Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

1. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum...
    You are currently logged out and viewing our forum as a guest which only allows limited access to our discussions, photos and other forum features. If you are a 12ozProphet Member please login to get the full experience.

If you are not a 12ozProphet Member, please take a moment to register to gain full access to our website and all of its features. As a 12ozProphet Member you will be able to post comments, start discussions, communicate privately with other members and access members-only content. Registration is fast, simple and free, so join today and be a part of the largest and longest running Graffiti, Art, Style & Culture forum online.

Please note, if you are a 12ozProphet Member and are locked out of your account, you can recover your account using the 'lost password' link in the login form. If you no longer have access to the email you registered with, please email us at [email protected] and we'll help you recover your account. Welcome to the 12ozProphet Forum (and don't forget to follow @12ozprophet in Instagram)!

SF's most celebrated professional drunk arrested for 128th time

Discussion in 'Channel Zero' started by Poop Man Bob, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

http://www.sfgate.com/chronicle/pictures/2002/10/06/ba_sanchez2.jpg'>

[SIZE=2]Back in custody: One of the most egregious examples of San Francisco's homeless problem is the system's difficulty in dealing with Paul Sanchez, who has been arrested 128 times and taken to the hospital 50 times.
    [/SIZE]

[b]San Francisco[/b] -- Heeeeeee's back.

Paul Sanchez, the public drunk who had been picked up a dizzying 124 times in San Francisco the last time we counted, is back in jail again -- having clocked up another four arrests for some form of public drunkenness.

Sanchez now resides in the medical wing of the County Jail, doing a 130-day stretch for resisting arrest after throwing an empty vodka bottle at a cop. The cop had revived him while Sanchez lay passed out in a doorway near Castro and Market.

Sanchez is a legend among the city's beat cops and paramedics -- and he's become Exhibit A for the growing problems caused by the city's street people.

His latest arrest, while hair-raising, was also typical for Sanchez.

It all started Sept. 25 when the cops got a call about a drunk passed out in a store doorway where Sanchez has repeatedly been picked up in the past.

Officers showed up and found Sanchez, sleeping in his own excrement. They woke him up and told him he was violating the stay-away order imposed on him five arrests ago.

"F-- the judge! I can stay here if I want to!" Sanchez screamed, according to the police report. Then he picked up the empty vodka bottle and threw it at the cop.

More police were called -- and so was an ambulance. Sanchez tried to spit on the cops.

When they got there, medics had to wrap Sanchez in a biohazard bag and a blanket, then tie him down with restraints before putting him in the ambulance.

From there, he was taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where medical crews cut off his clothing -- and burned it -- sponged him off, checked him out and sent him off to jail.

The ambulance that brought him in had to be deloused.

All in all, it took up a good part of two cops' day, plus the ER staff at San Francisco General, plus the ambulance ride, which alone cost the city about $1,000.

And that pretty much sums up Sanchez's 128th trip to jail -- and from what we hear, his 50th ambulance trip this year to the ER.

"Which is really something," said one cop, "considering he's spent half of this year in jail already."

The last time we wrote about Sanchez, he was on arrest No. 124, which included an assault charge on a nurse.

The arresting officer in that case, Lisa Frazer, personally walked the case down to District Attorney Terence Hallinan's office and tried to get Sanchez --

who is showing signs of alcohol-induced dementia -- put into some kind of locked rehab program.

The judge took one look at Sanchez -- who, having sat in jail for weeks, was cleaned up, quiet and sober -- and decided he didn't warrant commitment. The judge gave him a choice between a six-month jolt in County Jail or going to an unlocked alcohol rehab program.

Sanchez said he didn't want to be "dogged" by any program and opted to stay in jail, where by all accounts he was no trouble at all.

Four months later, he was out with good behavior.

And the very next day, the cops found him passed out in the same doorway where they'd picked him up four months earlier.

That same doorway is where we rejoined the Sanchez story at arrest No. 128.

As usual, Sanchez was initially charged with a slew of offenses, including creating a public nuisance, assault with a deadly weapon, assault on an official, disobeying a stay-away order and resisting arrest.

And as usual, most of the charges were pleaded down to one count -- this time it was resisting arrest.

Sanchez was sentenced to four months in jail.

With good behavior, he should be be out on Nov. 9.

And on Nov. 10?

If history is any indication, Sanchez will be right back in the same doorway -- passed out drunk.

"The real story here is about a system that is broken," said D.A. spokesman Mark MacNamara. "Some people say it's because there's not enough money, some say it's because people just don't give a damn.

"But the fact is in various parts of the system there are people -- even judges -- who just don't want to deal with the Paul Sanchezes of the world. They're just too tough." .

2. Poop Man Bob

Poop Man Bob Dirty Dozen Crew

3. Dr. Dazzle

Dr. Dazzle Veteran Member

That guy is my hero.....

4. Devilush

Devilush 12oz Legend

i see dude all the time. stinky mother fucker.

5. effyoo

effyoo Elite Member

The funny parts:

1) "They woke him up and told him he was violating the stay-away order imposed on him five arrests ago." I like how they measure time by arrests.
    2)"medics had to wrap Sanchez in a biohazard bag and a blanket" holy fuck this guy must be a walking fleabag
    3)"he was taken to San Francisco General Hospital, where medical crews cut off his clothing -- and burned it"

Actually the whole thing is pretty funny. Or sad, depending on how you look at it.

6. Merdle

Merdle Guest

Hahaha thats some funny shit.

7. Wilt

Wilt Guest

8. Dirty_habiT

Dirty_habiT Administrator

Cheers Paul, I'll drink one for you tonight, even though I don't drink.

9. whiskybar

whiskybar Member

im in nyc and i've been to quite a few citys, so when my boy was like yo there's mad homeless in SF- i was like whatever. When i got there i was like holy shit-homeless peeps and junkies every where.

10. WhAt_dA_fUcK

WhAt_dA_fUcK Senior Member

hahahahaha.........grade A comedy

11. Secret

Secret Elite Member

Yep. He looks like a typical San Francisco crackhead.

12. B_As_In_Bot

B_As_In_Bot Elite Member

13. Wilt

Wilt Guest

WE MUST BE FUCKING RELATED...HOLY SHIT..IM FUCKING FLIPPING OUT HERE....!!!!!!!!!

14. DITDxCULT

DITDxCULT Senior Member

He looks like my father in-law

15. GRAFARONI

GRAFARONI Member

I gave this bitch the leftovers of my burrito on haight street and he threw it at me.