The Nonsense thread

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
Sugar is HEAVILY processed, thru much back-breaking labor. There's a reason that slaves were used most heavily in tobacco, cotton, and sugar cane production--these are horrible jobs (pre-industrially) that you couldn't even get enough of the poorest people to do to fulfill the enormous labor demand.

In short: People don't home-farm sugar because they don't hate themselves that much. :-)

thats racist

I don't understand? Someone asked how to make sugar cane into sugar and all they get is why they don't need to be doing it. They didn't ask should they be processing cane sugar but how.

I was driving across Louisiana (zone 8 same as poster) a few years back. I stopped at a roadside produce stand. They had fresh squeezed cane juice and cane syrup for sale. They had a mule driven cane mill behind the stand and you could watch them mill the cane. The cane field was behind the cane mill. The owner said his boys cut the cane fresh each day. So I know you can grow sugar cane in zone 8 and you don't have to have slaves to cultivate it.

This just completely blew my mind. First a minor detail: squids do not possess ears. However, the same impulses created when audio is converted to an electrical signal, like what happens inside a microphone, can actually be gently applied to tissue, in this case the dorsal side of a squid fin. Joe Hanson over on It’s OK to be Smartexplains this better than I ever will. The video above comes from the team over at Backyard Brains who did some experiments at the Marine Biological Laboratory in Woods Hole, Massachusetts where a squid was hooked up to a special iPod playing Cypress Hill’s 1993 hit Insane in the Brain.

• Like 1