Saddam appears in court

heavyLox

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40335000/jpg/_40335365_saddam_b203_5.jpg'>

Defiant Saddam appears in court

Saddam: Both defiant and downcast

Iraq's ex-leader Saddam Hussein has made a defiant first appearance before an Iraqi judge, branding President George W Bush as the "real criminal".

He defended Iraq's invasion of Kuwait in 1990, said he was still president and rejected the court's jurisdiction.

He arrived in handcuffs and chains at the court near Baghdad airport to hear charges of war crimes and genocide.

TV pictures of the hearing were released to international broadcasters shortly after the hearing finished.

'Theatre'

The images - cleared for broadcast by the US military - were the first of Saddam Hussein since his capture in December. They showed Iraq's former president looking thin, haggard and with a trimmed, grey beard. http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/40335000/jpg/_40335367_saddam3_i203_ap.jpg'>

Seven preliminary charges were read out to him, including accusations over the campaign against the Kurds in the 1980s, which included the use of chemical weapons in Halabja, and the suppression of Kurdish and Shia uprisings after the 1991 Gulf War.

Hearing the charge relating to Halabja, where about 5,000 Kurdish civilians died in a single day, Saddam Hussein said, "Yes, I heard about that."

He became most agitated when he was accused of invading Kuwait in 1990.

"How can you, as an Iraqi, say the 'invasion of Kuwait' when Kuwait is part of Iraq?" he asked the judge, whose face was not shown on the film and whose identity is being kept secret for security reasons.

He said he invaded Kuwait "for the Iraqi people" and referred to Kuwaitis as "dogs", for which he was rebuked by the judge.

Saddam Hussein refused at the end to sign legal papers confirming that he had been read his rights and understood the case against him, saying he wanted his lawyer in court.

He was then taken back to jail, while the charges were read out one-by-one against the 11 other accused.

These include former Deputy Prime Minister Tariq Aziz and Ali Hasan al-Majid, known as "Chemical Ali" for his alleged role in poison gas attacks, who were formally transferred from US to Iraqi custody on Wednesday.

more pon more

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

the iraqi people really felt 'justice' when we bombed the shit out of the sons, right?

puh leeeze.

they'll kill him for sure, it's just a matter of when.

i have to say, i expected nothing less.

when is he gonna mention that the United States INSTALLED HIM AS LEADER in the seventies?

Originally posted by S@T@N

.....? No comedy? Apparently I shouldn't joke about killing a mass murderer

in comical ways. Should we just use a bullet?

Actually yeah, that would make me happier. As a guy who was brought up in a Muslim family I don't really like hearing things about Allah not accepting beardless people. I know to get offended over this kind of misses the point of your joke ... and I wasn't exactly swivvling my chair in outrage ... but it constitute a rolling of the eyes on my behalf ... simple non ?

Originally posted by Ferris Bueller

i wouldn't say that he has a really low iq.

saddam was very well educated, in fact. he might be a little crazy, though.

I believe he was talking about "Destination" not Saddam.

It would be interesting if I was smarter than Saddam. I'm sure a few ways, I might be....but who cares. Haha.

http://www.kak.ru/images/archive/15/ierogliph/tm20.jpg'>

Guest BROWNer

Re: *believe*

Originally posted by WebsterUno

damn, saddam looks like

nick tortelli from cheers.

HAHAHAHAHA!

Archived