Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

The creative, the weird, and the fucked up

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by SilentBob, Apr 30, 2004.

1. SilentBob

SilentBob Member

This is an old cliche, but its really true

ever noticed how creative people, like good artists or poets and musicians, both now and in history, are normally totally weird or atleast don't have their shit the slightest bit together ?

There are exceptions ofcourse there always are. But the general bulk of creative people are normally if not strange, then crazy substance abusers or suicidal or deaf musicians or something along those lines.

It makes you wonder why we have a society where normal is something you want to be ... or atleast most people try to pass themselfs off as ( note this doesn't mean being Joe conservative... by normal I mean conforming with humanity ... it's a bit hard to articulate.. but it seems almost everying is fitting in with some sort of group or cultural perception) .... Its just a strange phenomenon ... It also makes you wonder if being a creative person is a good thing at all .. like if your good at writing does it mean you might be doomed to a buck wild william blake kind of existence ? ( if your a girl replace blake with uhhhhhh sylvia plath ? )

that is all ..

2. Mr Milk85

Mr Milk85 New Jack

"Damn, my life is messed up...hey, wait a second...I'm a fuckin genius!"
    stupidity

3. SilentBob

SilentBob Member

no man, your twisting my words. I'm not saying you have to be hectic or strange to be great at whatever it is your want to be great at. Or that being hectic makes you great. I'm just saying there is definately a trend.

4. DR+DELUSION

DR+DELUSION Member

hmmmm i enjoy this topic.

i've always wondered....does my creativity/artistic nature come from the fact that i'm a bit off my rocker? or is it vice versa?

5. Dick Quickwood

Dick Quickwood 12oz Loyalist

6. Vanity

Vanity Veteran Member

i'd rather be happy than creative any day

and i'm sure these days, lots of people jerk themselves off into thinking they're isolated and in need of medications and all that jazz, just so they can 'express themselves through art' because they lack any real communication skills.

i'm done

7. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Veteran Member

last semester in my sociology class i did a project on suicide and all the demographics behind it. while reading a bunch of shit i came across a paper in the american journal of sociology all about how artists are at a much greater risk of suicide. it was very detailed and well layed out (as most journal articles are i guess...) and listed off all the professions that entail being an artist (ie: author, musician, painter, etc.) it concluded that the rate of suicide amongst members of the art community is something like 400% greater than "normal" professions, and that the rate of mental diseases was even higher than the risk of suicide.

*it might not have actually been 400%. im halfway sure it was. but it was some figure that made me go "wow alright". i should really try to find that article again.

8. graf muse

graf muse New Jack

Yeah, and did anyone catch in the documentary of Style Wars, I forget who, says "the kids with the most fucked up home life were the ones with the craziest wildstyle."

There is definitley a correlation with nuttyness or "eccentricness" and creativity.

9. sarcasm

sarcasm Elite Member

creativity sticks out, because if creativity was just the "norm" it wouldn't be speicial. hence your claim, for those who had artistic value, were weird. hence, the weird was not the norm, so overall, their wierdness, made them stand out, in which their art, stood out form the "regular" art produced.

did that at all make sense?

Conclusion: Think outside the box.

10. thehavenots

thehavenots Junior Member

"what came first, the music or the misery?"

11. bigpoppa.k

bigpoppa.k Elite Member

i went through a spell a little whille ago where i dreamt about specific events happening to specific people before they happened.
    for instance: a certain person getting hit by a car, only for it to actually happen the next day...

i've also been told, "You're pretty fucked up aren't you"... reply, "Why yes I am".

12. villain

villain Veteran Member

Life is not easy for visionaries and heretics. I like to correlate artists with religious figures because there are many parallels. Besides, artistic expression is very introspective dealing with such intangible subjects. But yeah, people only think we are crazy because they don't understand us. Besides, not being normal can be difficult and even fatal. It's an age old battle between institutions and establishments verses visionaries and heretics. Unfortunately it can take society centuries to catch on to what we were up to. :rolleyes:

13. gfreshsushi

gfreshsushi Senior Member

normal people paint bunnies.
    crazy people paint robotic death rabbits of doom with carrot lazers and one eye that's a little bit bigger than the other one and its paws are made of steel so when it hops on the pavement it makes a terrible scratching sound and it looks tortured.

or not. whatever.

14. Deist

Deist Guest

15. Rimshot

Rimshot Member

These meds for like ADD ADHD and such are bull shit, ive taken pretty much everyone of them, all it does it make your eating cycles wierd. people actually ask me to sell them aderall (for ADHD) so they can lose weight.:rolleyes: