The Photography Thread

MrChupacabra

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Someone brought this awesome hasselblad with a digital back into my job during an event we held. We shoot with the phase one 645df with a p25+ digital back so ive used medium format before but it i thought it looked pretty boss on the hasselblad. It was there to for a free cleaning and a check up by phase one certified technicians.

7887769986_0e8cf05af4.jpg

Yeah, pretty cool to see Rage's photos in the NYT. I didn't make the connection to 12oz til I got to that self-portrait and had a deja vu moment thinking of the Holgaroids he posted to this thread years ago. I havent logged in here for a while, but dropped by just to see who else had noticed.

Lighting is on point and his subjects are interesting just because it's a scene I know zilch about. It's interesting that Alan saw himself as an outsider in the bear scene, because his series has the tone of work done by someone deep in the mix.

those were some nice shots in the day in pies thread rolf. i always think about doing one of those and then forget to.

here are a couple of attempts at shooting a brenizer method. i've been kind of obsessed at learning it as the results can be pretty kickass in the right setting. i probably cropped these in a bit more than they should have been.

chocolate_cherry1of1.jpg

annie_11of1.jpg

• Like 2

Lighting and colors on the first one are very nice. Probably should clean that window next time though, haha. Second one got cropped too hard on the right side, in my opinion, as it looks wonky to clip such a tiny portion of her hair. Colors also seem very muted on my computer, especially on her skintone. Were the highlights on her left arm blown out and you were trying to recover them? Has a bit of that grey tone going on. No offense meant, as I'm guilty of that shit all the time when trying to pull back blown highlights.

To be honest, though I do like the first picture, I'm not really sure that the Brenizer method added much to that one. I feel like you probably could've got similar bokeh through the window in a single shot (unless the trees or plants or whatever are outside are really close to the window), though maybe I'm mistaken. It's a pretty cool technique though and can definitely have some awesome medium/large format looking results.

she was a bit blown out on the arm. it looks like i might have missed her hand when i was editing the exposure down. my wife's pale to begin with so that happens. i kinda fucked up when shooting and ended up with gaps between where i cropped her hair and the rest of the background, otherwise this would have been a much larger flick. i shot it with her pentax k-7 which i discovered she had on some sort of "muted" setting for the entire two years she has owned the camera. i wouldn't use the damn thing for that very reason. i was looking through the settings yesterday and discovered it had been on that setting and changed it to the "natural" setting.

you're def right about needing to clean the window. usually i do, lol. it probably didn't need to be a brenizer shot but i wanted to experiment with it. i usually shoot our promo shots with my 70-300 but wanted to try getting a better bokeh effect with a shorter lens at a closer distance. live and learn and whatever. thanks for the constructive criticism, it's good to hear otherwise i'd just keep making the same mistakes.

Can't help but laugh about the muted color settings for 2 years.

I'm always happy to give constructive criticism. I'm certainly no expert, but I think that's something that is missing from this thread a lot of the time. People get nervous about stepping on toes, but as long as people are respectful about it, it's a hell of a way to improve and see things from other peoples' perspectives. And at the end of the day, if you disagree with the constructive criticism, it's your call on how you want to take and process your photos. As much as I'm sure we all love people telling us how great our photos are, it doesn't really help in the big scheme of things. Where as the constructive criticism might point out something you never knew you could do, or how to do, never thought of, simply overlooked, or just a second and third opinion on what other photographers would do if they were shooting or processing the same photo.

I know there are enough of us who check this thread who are competent photographers with varied levels and types of experience, so I'd like to remind people to not be afraid to ask for constructive criticism and to also give it if you're looking at photos and think of something that YOU might do differently.

Edit:

she was a bit blown out on the arm. it looks like i might have missed her hand when i was editing the exposure down.

I was actually talking about her left arm, so frame right. Now that you point it out, you are right that the highlights on her right hand are a little blown, but that didn't really catch my eye as much as the greyish skintone on her left arm. The muted color setting probably wasn't helping matters on that either, haha. Some of it might also just be differences between our monitors.