Rather odd event on Meet The Press this morning.

Poop Man Bob

Link to video.

http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm

BLEEP THE PRESS: CAMERA MOVED OFF POWELL DURING RUSSERT GRILLING; AIDE ATTEMPTED TO CUT OFF INTERVIEW

Sun May 16 2004 10:45:35 ET

An aide to Sec. of State Colin Powell ordered a halt to a MEET THE PRESS interview and directed a camera to shoot a palm tree during provocative questioning by host Tim Russert! Powell was being interview by satellite from Jordan. State Department press aide Emily Miller fumed as Tim Russert went beyond the 10 minutes allotted for the NBC Sunday session.

+++

13 minutes in to the interview, Miller attempted to pull the plug. As Russert grilled Powell on his presentation at the UN of Iraq's alleged WMDs -- Miller moved the single remote camera off Powell.

"You're off," Miller announced.

"I am not off," Powell warned.

"No. They can't use it, they're editing it..." Miller said on an open microphone.

"Emily, get out of the way. Bring the camera back please," the secretary snapped.

Russert aired the exchange unedited. Powell was 45 minutes late to the taping, a top source explained.

+++

NBC's MEET THE PRESS transcript:

TIM RUSSERT: Finally, Mr. Secretary, in February of 2003, you placed your enormous personal credibility before the United Nations and laid out a case against Saddam Hussein, citing ...

(Camera moved off of interview subject)

EMILY MILLER, STATE DEPARTMENT PRESS AIDE: You're off.

SECRETARY POWELL: I am not off.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: No. They can't use it, they're editing it.

SECRETARY POWELL: He's still asking the questions.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: He was not ...

SECRETARY POWELL: Tim, I am sorry I lost you.

MR. RUSSERT: I am right here Mr. Secretary. I would hope they would put you back on camera. I don't know who did that.

EMILY MILLER, PRESS AIDE: He was going to go for another five minutes.

SECRETARY POWELL: We've really scre...

MR. RUSSERT: I think that was one of your staff Mr. Secretary. I don't think that's appropriate.

SECRETARY POWELL: Emily, get out of the way. Bring the camera back please. (Camera returns to the interview subject) I think we're back on Tim, go ahead with your last question.

MR. RUSSERT: Thank you very much, sir.

In February of 2003, you put your enormous personal reputation on the line before the United Nations and said that you had solid sources for the case against Saddam Hussein. It now appears that an agent called "Curve Ball" had misled the CIA by suggesting that Saddam had trucks and trains that were delivering biological chemical weapons.

How concerned are you that some of the information you shared with the world is now inaccurate and discredited?

SECRETARY POWELL: I'm very concerned. When I made that presentation in February 2003, it was based on the best information that the Central Intelligence Agency made available to me. We studied it carefully. We looked at the sourcing and the case of the mobile trucks and trains. There was multiple sourcing for that. Unfortunately, that multiple sourcing over time has turned out to be not accurate, and so I'm deeply disappointed.

But I'm also comfortable that at the time that I made the presentation it reflected the collective judgment, the sound judgment, of the intelligence community, but it turned out that the sourcing was inaccurate and wrong and, in some cases, deliberately misleading. And for that I'm disappointed, and I regret it.

MR. RUSSERT: Mr. Secretary, we thank you very much for joining us again and sharing your views with us today. SECRETARY POWELL: Thanks, Tim.

(END OF PRE-TAPE INTERVIEW)

MR. RUSSERT: AND THAT WAS AN UNEDITED INTERVIEW WITH THE SECRETARY OF STATE, TAPED EARLIER THIS MORNING FROM JORDAN. WE APPRECIATE SECRETARY POWELL'S WILLINGNESS TO OVERRULE HIS PRESS AIDES' ATTEMPT TO ABRUPTLY CUT OFF OUR DISCUSSION AS I BEGAN TO ASK MY FINAL QUESTION.

I'm glad Russert stood up for himself and called shenanigans.

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.

Don't tell me: the press aide was a bush/rove/rumsfeld/one of those scary fuckers appointee, right?

The Bhagdad press office is actually packed with people who worked on the bush election campaign in 2000.

from what i understand (and its not much) Colin Powell was kept out of the loop for alot of the iraqi decisions. it seems very possible to me that he was lied too and used, of course this could also be what colin powell is trying to impress upon the public. seeing videos like this make me really question reality ... :confused:

Milton, we can't have you getting beheaded. I say we start the "Send Tease To Bhagdad" thread. </bad joke>

Colin Powell knew what he was getting himself into, when he was preparing for the UN speech he threw their "evidence" in the air and said "I'm not reading this, this is bullshit" or something close to that. He's just an empty suit now completely devoid of credibility.

