The Nonsense thread

Overtime

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

RESPONSIBILITY AND COMMON SENSE

Written by Rick Archer

First draft in July 2001

Most recent update in August 2007

Let's see if I understand how America works lately . . .

If a woman burns her thighs on the hot coffee she was holding in her lap while driving, she blames the restaurant.

If your teen-age son kills himself, you blame the rock & roll music or musician he liked.

If you smoke three packs a day for 40 years and die of lung cancer, your family blames the tobacco company.

If your daughter gets pregnant by the football captain you blame the school for poor sex education.

If a man cuts his finger off while slicing salami at work, He blames the restaurant.

If your neighbor crashes into a tree while driving home drunk, He blames the bartender.

If your grandchildren are Brats without manners, You blame television.

If your friend is shot by a Deranged madman, You blame the gun manufacturer..

And if a crazed person breaks into the cockpit and tries to kill the pilot at 35,000 feet,

And the passengers Kill him instead, the mother of the crazed deceased Blames the airline.

I must have lived too long to Understand the world As it is anymore.

Have we lost our minds? Has Common Sense died and left our country?

responsibility01.jpg

Obituary of Mr. Common Sense

Today we mourn the passing of a beloved old friend, Common Sense, who has been with us for many years. No one knows for sure how old he was, since his birth records were long ago lost in bureaucratic red tape. He will be remembered as having cultivated such valuable lessons as:

Knowing when to come in out of the rain

Why the early bird gets the worm

Life isn't always fair

Maybe it was my fault after all

Common Sense lived by simple, sound financial policies (don't spend more than you can earn) and reliable strategies (adults, not children, are in charge).

The health of Common Sense began to deteriorate rapidly when well-intentioned but overbearing regulations were set in place. Reports of a 6 -year- old boy charged with sexual harassment for kissing a classmate; teens suspended from school for using mouthwash after lunch; and a teacher fired for reprimanding an unruly student, only worsened his condition.

Common Sense lost ground when parents attacked teachers for doing the job that they themselves had failed to do in disciplining their unruly children. It declined even further when schools were required to get parental consent to administer Tylenol, sun lotion or a band-aid to a student; but could not inform parents when a student became pregnant and wanted to have an abortion.

Common Sense lost the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband; churches became businesses; and criminals received better treatment than their victims.

Common Sense took a beating when you couldn't defend yourself from a burglar in your own home and the burglar could sue you for assault.

Common Sense finally gave up the will to live, after a woman failed to realize that a steaming cup of coffee was hot. She spilled a little in her lap, and was promptly awarded a huge settlement. Common Sense was preceded in death by his parents, Truth and Trust; his wife, Discretion; his daughter, Responsibility; and his son, Reason.

He is survived by his 4 stepbrothers:

I Know My Rights

I Want it Now

Someone Else Is To Blame

I am A Victim

Not many attended his funeral because so few realized he was gone. If you still remember him, pass this on. If not, join the majority and do nothing

Family sues golf course over boy hit by lightning

By BILL MURPHY

The family of a boy struck by lightning while playing golf filed a negligence lawsuit Tuesday against the golf course, alleging the accident would not have happened had the course had lightning detection equipment.

Windrose Golf Club in Spring opened about three years ago and should have had the equipment, especially since Houston is prone to severe lightning storms, said John Tavormina, the family's lawyer.

Christopher Brehm, then 15, of Harris County, suffered a severe, permanent brain injury when he was hit by lightning while playing golf Aug. 8, 2000, Tavormina said.

A detection system, he said, would have alerted golf club workers that a lightning storm was approaching and the course needed to be cleared.

Hud Hinton, president of Troon Golf, which manages Windrose, said, "We feel badly for Christopher and his family."

But a Windrose employee, Hinton said, suggested Brehm and his teen-age playing partner leave the course because of the weather. The two were at the 10th hole and decided to play on.

"He was warned that it was a dangerous situation," Hinton said. "And it was suggested to him that he should leave. We warn them and let the customer make his own decision."

Brehm, Hinton said, was hit as he swung at the 13th hole. One of the risks that golfers assume, Hinton said, is swinging a metal club that can attract lightning.

Troon Golf does not have lightning detection systems at any of its 70 courses worldwide and has no plans to install them, Hinton said.

The systems, he said, are "fallible" and may give golfers "a false sense of security."

Tavormina disputed much of Hinton's account. A young girl selling soda told Brehm that "it looked like it was going to rain. She didn't say anything about lightning ," Tavormina said.

Brehm was not swinging, but holding a golf club below his waist and carrying a golf bag when lightning hit the club, Tavormina said.

A number of Houston courses, he said, have installed lightning detection systems, which cost about $5,000, and there is no reason all local courses should not have them.

Brehm, Tavormina said, usually uses a wheelchair, though he has learned to take a few steps. He cannot speak and requires nearly round-the-clock care from his parents, William and Karen Brehm.

The case was assigned to state District Judge Lamar McCorkle's court.

the hell is the vinyl record thread?

RIGHT HUUUUR!!!

robleto-patsyspool-sm.jpg

Thread made from Patsy Cline's "I Fall to Pieces" 45 rpm vinyl record,

spool and needle made of fool's gold.

Patsy Cline's "I Fall to Pieces" 45rpm vinyl record

was slowly sliced along outer rim until reaching center

then connected into one long thread and spooled.

1.5 x 1 x 1 inches. Collection of Eileen Harris Norton,

Santa Monica. Courtesy of the artist and Inman Gallery, Houston.

RIGHT HUUUUR!!!

Thread made from Patsy Cline's "I Fall to Pieces" 45 rpm vinyl record,

spool and needle made of fool's gold.

Patsy Cline's "I Fall to Pieces" 45rpm vinyl record

was slowly sliced along outer rim until reaching center

then connected into one long thread and spooled.

1.5 x 1 x 1 inches. Collection of Eileen Harris Norton,

Santa Monica. Courtesy of the artist and Inman Gallery, Houston.

Case2_522.jpg

case2-373x500.jpg

"case2 doesn't find that funny...not one bit"