2020+ DRONING day/night hell yeah thread

Dark_Knight

This forum is supported by the 12ozProphet Shop, so go buy a shirt and help support!
This forum is brought to you by the 12ozProphet Shop.
This forum is brought to you by the 12oz Shop.
2 hours ago, Dark_Knight said:

Here’s a video of a bad crash I had. Still don’t know what happened, but I lost control of the drone. I’m assuming it was some sort of magnetic interference. Luckily I found it the next day in the rat infested brush along side the cuyahoga. All four props were broken.

4C17F44B-698C-49D8-879D-A51E505DDF04.MOV 11.97 MB · 2 downloads

That crash was rad. Definitely some EM stuff.

I almost lost my first big Syma drone by flying it during the eclipse several years ago. 

5 hours ago, Dirty_habiT said:

Those may be ok, but the question ALWAYS for me with this kind of stuff is.... what app and who owns/wrote the app are you trying to get me to install on my phone that basically has access to everything about my personal life.

I cannot echo and reinforce this strongly enough (include all phone apps, doorbell camera's home security systems, etc.). I've lost count of how many times commercial systems have been caught sending data back to parent companies without the knowledge and express consent of the user. That's bad enough in isolation, but many of these companies are China-based/owned and Chinese law forces them to open all books/databases to the Ministry of State Security when asked to do so (hence why Huawei is kryptonite).

That aside, drone racing is awesome, would love to get into it one day and the idea of self-contained home security systems that utlise mini-autonomous vehicles, which interact with static sensors is so cool (in theory, at least).

Edited by Hua Guofang
  • Like 2
  • Truth 1

1 hour ago, Hua Guofang said:

I cannot echo and reinforce this strongly enough (include all phone apps, doorbell camera's home security systems, etc.). I've lost count of how many times commercial systems have been caught sending data back to parent companies without the knowledge and express consent of the user. That's bad enough in isolation, but many of these companies are China-based/owned and Chinese law forces them to open all books/databases to the Ministry of State Security when asked to do so (hence why Huawei is kryptonite).

That aside, drone racing is awesome, would love to get into it one day and the idea of self-contained home security systems that utlise mini-autonomous vehicles, which interact with static sensors is so cool (in theory, at least).

I believe Stratfor did an assessment, too. 

https://content.dji.com/dji-approved-by-doi/

• 4 weeks later...

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/12/faa-finally-sets-rules-for-piloting-small-drones/

After months of uncertainty, corporations and hobbyists alike finally have a set of drone guidelines from the Federal Aviation Administration. The final rules are a step back from some proposed restrictions, as they will allow flights over crowds and some nighttime operations. But all drones weighing over 0.25kg (0.55lb) will need to have a unique Remote ID, as will smaller drones that are flown over crowds.

One proposal that didn't make the final cut would have required Remote ID to connect over the Internet to a location-tracking database so drone operations could be monitored in real time by the FAA (and law enforcement). The FAA believes that Remote ID, which will locally transmit the location of both drone and "control stations," meets the needs of national security and law enforcement.

"These final rules carefully address safety, security and privacy concerns while advancing opportunities for innovation and utilization of drone technology," said US Secretary of Transportation Elaine L. Chao in a press release.

Remote ID is a must for all drones over the half-pound weight limit. Obviously, there are a large number of hobbyist drones in operation that lack Remote ID capability. To get around this, the FAA says that such drones should be affixed with a "Remote ID broadcast module" that would broadcast the relevant information. The only other alternative is to fly a drone solely at specific "FAA-recognized identification areas."

The FAA has created four categories [PDF] for drones. Category 1 is for drones under the weight limit that are not covered by this rule-making. Categories 2 and 3 are essentially defined by the amount of injury they could cause in a crash, while Category 4 is for drones that need an airworthiness certificate. Category 1-3 drones are permitted to operate over people, but not continuously fly above moving vehicles.

Drones operating under the cover of darkness will need navigation lights viewable from three miles away. Those wishing to fly at night will need to pass a test first.

Both UPS and Amazon have received federal approval for limited drone deliveries, and the new rules are seen as a positive for them and other companies looking to commercialize delivery by drone.

The new rules will take effect 60 days after publication in the Federal Register. Once published, drone manufacturers have an 18-month window in which to begin building drones with Remote ID baked in. One year after that window closes, all drone operators will need to be flying drones that broadcast their Remote ID.

• 2 years later...

I..................want.....................one!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was either that or my MSI Laptop.

Now, every one knows what they do and the capabilities, I have in dept questions:

Has anybody placed a drone in a tripod just to use the camera(s) ?  Can you just record/pics by not lifting off?  If not, I guess I can take off the blades.

When it records, can you hear the blades spinning? Have you used it indoors to tell ?

Speaking of indoors, are they any good? I have L shaped halls with doors, can it follow me with ease? They can avoid branches, can the go through a maze?

When used indoors, does it know if its too close to walls and not take off?

Asking, because to me its an investment, not a toy. Dropping 2k+, by now it should meet my standards. If you have one and bored, let me know.

On 11/29/2020 at 5:57 AM, lord_casek said:

Lol. Cinematography/videography, my dude. I learned about cameras because I fly drones, then moved to ground based filming and set myself up with a nice mirrorless camera, gimbal, field monitor, multiple lenses, etc. Even bought a nice editing rig and monitor a few months ago to complete the circle. 

I love talking about that ^ more than I love talking about politics. 

What mirrorless did you go with? I bought into it with the original Olympus OM EM1 with lenses.

Whilst I know this isn’t the thread for such talks I’m still curious to hear about it, and while i don’t have a drone yet, if My Youtube van life videos can eventually finance a drone and a rooftop storage container to keep it in then I’ll get one for sure.

The thing I found with DJI stuff when I bought My OM5 gimbal for My phone was how much work it requires to learn new apps and features with all the tech we are bombarded with these days. I swear I use only a tiny portion of the featureset of any particular app, but hopefully going forward I can learn more as I go about making videos.