your fills all crispy try painting them deliberately so you'll get better can control and also you'll have better ideas of what you can and can't do.

learn to paint with crappy paint first for the can control as said in the first post of this thread.

be respectful and have fun!

that's the most important bit!

WHATS UP. YA'LL SEEM LIKE A SMART ENOUGH KIDS...YOU WANT MY

ADVICE? -HERE IT IS...

#1 -ACTION ALLWAYS SPEAKS 1000 TIMES LOUDER THAT WORDS, YOU WANT

PEOPLE TO NOTICE, AND RESPECT YOU? -KEEP YOUR MOUTH CLOSED, AND

JUST DO YOUR THING.

#2 -DONT HANG OUT WITH LAMES...LOUD MOUTH, IGNORANT IDIOTS WILL

ONLY ATTRACT MORE OF THE SAME...

#3 -DONT BITE, SURE PART OF GRAFFITI IS THE HANDED DOWN TRADITION

OF STYLE, I WOULD BE NOTHING WITH OUT THE PEOPLE THAT INFLUENCED

ME, BUT STRAIGHT UP BITING IS WACK.

#4 -A THROWUP GOES OVER A TAG, A PIECE GOES OVER A THROWUP...UNLESS

THAT PERSON YOU ARE GOING OVER IS DEAD, OR THE SPOT IS A LONG

RUNNING LANDMARK, OR SOMEBODY WHO DESERVES ENOUGH RESPECT THAT

THESE RULES ARE VOIDED, THATS THE WAY IT GOES.

#5 -NEVER GO OVER, DISS, CROSS-OUT, OR WHATEVER, SOMEBODY WHO YOU

ARE NOT PREPARED TO GO TOE TO TOE WITH AND GET DOWN FOR YOURS...

#6 -NEVER SNITCH!!! -KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

#7 -YOU WANT TO BE A GOOD WRITER? -ALWAYS REMEMBER STYLE IS OF THE

UTMOST PRIORITY! -FROM A TAG, TO A THROWUP, STRAIGHT -LETTER,

WILDSTYLE PIECE...IF YOU ARE GOING TO DO IT, DO IT WITH STYLE...

I almost agree, only this is my re-do of this all.

#6=#1

#2-stays

#3-stays

#7=#4

And thats pretty much it. Tweak that shit, son.

here's my take on biting:

when you are just starting out, bite everything you see.

wha? did he just say that?

yes... and no. 'BITE' every piece of graffiti you can find into

your sketch book. Learn what makes a piece work by recreating

it for yourself. Dont trace the work, dont tell anyone it's yours,

and DONT DARE paint what you've copied. Mess around in your book

for as long as it takes to make something that is a collection of everything you've learned.

Then, buy a new sketch book and ONLY draw what you can make up on your own.

Just like with the classic arts, you are expected to do what other people have already done.

Once you master the basics, then you can innovate and do something unique.

DONT for a second even think you can pass off Cubism as your own creation,

so why would you think you can pass off 1990-era wildstyles as something you created.

good words there. never claim someones art for your own but check it out and learn the techniques. putting everything you see in a book gives you the chance to get better at sharpening edges, changing color, all that good stuff.

wear fitted clothes, u don't want to trip over yourself.

WORD. One thing I can't stand are kids who wear the most rediculous baggy shit and find themselves in a situation where they have to run. Fact is you can't run very fast when your pants are at your knees and the only thing holding them up is your hand.

Oh SHIT! what do you know....your mouth is wraped around a fat juicy railraod tie with cookies, the flesh eating attack dog, on you like a ternader full o' whiskey.

Kids who do that are straight toy, and think going out bombing is relative to a fasion show...

My advice...on clothing

-ALWAYS wear fitted cloths. Make sure your body can strech and move/nothing that could slow you down when running.

-Wear black

-athletic shoes, or anything that doesnt flop

-nothing that jingles, like keys or pocket change. Anything to keep noise at a minimum. It pays off to be ninja-like.

It'd be good if you guys could take the best bits of advice from this thread and collated them into one locked sticky, or possibly put them all in the first post, as it stands, this thread is a mess of both good and bad advice.

I'm a toy, sure, but I like to think I'm relatively sensible. I'm doing my research before I make any moves, I could really do without being caught. To me it's not about the illegality, it's that I want to paint, I'm an artist. Sure, I want to be up, but if I could be up legally, that'd be just as good.

No, that's vandalism.

Graffiti is about creation.

its not just creation, its about art, its just like rap, its freedome of speech, only in this case its freedome of name, its for people to get there name around and be recognized, not by everyone just by other writers, graffiti is a form of art to some and vandalism to others, to us its what we like doing, its pretty much a way of life.. i wuldnt call it anything but that, its just simply art.. if you ask a random person who hates graffiti to do a simply throwie i bet theyll shit there pants trying to make one letter.. to us its a matter of seconds or minutes to make one quick throwie, so yeh i think graffiti is about art