SURVIVAL LIFE SKILLS 101

KaBar

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
  • Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

here is a little tid bit I have written on the back side of my bedroom door so I see it everyday.

Life is a series of lessons and a lesson will be repeated until it is learned.

and on the father tip...I grew up qith a dad in my household but my dad is and as far back as I can remember a really withdrawn individual that has a real problem with talking to me. A normal conversation for us is him asking me if I can do something for him while I am at home because due to his health status he can not do it. My dad has alot of health problems and I really don't think he has much time left and thats really bothering me that I don't have a "father son" relationship with him. I love him and I know he loves me but its sad that I spent 19 years living with him and its kinda akward being in the same room as him and especially sitting on the couch next to him.

basically ont eh whole father tip just because your there doesn't mean as much as letting someone know you are there.

Originally posted by Grandola

B E S T

T H R E A D

E V E R.

that's funny, i wasn't going to say anything but it just occurred to me how much i hate this thread. no offence to kabar or anybody else participating, but 12oz is the last place on earth i would go looking for legitimate advice.. most of you guys are just rattling off corny catch phrases that sound like you must have read them on a poster in the dentist's waiting room. there's no solution to our problems that somebody can just tap on your shoulder and tell you. it's not that what you're saying is wrong in any way, but i don't think a graffiti message board is the best place to tell people how to live their lives. you want advice? love yourself and be nice.

i'm sorry if i'm being an asshole, i guess it's really none of my business.

kabar:

4.) Include plans for a family. In today's society, people have lost the feeling that "a regular, normal life" includes marriage and kids. We have evolved into a nation of

30-year-old adolescents. This is a major reason why twenty-somethings and thirty-somethings have a feeling of being lost and unfulfilled. But as I said on another thread "Don't make any babies unless you want to be a Daddy." It's a long, long commitment, to raise a child to adulthood. Make decisions like this very carefully. Not everybody is parent material.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

a graffiti forum is good fucking place to find overaged adolescents. most of us got into this shit when we were around 13 and probably never though we'd still be doing it well into our twenties despite the legal consequences, tremendous waste of time etc...

when i run into people from school and their like "so you still doing that spray painting shit" im like "naw... not in years."

• 2 weeks later...

people with strong beliefs in ethics, religion, or moral values tend to get lost in what they're actually striving for. they are set in their ways. they dont let anyone tell them otherwise. this is where it gets dangerous. people have killed people n tha name of god or allah or whatever and they did this because they BELIEVED they were right. beliefs are dangerous...believe in nothing

MZEE

I realize you are probably just fooling around, and/or pretty young, but this is the sort of idea that winds up having disasterous consequences. Seeking to know the truth, winnowing out good ideas from poor ones, learning something about how to decide what is valuable and what is not is all a very important part of becoming an adult.

There are, of course, plenty of people who are chronologically over the age of majority (18) who are not actually functioning as adults. Too often, they tell themselves that they "believe in nothing," but this is not actually the case. To assert that one believes in "nothing" is to actually believe in nihilism. To assert (for instance) that there "is no God" is to confirm that the idea of God, the belief in God and that faith in God exists. Just not for you. For those that have faith, God exists in actual fact. For those that assert that God does not exist, God exists as an idea. The only people for whom God does not exist at all are those poor benighted souls that do not have and who have never had a concept of God. Very few people, especially in the modern world---maybe a few mentally retarded people or hermits or people who live in some remote part of the Amazon River Basin or some place like that.

Believeing in "nothing" is extremely rare. We all have a belief system. The question is "What is my belief system?" Once you begin to think about that, genuinely and sincerely, you begin to become an adult.

Want to know the origins of languages, nations and religion? Read "anacalypsis".

I KNOW god is real. Much realer than what I'm getting from the world which is very peculiar. But nonetheless, "How can one prove the non-existence of God without proving the existence?"

It all begins with you. As you grow... and hopefully you DO grow... you will come to realize that the non-existence of GOd is a ridiculous concept born of the lost blind and jaded....

We need more true believers... The world is in serious trouble. Don't let all of our efforts be in vain......................................

Guest HOST18 DYM
Originally posted by villain

I KNOW god is real. Much realer than what I'm getting from the world which is very peculiar.