Originally posted by $360

someone got fired

I don't know .. can we name anyone, despite their overwhelming incompetence, that has been fired by this misadministration?

Besides, if she does get fired, I can guarantee you she'll be hired by Fox News within 24 hours.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

After Powell's UN presentation in February 2003, I have no desire to give him any respect. He lied to the world.

You can make whatever decision you want but... I don't think he did. I think he represented the facts as he knew them.

Just a couple years ago the buzz around Powell was 'possible first black president'... I doubt he would risk his entire future by knowingly lying to the world.

Sure, Bush would lie, he's at the top of the pile and has nowhere to go but down... Rumsfeld, Cheney, both businessmen who really don't have a political future on the front of things either... but... Powell doesn't come off like that...

Imho, The 2 to trust are Condi Rice and Colin Powell and we (or I) have seen them both set up to take the fall by their boss several times since 2000... I also think that for either to quit would be commiting career suicide so they are behind the 8 ball and their boss knows that. Bush also doesn't care if they have no credibility when he's out of office so he's just using them to the hilt, putting them in front of every touchy issue he can. I would bet both Rice and Powell are secretly VERY sorry they jumped on the Bush train. They now can't jump back off so they may be fucked either way but... sometimes they react to press questions almost as if they are being held captive.

Russert, on the other hand, is the fucking MAN! He's willing to pin ANYONE to the wall... Does anyone remember his interview with Bush? It was like 1 minute of fluff and the rest of the time Bush just squirmed under intense questioning... Russert has a gift of being able to ask tough questions without aligning himself with any particular political viewpoint, he doesn't come off liberal or conservative, just inquisitive. I don't know anthing about his personal life but from a professional standpoint he is one of my heros.

Originally posted by Smart

You can make whatever decision you want but... I don't think he did. I think he represented the facts as he knew them.

Yeah, I suppose intent is the one missing element from being able to say he outright lied. I still maintain, however, that when one is presented with a range of intelligence, you should elucidate the fact that there is a range of intelligence - that it's not all one-sided. There was a lot of disagreement amongst the intelligence community re: the information used to justify the war (see Powell's UN presentation). However, Joe Public was only told the facts that aided the misadministration's case for war. Granted, it's human nature to want to rely on whatever makes your case. But we were told these were all "facts." Plus, they should be held to a higher standard given that the Bushies were making a case for war.

So, his (or someone else's, but it came from his mouth) decision to consciously ignore a range of information and present the other side as fact lends credence to my assessment of him being a liar.

Originally posted by Smart

I don't know anthing about his personal life but from a professional standpoint he is one of my heros.

He actually just came out with a book about him and his dad. Link.

Before you call me on it, I know that there isn't a government in the world that will detail both sides of intelligence before making a public decision. That's a given. I hope my previous post didn't make it look like that's what I was expecting.

I simply wish that a more educated decision was made. You don't present one side as written in stone when it's not. I keep hearing the Bushies say, "well, that was the best intelligence we had!" No. No, it wasn't the best information you had. There was intelligence that ended up being the truth - that was the best intelligence.

Originally posted by Poop Man Bob

So, his (or someone else's, but it came from his mouth) decision to consciously ignore a range of information and present the other side as fact lends credence to my assessment of him being a liar.

True, but I still feel that he was most likely led down the primrose path... I think it's likely that he was pressured by the 'big 3' to ignore conflicting reports and focus on what they wanted him to... I guess I failed to say that while I respect him and don't belive him to be a willing liar, I wouldn't vote for him after this.

Of course I should point out that I've never voted for a Republican candidate ever, in ANY race, including local school board positions and such. I also have no intention of voting that way in the future... but before all this I at least considered him a worthy adversary, now I consider him a dupe.

*good looking out on that Russert book, I'll look into that!

A close family friend of mine lost his job with the cia over the whole WMD in Iraq. He was part of the disarment of Russia and was a close advisor to Bush Clinton and Bush. After all these years he didnt lie about shit but some one has to take the fall every time and its not gonna be the president.

hahahaha.....i was wondering if someone would mention this...

shit had me confused which is not hard on a sunday morning...but i even watched the late nite one, but still couldnt quite get what was occuring...

think someones packing their office into boxes this AM...

fuckin A.

i am sorry i missed this.

i was sleeping in late for once.

oh well.

i'm glad at least, powell returned to finish the interview.

i think it says something about the guy

and i agree that at the u.n. , he probably thought he was doing the right, just thing.

i heard he won't continue as sec of state if bushie is reelected.

i think powell is a genuine guy who was hired by the wrong person.

Archived