Hey, wanna buy the Brooklyn bridge?

Guest batsnake

god does not exist. you were born by some fluke and when your lying on that cold hard metal slab and the doctors are poking you and your heart is dying and you brain is screaming and all lifes little mysteries come together and the doctors take that sickning grin and start turning green and their voices change as they carry you out of your body, well then its just over and a new baby is born in the next room.

Batsnake--You May Be Right

And I can't speak for anybody but myself, but I believe that God sent me a wake-up call when I was in a little trouble just to let me know He's still rollin'.

In 1969, I met a very cool older woman (older than me, anyway--I was 19, she was 31) in Montrose (Houston). Nancy was one of the original hippie girls in Texas, a transplanted Los Angeles hippie who was the divorced wife of a California disc jockey. She and I hit it off, and we were very good friends for a couple of years. Truth be told, though, I was too much younger than her to really appreciate the responsibilities of a grown-up relationship with a grown-up woman. I was still a kid, and Nancy knew it, but she loved me anyway.

After a while, an old friend of Nancy's showed up, a hippie from New Mexico's mountains, named Joe. Joe had hitch-hiked all the way from New Mexico to ask Nancy to marry him. She said "yes, " and they motored off in Nancy's crazy old three-cylinder Saab, with her Irish setter barking out the window.

After traveling all around, the Saab broke down in Phoenix, and that's where they settled. Joe got a job working on a lumber truck, and Nancy got a job in a sweatshop sewing factory, even though she was several months pregnant. To cut to the chase, they hit a rough patch that winter (1970), and Nancy sent me a tearful letter pouring out her heart about breaking up with her old man, being eight months pregnant, and broke on Welfare at Christmas.

I couldn't stand it. I decided to go visit her and try to take enough money to make it a little better. I rolled up my shit, loaded my ruck and set out hitching for Phoenix a week or so before Christmas.

The first night, I got a couple of rides, then got stuck right on the outskirts of Houston---nobody would pick me up, and I couldn't figure out why the drivers seemed so scared of me.

When daylight came, I could see back down the road several hundred yards, where some crazy-ass stoners were waving their arms at cars, trying to flag down a ride. They were running out into the middle of I-10 waving their arms, obviously higher than shit on something.

As it began to get light, the cops showed up and started chasing these assholes around, trying to arrest them. My heart sank. I knew it was just a matter of minutes before they came down and busted me too.

I was so bummed.

I was an anarchist revolutionary and a convinced atheist. I was absolutely certain that God was a bunch of bullshit made up by the ruling classes to enslave the masses, nothing more than boogey-man stories to scare the rubes into obeying the rules.

I looked up, disgustedly, and said, "OKAY, God! If you're really real, get me out of this--I want to go to Phoenix, not to jail!"

At that precise moment, a station wagon on the inside lane suddenly swerved to the side of the road and threw on the brakes. I grabbed my shit and ran to the car, jumping in and throwing my stuff into the back seat. As soon as I sat down, the driver floored the accelerator, and we went burning rubber back up onto the freeway. Cool! I squeaked out of that one!

I turned to thank the driver. She was about forty, with a very modest, conservative dress, with a high collar and three-quarter sleeves. Her hair was long, but piled up on top of her head in a not-too-fashionable "beehive" hair-do. She said:

"Son, I'm forty-four years old, and I've never picked up a hitch-hiker in my life--

But Jesus came into my heart, and told me to pick you up."

I couldn't believe my ears. I was still trying to be cynical and hard hearted, but as the trip went on, it became more and more excruciatingly obvious that this could not possibly be a co-incidence.

Her son had been a drug addict, and was saved at an LSD party when he freaked out and called his mother, who came to pray with him. He was rendered instantly sober, and left the party and all his dope-using buddies and never went back.

I had already heard this story--from Nancy. She had been AT that party, and witnessed it.

The woman was on her way to pick up her son and his new bride. They were on their honeymoon and had hit a deer, totalling their new van. I figured the guy would be completely pissed off. I would have been.

When I met the guy, I said, "Too bad about the van." He said, "Hey, it's all part of God's plan. Trust in Him. He's never steered me wrong yet."

I was thoroughly freaked out--the guy was serene as a smack addict after completely demolishing a brand new van. He was a youth minister at his church, and seemed to have faith by the ton.

There's a lot more to this story--probably enough for a good book--but just let me say that that was a Christmas I'll never forget. I didn't stay long with Nancy and Joe (they got back together) but after visiting for a couple of days, I headed back home, and rescued a handsome, freezing traveler in a sport coat. No hat, no coat, no gloves. Just a sport coat and a garment bag in the snow storm. By CHANCE, he was headed to Houston, just like me. "Can I hitch with you?" he asked. Hell, yeah, buddy. Why not?

While we shivered with our thumbs out, we played "What do you want for Christmas?" It turned out to be HOT COFFEE, fried chicken, ham sandwiches, potato salad, cold beer, etc., etc. We were starving, as well as freezing.

We got picked up by two beautiful "showgirls" from Las Vegas, headed home to the farm for Christmas in Ohio. They had been following this guy, sort of, having seen him hitch-hiking a couple of times, but he always got picked up by somebody else before they could stop and get to him.

When we jumped into their car ("Can you guys drive an automatic?") I got in the back seat. One of the girls was pregnant. Between us on the seat was a large basket, covered with a red-and-white checked tablecloth. It was a going-away present from their gay landlord. Guess what was in it?

HOT COFFEE in a Thermos. Fried chicken. Ham sandwiches. Potato salad. And in the trunk--cold beer in a cooler.

My travelling companion drove, and he and the other girl talked just about all night, driving across Arizona, and New Mexico. The one that wasn't pregnant fell in love with my travelling buddy, and they both begged us to come to Ohio for Christmas, but we had to go to Houston.

It was an awesome trip.

When we got out of the car at the junction of I-35 and I-45 in Dallas, and waved goodbye to the girls, Sport Coat turns to me and says, "Man! That was great. Is hitching always like this?"

We caught a ride with some freaks in a pick-up truck, and rode from Dallas to Houston in the back of an open pick-up.

We got to Houston on Christmas Eve about 7:30 p.m. His brother was a gay guy, in exile from Portland and his family (unbeknownst to Sport Coat). The brother lived FOUR BLOCKS from me. He burst into tears when he saw Sport Coat in my ratty-ass, skid-road Montrose living room. He thanked me profusely for getting Sport Coat safely to Houston, even though in a way, it was Sport Coat that got me to Houston, because the girls were following him.

All I can say, when somebody says "God doesn't exist" is well, maybe for you He doesn't. But this ex-anarchist, ex-atheist thinks differently now. How much proof does a person need? God didn't speak to me out of a burning bush, but he sure did let me know what's happening.

my grandpa's dieing

i really do apologize for creating this many days in the time span of one day this is gonna be the last one.....im aware of the time...and i expect limited responses but i have a question....

my grandfather is dieing and my parents are leaving to go see him (he has lung cancer for some time;they think hes gonna die any day now)

they want me to go see him...but i told them that i didnt want to...my reasons for my decision were because when my mother was young he would get drrunk and start to beat my mother...im not interely sure but i suspect that he more than likely raped her and my aunts when she was little its kind of a gut feeling;the way my mom acts toward us...well he has been out of our my mothers life for about 25 years now and recently hes been sick with lung cancer my parents have been giving him money for things 100 dollars at a time every week or so to us thats alot of money well i refuse to see him because where was he when he was doing well he could have easily seen us and our family....now my question is this.....is this a normal feeling to have against my grandfather...im mexican and a mexican family is raised having deep respect for elders....especially family...

should i go and see him?

nobody is asking you to absolve him of sin... GO... make peace... you will NEVER have the chance again, plus your parents could use your support.

Be a man. Your mother can go and, according to you, she actually took the abuse. Grow up. This will teach you alot about why older people are more serious and thoughtful about everything.

When he's gone, maybe not for years, but when he's gone your family will start to talk about him in ways so honest you will be shocked. I mean, maybe not in front of mixed company, or even in happy or loud tones but... It is the nature of things, he will be forever judged by evryone that knew him. Give him his chance at rest before he passes.

Archived